Algebra/Trignometry based Physics textbooks

In summary: Calculus is needed to understand the underlying principles and concepts in physics."My second question is what textbook below is best with respect to independent study alone. Here is a listing below that I could find on Amazon. If you know of any other textbook that is good for independent study, please let me know thanks."In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a good textbook for independent study in General Physics I and II. The main issue is that many textbooks do not provide enough help in solving end-of-chapter problems. The conversation also touches on the question of whether calculus is necessary for understanding physics, with the general consensus being that calculus is needed to truly understand the subject. The conversation then lists various textbooks, with the recommendation being Halliday,
rakrobn
Hello, I've been looking through several posts, but its hard to get a consensus answer. I will be taking General Physics I and II next year. I don't know yet whether I will be taking it in the calculus-based or non-calculus based version.

I am looking for a textbook in which I can truly rely on with respect to learning concepts and being able to solve chapter problems through independent study as the professors at my university are, unfortunately, not interested in teaching.

In looking at many textbooks, the main issue I have is that the chapter is not helpful in solving the end-of-chapter problems. For example, many times I notice the chapter has quite easy example problems in demonstrating points, yet at the end of the chapter, I notice the sudden high difficulty in the problem sets that by using the chapter alone would be extremely difficult to solve. I understand that Physics is not just a plug-and-chug science, yet even in looking at Amazon reviews, I notice the same complaint.

My first question is: Can a person truly understand physics and apply equations to problems without using calculus or is algebra and trigonometry suffice to learn it? I hear the reason why calculus is needed is to know how the formula is derived, with the other option being memorizing it and accepting it as true.

My second question is what textbook below is best with respect to independent study alone. Here is a listing below that I could find on Amazon. If you know of any other textbook that is good for independent study, please let me know thanks.

Algebra/Trignometry based Physics:
  • College Physics by Alan Giambattista, Betty Richardson, Robert C. Richardson
  • Physics: Principles with Applications by Douglas C. Giancoli
  • College Physics: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight, Brian Jones, Stuart Field
  • Physics by James S. Walker
  • College Physics by Hugh D. Young, Robert Geller
  • College Physics by Jerry D Wilson, Anthony J Buffa, Bo Lou
  • College Physics by Raymond A. Serway, Jerry S. Faughn, and Chris Vuille
  • Physics by John D. Cutnell and Kenneth W. Johnson
  • Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt
Calculus based Physics:
  • Physics for Scientists & Engineers by Douglas C. Giancoli
  • University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman
  • Essential University Physics by Richard Wolfson
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics, The Definitive and Extended Edition, 2nd Edition by Richard P. Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, Matthew Sands
  • Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul Fishbane, Stephen Gasiorowicz, Steve Thornton
  • Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul A. Tipler
  • Principles of Physics: A Calculus-Based Text by Raymond A. Serway, John W. Jewett
  • University Physics by Francis W. Sears, Mark W. Zemansky, and Hugh D. Young
  • College Physics by Francis W. Sears, Mark W. Zemansky, Hugh D. Young
  • Physics, 5th Edition, by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S. Krane
  • Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker

Physics news on Phys.org
I think most people on these forums will agree that Halliday, Resnick, Walker is the way to go for calc-based general physics.

"My first question is: Can a person truly understand physics and apply equations to problems without using calculus or is algebra and trigonometry suffice to learn it? I hear the reason why calculus is needed is to know how the formula is derived, with the other option being memorizing it and accepting it as true."

No, in my opinion, a person cannot truly understand physics without calculus. Calculus-less physics is just artificial problems for those who don't know calculus.

I would like to provide the following response to your question:

Firstly, let me assure you that both calculus-based and non-calculus based versions of Physics are equally valid and can provide a thorough understanding of the subject. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the requirements of your university curriculum.

In terms of using algebra and trigonometry to learn Physics, I would say that these mathematical tools are essential in understanding the concepts and solving problems in Physics. Calculus, on the other hand, provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and can help in solving more complex problems. However, it is not necessary to have a complete understanding of calculus in order to learn Physics. Many students have successfully learned and applied Physics principles using only algebra and trigonometry.

As for choosing a textbook for independent study, it is important to find one that suits your learning style and has a good balance of theory and practice problems. Some of the textbooks you have listed are highly recommended and have been used by many students for independent study. It would be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or professors.

In addition to textbooks, I would also suggest supplementing your learning with online resources such as videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations. These can provide a more visual and hands-on approach to learning Physics.

In conclusion, whether you choose a calculus-based or non-calculus based textbook, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry in order to understand and apply Physics concepts. With dedication and perseverance, you can successfully learn and excel in Physics through independent study. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is the difference between algebra and trigonometry in physics?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols. It is used in physics to solve equations and represent relationships between variables. Trigonometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties. It is used in physics to analyze and solve problems involving angles and distances.

2. How important is it to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry for studying physics?

A strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is crucial for studying physics, as these mathematical concepts are used extensively in solving equations and problems in physics. Without a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry, it can be challenging to grasp the concepts and principles of physics.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning algebra and trigonometry in the context of physics?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks that focus specifically on teaching algebra and trigonometry in the context of physics. Some popular choices include "College Algebra and Trigonometry" by Richard N. Aufmann and Vernon C. Barker, "Algebra and Trigonometry for College Students" by Dennis G. Zill and Jacqueline M. Dewar, and "Algebra and Trigonometry: Structure and Method" by Richard G. Brown and Mary P. Dolciani.

4. Can I study physics without a strong background in algebra and trigonometry?

While it is possible to study physics without a strong background in algebra and trigonometry, it is not recommended. These mathematical concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics, and without a solid foundation, it can be challenging to grasp more complex concepts in physics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of algebra and trigonometry in the context of physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of algebra and trigonometry in the context of physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you become more comfortable with using these concepts and applying them to physics problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and clarification on difficult concepts.