Alien Perception of Time: Can Time Go Backwards?

In summary, it is impossible to definitively answer questions about how aliens perceive time, travel through time, or experience time reversal. However, it is believed that their biology and environment may play a role in their perception of time. There is also no scientific evidence to suggest that aliens have a better understanding of time than humans.
puzzled fish
Can we please revive this thread with better references: My source for the Through The Wormhole Episodes is Wikipedia: Season 6 No. 2 : Can Time Go Backwards.
There is a Youtube link:
I was asking:
"In Through the Wormhole Episode no.2 of the 6th series named Can Time Go Backwards (it starts in the 6th minute what I am referring to), it is claimed by a university professor that it may be possible (especially by alien beings) to perceive and experience the passing of time not right now but minutes or hours afterwards, or even before now as we speak. And he illustrates this notion in a hockey game.
Is this true, because I find tremendous logical difficulties in believing this?"
My best guess to what he means is : as we can watch through a telescope events which happened a long time ago to take place right now before our eyes because of the limited speed of light by a similar reasoning (what?) maybe we can perceive future events as well because the whole space-time fabric is predetermined.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread locked for Moderation...

puzzled fish said:
Can we please revive this thread with better references

Better references would be a textbook or peer-reviewed paper. Wikipedia's article on this series does not appear to link to any.

puzzled fish said:
My best guess to what he means

We could all make guesses as to what he means, but unless we have an actual valid reference--textbook or peer-reviewed paper--we have no way of confirming or disconfirming our guess. And we can't have a useful discussion here on PF based on just a guess. We need to be looking at some actual mainstream science. Pop science sources like this video are notorious for not ever giving references to the actual underlying science.

puzzled fish said:
as we can watch through a telescope events which happened a long time ago to take place right now before our eyes because of the limited speed of light by a similar reasoning (what?) maybe we can perceive future events as well

No, we can't, because the future is not the same as the past.

puzzled fish said:
because the whole space-time fabric is predetermined

This is a particular interpretation of relativity and is not required by the physics. We have had previous PF threads on this, as well as an Insights article (full disclosure: I wrote it):

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/block-universe-refuting-common-argument/

See also the discussion thread on that article.

Since the reference given in the OP is still not valid, this thread will remain closed. @puzzled fish if you have questions about the Insights article I linked to you can post in that discussion thread or start a new thread based on those specific questions.

1. How do aliens perceive time?

It is impossible to definitively answer this question as we have no direct evidence or communication with aliens. However, it is believed that aliens may have a different perception of time as their biology and environment could be vastly different from ours.

2. Can aliens travel through time?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that aliens are capable of time travel. The concept of time travel is still largely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible for any beings, including aliens.

3. Is it possible for time to go backwards for aliens?

The concept of time going backwards is known as time reversal, and it is still a highly debated topic among scientists. There is no conclusive evidence to support the idea that time can go backwards for humans or aliens.

4. How does the perception of time affect alien civilizations?

Again, without any direct evidence or communication with aliens, it is impossible to answer this question definitively. However, it is believed that the perception of time may play a significant role in the development and functioning of alien civilizations.

5. Could aliens have a better understanding of time than humans?

It is possible that aliens may have a different perception or understanding of time due to their unique biology and environment. However, it is impossible to determine if they have a "better" understanding of time as it is a subjective concept.