Interpreting I-V graphs in Photoelectric effect

However, it does explain why at saturation voltage, higher frequency doesn't increase the photocurrent because all the electrons have already reached the anode. So in summary, the rate of change of charge (I) is directly proportional to the speed of the charge (KE) and at saturation voltage, all the electrons have already reached the anode regardless of their speed, hence, increasing frequency does not increase the photocurrent.
Curious12345

Homework Statement

In photoelectric effect I-V graphs, for the same intensity but with different light frequencies (f2>f1), the I-V graph has the same max photocurrent but |Vs2| > |Vs1|. If we concentrate between the cutoff and the saturation regions of the I-V graph, we can see that at any given applied voltage, the photocurrent from the case with light freq f2 is higher than that with f1. Seems the saying increase freq only increases max KE but not the photocurrent cannot explain this observation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there are lost of discussions in this and other forums about frequency only increase KE of liberated electrons but not the photocurrent. However, it seems to me that they are talking about the max photocurrent, i.e. the saturation region of the I-V graph but not the "linear" region of the I-V graph. Could the photocurrent for f2 higher than f1 due to the fact that space-charge still exist in this region and therefore the probability of an electron arriving at anode increases with increased KE (specially when the applied voltage is negative)?

Attachments

• PE I-V Graph.png
    PE I-V Graph.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,349
Physics news on Phys.org
If you think of I in terms of dq/dt what does that tell you about the the relationship between current and the speed of a charge?

AM

Curious12345 said:
I know that there are lost of discussions in this and other forums about frequency only increase KE of liberated electrons but not the photocurrent. However, it seems to me that they are talking about the max photocurrent, i.e. the saturation region of the I-V graph but not the "linear" region of the I-V graph. Could the photocurrent for f2 higher than f1 due to the fact that space-charge still exist in this region and therefore the probability of an electron arriving at anode increases with increased KE (specially when the applied voltage is negative)?
Yes, the maximum KE of the liberated electrons increase with the frequency of the light, but they have to reach the anode to contribute to the photocurrent. If the anode is at high enough negative potential, the electrons lose the KE when they travel away from the cathode and fall back into it. Even at zero or low positive applied voltage , there is a space charge region, where the electrons are attracted back to the cathode, and only the fastest reach the anode. At high enough positive potential of the anode, all the liberated electrons can leave the neighborhood of the cathode and we get the saturation current. With increasing frequency of light, the average KE of the electrons becomes higher, and more of them can get over the space-charge region, as you said.

Likes Curious12345
Andrew Mason said:
If you think of I in terms of dq/dt what does that tell you about the the relationship between current and the speed of a charge?

AM
Hi Andrew, Thanks for replying. In terms of rate of change of charge, it doesn't explained why higher frequency gives higher photocurrent when the applied voltage is between the stopping voltage and saturation voltage.

1. What is an I-V graph in the context of the Photoelectric Effect?

An I-V graph, also known as a current-voltage graph, is a graphical representation of the relationship between the current (I) and the voltage (V) in a circuit. In the context of the Photoelectric Effect, an I-V graph is used to analyze the behavior of electrons emitted from a metal surface when exposed to light of varying frequencies.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the shape of the I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect. However, it does affect the number of electrons emitted. As the intensity of light increases, more electrons are emitted, resulting in a higher current and a shifted I-V graph to the right.

3. What is the significance of the cutoff voltage on an I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect?

The cutoff voltage, also known as the stopping potential, is the minimum voltage needed to stop the flow of electrons in an I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect. It represents the minimum energy required for electrons to overcome the work function of the metal and escape its surface. The cutoff voltage is dependent on the frequency of the incident light and can be used to calculate the work function of the metal.

4. How does the work function of a metal affect the I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect?

The work function of a metal is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to escape the surface of the metal. It is directly related to the cutoff voltage on an I-V graph in Photoelectric Effect. As the work function increases, the cutoff voltage also increases. This results in a steeper slope of the I-V graph and a higher cutoff voltage.

5. Can the Photoelectric Effect be explained by classical physics?

No, the Photoelectric Effect can only be explained by quantum mechanics. According to classical physics, the energy of a wave is dependent on its amplitude, which means that increasing the intensity of light should increase the energy of the electrons emitted. However, in the Photoelectric Effect, the energy of the electrons is dependent on the frequency of the light, not its intensity, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.