Allowances/Withholdings in regard to taxes

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary: Aw, shucks. So if I rent the basement of a house, am I "head of household"?Be careful about having too little withheld too. You can end up paying additional penalties if you aren't having enough withheld and aren't paying estimated taxes quarterly.Specifically, if the amount you pay during the year (via withholding or via estimated tax payments directly to the IRS) turns out to be less than 90% of the tax that you actually owe at the end of the year, you may be subject to penalty. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you are considered "head of household." This means you are responsible for paying tax on your income, regardless of who resides with you.
KingNothing
Hello all, and forgive my amateur financial knowledge. I suppose that mathematically, the best way to do your taxes is to have as little withheld from your paycheck as possible, and to pay it all in at the end. This way you can potentially make (typically low-risk) investments with the money in the meantime.

However, I do not understand how the allowances/withholdings work. Every website I go to just gives information about how to calculate these based on dependents and spouses and such. They don't say the actual mathematical effect.

So, what is the effect of these numbers mathematically? Also, what are the limits, if any, on the numbers that one can put here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful about having too little withheld too. You can end up paying additional penalties if you aren't having enough withheld and aren't paying estimated taxes quarterly.

Moonbear said:
Be careful about having too little withheld too. You can end up paying additional penalties if you aren't having enough withheld and aren't paying estimated taxes quarterly.

Aw, shucks. So if I rent the basement of a house, am I "head of household"?

Moonbear said:

Specifically, if the amount you pay during the year (via withholding or via estimated tax payments directly to the IRS) turns out to be less than 90% of the tax that you actually owe at the end of the year, you may be subject to penalty.

I say "may" because the rules are a bit complicated. As I recall, a major exception is that if your income goes up significantly from the previous year, you're not subject to penalty if your withholding etc. is at least as large as your actual tax for the previous year. This gives you a year to make adjustments in your withholding, or estimated tax payments. This affected us one year when we started getting a lot of interest and dividend income which wasn't figured into our salary withholding. We didn't have to pay a penalty that time. Rather than mess with estimated tax payments, we raised our salary withholding above the default amount for the following years.

I remember someone telling me you can put about any number you want in there you don't really have to justify it I'm not totally sure that's correct but the guy was an accountant at one point. Anyhow the guy also told me that if you make it so you get all the money up front it makes it far more likely that you will get an audit so if you don't keep good records or want the hassle your probably better off not putting something like a 9 or 10 down. I personally wouldn't mess with it because I know my chances of blowing "extra" money is higher then me properly investing it.

Related to Allowances/Withholdings in regard to taxes

1. What are allowances and withholdings when it comes to taxes?

Allowances and withholdings refer to the number of exemptions an individual can claim on their tax return, which can impact the amount of taxes withheld from their paycheck. These allowances can include dependents, marital status, and other factors that may affect an individual's taxable income.

2. How do I determine the number of allowances to claim on my tax return?

The number of allowances you should claim depends on your personal circumstances and financial situation. You can use the IRS withholding calculator to determine the appropriate number of allowances to claim based on your income, filing status, and other factors.

3. What happens if I claim too many or too few allowances on my tax return?

If you claim too many allowances, you may end up owing more taxes when you file your tax return. On the other hand, if you claim too few allowances, you may receive a larger tax refund, but you will have had less money withheld from your paycheck throughout the year. It's important to regularly review and update your allowances to ensure you are not over or underpaying taxes.

4. Can I change the number of allowances I claim during the year?

Yes, you can change the number of allowances you claim at any time during the year by submitting a new Form W-4 to your employer. This may be necessary if your personal or financial situation changes, such as getting married, having a child, or starting a new job.

5. Are allowances and withholdings the same for state and federal taxes?

No, the number of allowances and withholdings for state taxes may be different from federal taxes. Each state has its own tax laws and forms for determining allowances and withholdings. It's important to understand the requirements for both state and federal taxes to ensure accurate and proper withholding throughout the year.