Alice and Bob Flyby with Simultaneous Waving

• Thread starter gtguhoij
  • Start date
In summary, Bob and Alice always have the same location in both frames, with event 0 having everything at 0. For event 1, calculations are only done once for Alice's frame and Bob's frame. The question does not specify, but calculations were also done for prime frames for Alice and Bob. With gamma = 2, v = .866c, and t = 1 sec, d = vt = .866LS for Lorentz transform. To find t' for event 1, t' = .5 sec. Event 2 variables are found by multiplying time by 2, event 3 by 3, and so on. The basic formula is t_event_number = t ~ 1 ~or
gtguhoij
Homework Statement
Alice flies past Bob at speed v. Right when she passes, they both set their watches to zero. When Alice’s watch shows a time T, she waves to Bob. Bob then waves to Alice simultaneously (as measured by him) with Alice’s wave (so this is before he actually sees her wave). Alice then waves to Bob simultaneously (as measured by her) with Bob’s wave. Bob then waves to Alice simultaneously (as measured by him) with Alice’s second wave. And so on. What are the readings on Alice’s watch for all the times she waves? And likewise for Bob?
Relevant Equations
## t' = gamma (t - \frac {xv} {c^2}) ##
assuming I am understand the question correctly Bob and Alice have the same location in both frames.
Event 0 everything is 0.event 1
I assume both Alice and Bob are at the same location for every location. So I am just doing the calculations once for
Alice's frame for Alice and Bob's frame for Bob. I am not sure if the question asked it but I also did prime frame for Alice and Bob.##
gamma = 2
v = .866c
t = 1 sec
##

I go
## d = vt = (1 s)(.866c) = .866LS ## (for Lorentz transform)
Then t = 2 I could do the calculation or multiply everything by 2. For t = 3 multiply by 3 etc
Now to find t' for event 1
## t' = gamma (t - \frac {xv} {c^2}) ##

## t' = 2(1 sec - (.866LS)(.866c) ) ##

## t' = .5 sec ##.
Now to get event 2 variables multiply time by 2 to get event 3 multiply 3.
Here is my basic formula

## t_event_number = t ~ 1 ~or ~t' ~ 1 (event ~number) ##
## t~event~number = t ~, 1 ##
## t'~ event~ number = t ~1' ##Let me show an example
## t1' = .5 ## and ## t1 = 1##
While, ## event ~number = 0 - infinity##
Is this correct? Or my assumption that Alice and Bob can have the same location incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. ct-x diagram attached may help you.

Attachments

• img20201219_08590739.jpg
    img20201219_08590739.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

1. What is "Alice and Bob Flyby with Simultaneous Waving"?

"Alice and Bob Flyby with Simultaneous Waving" is a thought experiment often used in physics and computer science to illustrate concepts such as relativity and synchronization. It involves two observers, Alice and Bob, who fly past each other in opposite directions while simultaneously waving at each other.

2. What is the purpose of this thought experiment?

The purpose of this thought experiment is to demonstrate the effects of relative motion and the concept of simultaneity. It helps to illustrate how different observers may perceive events differently based on their relative motion.

3. How does this thought experiment relate to relativity?

This thought experiment is often used to illustrate the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It shows how the perception of time and events can differ for observers moving at different velocities.

4. What is the significance of the simultaneous waving in this thought experiment?

The simultaneous waving in this thought experiment highlights the concept of simultaneity, which is the idea that events occurring at the same time for one observer may not occur at the same time for another observer. It helps to demonstrate how the perception of time can be relative.

5. How is this thought experiment used in the fields of physics and computer science?

This thought experiment is commonly used as a teaching tool in physics and computer science to help students understand complex concepts such as relativity, time dilation, and synchronization. It also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology and network synchronization.