Aliasing, Continuous sinusoids and discrete sinusoids....

In summary: or might not...need to correct for aliasing in order to get a good approximation of the input signal.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Understand aliasing in relation to continuous and discrete sinusoids for computer simulations
Hello,

I understand that continuous sinusoids can have any arbitrary frequency ##f## and are always periodic with period ##T=1/f##. A continuous sinusoid looks like this: $$x(t)= sin(2\pi f t+\theta_0)$$

On the other hand, discrete-time sinusoids are not always periodic. They are periodic only of an integer number ##N## exist such that ##x(n)=x(n+N)##.

My dilemma: I understand that sampling a continuous sinusoid ##x(t)= sin(2\pi f t+\theta_0)## at a sampling rate ##F_s=> 2f## produces a discrete sinusoid ##x(n)## with special merits, i.e. its samples can be used to uniquely reconstruct, through frequency filtering and sinc interpolation, the original continuous sinusoid ##x(t)##.

However, in many computer simulations, we are not concern with reconstructing the original continuous signal. We simply start with a discrete sinusoid (or other discrete signal), pass it through a filter/transformation/system to obtain an output discrete signal. The purpose of the simulation is to simulate the working of a physical system and its effect on an input signal to obtain a discrete output signal that is a good approximation of the actual continuous output signal.
That said, how does aliasing (which seems to be essential for the process of signal reconstruction) play a role in the context of computer simulation of signal processing? We are not trying to reconstruct signals in computer simulations...Does avoiding aliasing with the input signal prevent from processing a discrete input signal that is a bad approximate representation of the actual input signal to avoid obtaining an incorrect discrete representation of the actual and correct output signal?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
However, in many computer simulations, we are not concern with reconstructing the original continuous signal. We simply start with a discrete sinusoid (or other discrete signal), pass it through a filter/transformation/system to obtain an output discrete signal. The purpose of the simulation is to simulate the working of a physical system and its effect on an input signal to obtain a discrete output signal that is a good approximation of the actual continuous output signal.

That said, how does aliasing (which seems to be essential for the process of signal reconstruction) play a role in the context of computer simulation of signal processing? We are not trying to reconstruct signals in computer simulations...
I am not sure that I understand the difference between 'simulate a good approximation' and 'reconstruct'. Put simply, the maths tells us that sampling at a frequency of ## 2\omega ## preserves details with a frequency of ## \le \omega ## so if that is enough detail then it is a good approximation.

fog37 said:
Does avoiding aliasing with the input signal prevent from processing a discrete input signal that is a bad approximate representation of the actual input signal to avoid obtaining an incorrect discrete representation of the actual and correct output signal?
I'm not sure what you are asking, there are too many negatives and other qualifiers in one sentence (avoiding...prevent...bad...approximate...avoid...incorrect...). Note that as well as referring to the approximation of an input signal, the term 'aliasing' can also be used to refer to inaccuracies (specifically artifacts) introduced by that approximation (and anti-aliasing is the removal of these artifacts). I am not sure which meaning you are using.

Thank you pbuk,

Apologies for the poorly written question :)

Let me try to clarify. For example, let's say we intended to simulate how a continuous sinusoid ##x(t)## of frequency ##f=3 Hz## is processed by a linear system to determine the output signal ##y(t)##. To do so, we would start with a discrete version ##x(n)## of the input sinusoid ##x(t)## and obtain a discrete output signal ##y(n)##.

Do we need to worry about the concept of aliasing (and ensure that it is not happening and affecting our signals) for the input and output discrete signals? How do we ensure that aliasing is not present in this simulation? Simply by creating a discrete input signal whose samples are separated by a time interval ##\Delta t < 1/6## where the sampling rate is ##F_s= 6##?

Thanks!

fog37 said:
Do we need to worry about the concept of aliasing (and ensure that it is not happening and affecting our signals) for the input and output discrete signals? How do we ensure that aliasing is not present in this simulation? Simply by creating a discrete input signal whose samples are separated by a time interval ##\Delta t < 1/6## where the sampling rate is ##F_s= 6##?
OK, so you are using aliasing to mean aliasing artifacts. Think about what a 3Hz sine wave sampled at 6Hz could look like: if you are in phase the samples could all be zero! Or 1/12 s out of phase and you will get a square wave. In either case, nothing like the input - the aliasing process has created artificial information, hence the term aliasing artifact. Correcting this to get something back that is a sufficient approximation for a particular application is not trivial and is not my area of expertise - you might be better off in the Electrical Engineering forum asking 'Digital Signal Processing - how do I correct for sampling artifacts?'.

1. What is aliasing and how does it occur?

Aliasing is a phenomenon that occurs when the sampling rate of a signal is too low to accurately represent the original continuous signal. This results in the appearance of high frequency components in the sampled signal that were not present in the original signal. Aliasing can occur when using digital sampling techniques to capture analog signals, and can also occur in digital images.

2. What is the difference between continuous sinusoids and discrete sinusoids?

Continuous sinusoids are signals that vary continuously over time, while discrete sinusoids are signals that are only defined at discrete points in time. Continuous sinusoids are represented by mathematical functions, while discrete sinusoids are represented by a sequence of numbers.

3. How does the sampling rate affect the representation of sinusoidal signals?

The sampling rate, or the number of samples per second, determines the highest frequency that can be accurately represented in a sampled signal. If the sampling rate is too low, high frequency components will be aliased and the original signal will not be accurately represented. A higher sampling rate allows for a more accurate representation of the original signal.

4. Can aliasing be avoided?

Aliasing can be avoided by using a sampling rate that is at least twice the highest frequency component in the signal. This is known as the Nyquist sampling rate. Additionally, using anti-aliasing filters can also help prevent aliasing by removing high frequency components before sampling.

5. How can sinusoidal signals be analyzed in both the time and frequency domains?

In the time domain, sinusoidal signals can be analyzed by looking at their amplitude, frequency, and phase. In the frequency domain, sinusoidal signals can be represented by their spectral components, which show the amplitudes and phases of the different frequency components in the signal. This can be achieved through techniques such as Fourier analysis.