Albert and the Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the Photoelectric Effect and Einstein's involvement in it. The person asking for help is looking for a website that explains Einstein's experiment for the Photoelectric Effect, but has only found procedures for proving him right. Another person mentions that Einstein did not carry out any experiment, but rather proposed what happens when a photon hits a metal plate. Milikan's experiment later confirmed Einstein's prediction. It is also mentioned that Einstein is a theoretical physicist and does not prefer the experimental side of physics.
Garen

Homework Statement

My question isn't about a specific problem, but I was wondering if anyone had a good website that explicitly explains Einstein's experiment for the Photoelectric Effect. I've had trouble finding what he did. The only procedures that I've come across are those of proving he was right.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Einstein just predicted it in 1905 and Millikan proved it 10 or some odd years later. He was a relatively smart guy or something.

Einstein didn't carry out any experiment. He merely proposed what happens when a photon hits the surface of a metal plate.

Milikan's experiment confirmed Einstein's prediction.

Einstein is a theoretical physicists... And as far as I know, this guy don't really like the experimental side of Physics.

Thanks so much

Related to Albert and the Photoelectric Effect

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where certain metals emit electrons when exposed to light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed and explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the significance of Albert Einstein's contribution to the understanding of the photoelectric effect?

Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect helped to revolutionize our understanding of light and energy. His work on the photoelectric effect also contributed to the development of quantum mechanics.

How does the photoelectric effect relate to the dual nature of light?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the dual nature of light, which states that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties. The emission of electrons from metals when exposed to light suggests that light behaves as a stream of particles, known as photons.

What are some practical applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is used in a variety of applications, including solar panels, photovoltaic cells, and photoelectric sensors. It is also used in photography and in the production of X-rays.