Algebraic Number Theory Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a Number Theory question that requires expertise in simple algebra. The problem is to show that (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) is a perfect square if and only if (1+xy), (1+yz), and (1+zx) are perfect squares. The attempt at a solution involves defining s, t, and u as the numbers whose squares are xy+1, yz+1, and zx+1 respectively. However, the equation (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = s2t2u2 is incorrect. The easier half of the proof is to show that (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) is
putongren
This is actually a Number Theory question, but requires expertise that doesn't go beyond simple algebra.

Homework Statement

Show that (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) is a perfect square iff (1 + xy), (1+yz) , and (1+zx) are perfect squares.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially tried to solve it like this

let 1 + xy = s2 , 1 + yz = t2, 1 + zx = u2. I substituted the new variables and got (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = s2t2u2 - s2t2+t4-t2+s2

I tried to get the RHS of the equation to be in some square form, but couldn't. I thought that introducing new variables to the problem would add to the complexity of the problem, but I thought that adding new variables would give me a new way to solve the problem also.

So .. any thoughts?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
What are x,y,z,s,t,u? Are you working on the 'if' part or the 'only if' part? (or have you not gotten that far yet?) Where did that equation come from?

forgot to mention x,y,z are positive integers,

I just defined s,t,u as the number whose square is xy + 1, yz +1, zx + 1 respectively

putongren said:
This is actually a Number Theory question, but requires expertise that doesn't go beyond simple algebra.

Homework Statement

Show that (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) is a perfect square iff (1 + xy), (1+yz) , and (1+zx) are perfect squares.

Homework Equations

I initially tried to solve it like this

let 1 + xy = s2 , 1 + yz = t2, 1 + zx = u2. I substituted the new variables and got

(1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = s2t2u2 - s2t2+t4-t2+s2
That last equation is obviously wrong.

(1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = s2t2u2 , which is a perfect square.

That's the easier half of the proof.

Now show that if (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = w2, then each of (1+xy), (1+zy), and (1+zx) are perfect squares.

SammyS said:
That last equation is obviously wrong.

(1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = s2t2u2 , which is a perfect square.

That's the easier half of the proof.

Now show that if (1+xy)(1+zy)(1+zx) = w2, then each of (1+xy), (1+zy), and (1+zx) are perfect squares.

Yeah, I suspect it was wrong, but I still have no idea how to show that (1 + xy)(1 + zy)(1 +wz) = w2.

putongren said:
Yeah, I suspect it was wrong, but I still have no idea how to show that (1 + xy)(1 + zy)(1 +xz) = w2.
Did you try multiplying the left side out? -- Then try refactoring it.

Last edited:

Related to Algebraic Number Theory Question

1. What is Algebraic Number Theory?

Algebraic Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures related to number systems, including algebraic numbers, algebraic fields, and algebraic integers.

2. What are algebraic numbers?

Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. They include all rational numbers, as well as irrational numbers such as √2 and π.

3. What is the significance of Algebraic Number Theory?

Algebraic Number Theory plays an important role in modern number theory and has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other areas of mathematics and computer science.

4. What is the difference between algebraic and transcendental numbers?

Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation, while transcendental numbers cannot be expressed in this way. Examples of transcendental numbers include e and π.

5. How is Algebraic Number Theory related to algebraic geometry?

Algebraic Number Theory and algebraic geometry are closely related, as they both study algebraic structures and equations. In particular, algebraic number theory uses tools and concepts from algebraic geometry to study number systems and their properties.