Algebra simultaneous equations Question

In summary, the problem asks for the value of z when p = 0. Substituting in A and B from the equation, and simplifying, yields the following: z = e^{-ip}
Rococo

Homework Statement

Let ##g_k = 2cos(k/2)## and ##z=e^{ip(N+1)}## where N is an integer.

There are two simultaneous equations:

##E^2 = (g_k + e^{ip})(g_k + e^{-ip}) = 1 + g_k^2 + 2g_k cos(p) ## [1]

##(1+z^2)E^2 = (g_k + e^{-ip})^2 z^2 + (g_k + e^{ip})^2##[2]

Eliminate ##E^2## to show that:

##sin[pN] + g_k sin[p(N+1)] = 0##[3]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried substitution of [1] into [2] and then equating the real parts/imaginary parts of the equation. Also have tried equating coefficients of terms like ##e^{i2p(N+1)}## but couldn't get anywhere with it.

Subsituting [1] into [2] and expanding all complex exponentials into sines and cosines, equating real parts gives me:

##1 + cos(2p(N+1)) = cos(2pN) + cos(2p) + 2sin(2p(N+1))g_k sin(p)##

And equating imaginary parts gives me:

##sin(2p(N+1)) = sin(2pN) - 2g_k sin(p)cos(2p(N+1)) + sin(2p) + 2g_k sin(p)##

But I can't seem to get equation [3] from these. Also, equating the coefficients of ##e^{i2p}## I get:

## e^{i2pn} = -2i e^{i2pN} g_k sin(p) + 1##

But again I can't rearrange it to equation [3] after equating real/imaginary parts. Does anyone have any insight as to how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at: ##E^2 = 1+g_k^2 + 2g_k\cos p##

Looks like the cosine rule in trig doesn't it? Is there a clue by considering the matter geometrically?
Solving for ##E^2## in [2] and subbing into [1] gives:
$$\frac{(g_k+e^{-ip})^2z^2 + (g_k+e^{ip})^2}{1+z^2} = 1+g_k^2 + 2g_k\cos p$$... this looks like a combination of real and imaginary terms on the LHS and only reals on the RHS. Is this how you are thinking? The imaginary terms have to cancel out?

Note: put a backslash before the trig function to get it to format correctly like ##\sin \theta## instead of ##sin\theta##.
You may want to adopt a shorthand like ##s=\sin p## and ##S=\sin(N+1)p## to ease writing.

This may be completely wrong, but I think there's a quick workaround to the problem. Even in the highly unlikely case that the answer is correct, the reasoning is probably wrong regardless.

Let A = [tex](g_k + e^{ip})[/tex]
Let B = [tex](g_k + e^{-ip})[/tex]

Therefore [tex]E^2 = AB[/tex]

If [tex](1 + z^2)E^2 = (g_k + e^{-ip})^2 z^2 + (g_k + e^{ip})^2 [/tex]

then [tex]AB + ABz^2 = B^2z^2 + A^2[/tex]

Just looking at both sides of the equation, it appears that

[tex] AB = A^2 [/tex]
[tex]ABz^2 = B^2z^2[/tex]

As such, [tex]A = B[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]e^{ip} = e^{-ip}[/tex]

which means [tex]p = 0[/tex]

With that in mind [tex]sin(0) + cos(k/2)*sin(0) = 0[/tex]

pat8126 said:
Just looking at both sides of the equation, it appears that
It was looking useful up to that point, but your next step seems to be treating the equation in A, B and z as true for all z with constants A, B. There is no basis for that.

Anyway, it is just as well that you went wrong. This is a homework forum. The idea is to provide hints and point out errors, not lay out complete solutions.

haruspex said:
It was looking useful up to that point, but your next step seems to be treating the equation in A, B and z as true for all z with constants A, B. There is no basis for that.
I knew it was too good to be true - way too simple. Back to the long form of calculation.

By the way, what's the right answer? Does the angle p = 0 or is it irrelevant? Unless that's the key to the problem, which would not be allowed until after the original poster solved it.

Last edited:
pat8126 said:
I knew it was too good to be true - way too simple. Back to the long form of calculation.

By the way, what's the right answer? Does the angle p = 0 or is it irrelevant? Unless that's the key to the problem, which would not be allowed until after the original poster solved it.
As I posted, your working down to there looked good. Use it to express z in terms of A and B. Simplify, then substitute in what A, B and z represent.
The problem is a bit strange... k plays no role. gk is just any real in the range -2 to +2, and it turns out that even that is not necessary. Maybe it is just inherited from some original context.

Likes pat8126
pat8126 said:
[tex]AB + ABz^2 = B^2z^2 + A^2[/tex]

Thanks haruspex, good thoughts! With some algebra, the equation simplifies even further to:

[tex]AB - A^2 = B^2z^2 - ABz^2[/tex]
[tex]A(B-A) = Bz^2(B - A)[/tex]

At this point, even if I solve it, the original poster must show the answer first.

I wouldn't be able to divide by (B - A) if A = B, since that would be division by zero. In the event A did not equal B, then [tex]A = Bz^2[/tex]

pat8126 said:
if A = B, since that would be division by zero
Right, but in that case p=0 and the equation to be proved is trivially true anyway.

Likes pat8126
The OP hasn't chimed in since last Friday, so let's hold off any more discussion until he comes back...

Related to Algebra simultaneous equations Question

1. What are simultaneous equations in algebra?

Simultaneous equations in algebra are equations that contain two or more unknown variables and must be solved at the same time. These equations typically have multiple solutions and can be solved using various methods, such as substitution or elimination.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. In substitution, one equation is solved for a variable and then substituted into the other equation. In elimination, the equations are manipulated to eliminate one of the variables. Graphing involves plotting both equations on a graph and finding the point where they intersect.

3. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must be equal to or greater than the number of variables in order to solve the equations.

4. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations is important in many fields, including mathematics, engineering, and physics. It allows us to find the values of unknown quantities and solve real-world problems. It also helps in understanding the relationships between variables and making predictions based on those relationships.

5. Can simultaneous equations have no solution?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have no solution. This means that there is no set of values that will satisfy both equations simultaneously. This could occur if the equations are contradictory or if they represent parallel lines on a graph.