Algebra Kinematics: Ball above head, how fast must travel to

In summary: So if the person is moving with a constant velocity, then he would only need to stay under the ball for a short amount of time.In summary, the person would need to move with a constant velocity in order to catch the ball.
Notaphysicsmajor

Homework Statement

Hello there physicsforums,

I have a problem that I'd like feedback on as I'm not sure if I had solved it or approached it correctly.

A ball that is traveling 5m/s is 30 meters above a person who is standing still. How fast must the person travel in order to catch the ball?

To minimize confusion and misinterpretation I've decided to upload a visual of the problem, as well as my work involved:

http://imgur.com/m1tGOIA
m1tGOIA.jpg

Homework Equations

(Final velocity)^2 = (Initial velocity)^2 + 2 (acceleration)(change of distance)
(change of distance) = (Initial velocity)(time) + .5 (acceleration)(time)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic:

My first approach was to find the time it would take the ball to get from the top of its trajectory to the person.

Once I found the time, I used that time to calculate how far the ball would have traveled on the x axis.

Knowing how far the ball traveled in the x-axis and how long it took, I then found the speed at which the person standing still would need to travel in order to cover that amount of distance in the certain amount of time.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but this was the only logical approach I could come up with.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Notaphysicsmajor,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your logic is sound, if a bit overkill for the problem. Consider: what is the x-velocity of the ball? Does it ever change during its flight?

In your image you write an equation: ##V_f^2 = 0 + 2(2.47)(12.35)##. It seems to me from your other work there that the 2.47 is a time value which seems strange. Is that the case? What's the original kinematic equation in symbols?

Excellent observation my dear Watson!

Thank you for catching that, yes you are correct.

The equation is (Final velocity)^2 = (Initial velocity)^2 + 2(acceleration)(distance), and I had input time in the value for acceleration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I should have used the formula (change of distance) = (Initial velocity)(time) + .5(acceleration)(time)^2 to find acceleration.

With acceleration now known, I can use (Final velocity) = (Initial velocity) + (acceleration)(time)

After a quick computation here is what I was able to come up with:

(change of distance) = (Initial velocity)(time) + .5(acceleration)(time)^2
Δd = V° + .5(a)(t)^2
12.35 = 0(2.47) + .5(a)(2.47)^2
Acceleration = 4.05(Final velocity) = (Initial velocity) + (acceleration)(time)
Vƒ = V° + (a)(t)
Vƒ = 0 + (4.05)(2.47)
Vƒ = 10

The question only asks, "How fast must the person travel in order to catch the ball?". If you assume constant speed for "how fast" then he only needs to stay under the ball...

Notaphysicsmajor said:
How fast must the person travel in order to catch the ball?
I thought the wording of this question was poor. What came to mind for me was that the person would be moving with a constant velocity. You have assumed that he would be accelerating with a constant velocity (EDIT: I mean constant acceleration). You may be right since it was stated that the person was originally "standing still".

1. What is Algebra Kinematics?

Algebra Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects using mathematical equations. It involves using algebraic concepts and formulas to analyze the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of objects.

2. How is Algebra Kinematics related to a ball above the head?

In the case of a ball above the head, Algebra Kinematics can be used to calculate the speed at which the ball must travel in order to reach a certain height or distance. It can also be used to determine the time it takes for the ball to reach its peak height, as well as its velocity and acceleration at any given point during its motion.

3. What information do I need in order to solve an Algebra Kinematics problem?

To solve an Algebra Kinematics problem, you will need to know the initial position and velocity of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it. You will also need to know the desired final position or velocity, as well as the time frame in which the motion occurs.

4. How do I use equations to solve for the speed of the ball?

In order to solve for the speed of the ball, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will need to rearrange the equation to solve for the desired variable, in this case, the final velocity. Make sure to use consistent units for all values.

5. Can I use Algebra Kinematics to solve for the trajectory of a ball?

Yes, Algebra Kinematics can be used to solve for the trajectory of a ball. By using equations such as s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time, you can determine the position of the ball at any given time during its motion. This can be useful in predicting the path of a projectile, such as a ball thrown or kicked into the air.