Alerts being marked read immediately

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, there is a recent change where all items in the Alerts menu are marked as "Read a moment ago" instead of remaining unread until the user views them. This may be due to a setting in the Preferences page called "Alerts pop-up skips mark read" which should be ticked for the desired functionality. This setting may have been accidentally changed for some users, but can be manually adjusted.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I'm seeing a very recent change that when I open my Alerts menu to see what's new, everything gets marked "Read a moment ago", instead of individual items remaining unread until I have looked at them. Is this a bug?

Likes DrClaude, berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been on your Preferences page recently? There's a setting there that you might have accidentally changed. Go to your preferences (I think this link should work) and find "Alerts pop-up skips mark read" - you want it to be ticked. Click Save and wait for somebody to post so you can test ..

• Informative
Likes Rive, berkeman and PeroK
I was facing this too. Had to manually change back that setting.

Ibix said:
There's a setting there that you might have accidentally changed.
More likely it was accidentally changed for us!

Just changed it back myself.

Likes Ibix, berkeman and Wrichik Basu
I updated that feature a couple weeks ago and it must have reset a default.

• Sad
Likes DrClaude
Jonathan Scott said:
Is this a bug?
Ibix said:
"Alerts pop-up skips mark read" - you want it to be ticked.
PeroK said:
More likely it was accidentally changed for us!
Thanks for the thread start and the fix! I was experiencing the same issue.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I updated that feature a couple weeks ago and it must have reset a default.
Thanks - that explains it and after setting the option it's now working as before.

1. What does it mean when an alert is marked read immediately?

When an alert is marked read immediately, it means that the alert has been read and acknowledged by the recipient or system, and will no longer appear as an unread notification.

2. Why are some alerts marked read immediately while others are not?

Some alerts may be marked read immediately because they are considered important or urgent, while others may not be marked read immediately because they are less critical or require further action before being marked as read.

3. Can I change the settings for alerts being marked read immediately?

It depends on the specific system or platform. Some systems may allow users to customize their notification settings, including whether alerts are marked read immediately or not.

4. Is it possible to undo an alert being marked read immediately?

Again, this depends on the system or platform. Some may have a feature that allows users to undo or revert the read status of an alert, while others may not have this capability.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to alerts being marked read immediately?

In some cases, alerts being marked read immediately may result in important notifications being missed or overlooked. It's important for users to regularly check their notification settings and ensure that they are receiving all necessary alerts.