Allowed and forbidden transitions

• B
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary: The slightly higher energy state results from the electron spinning in the same direction as the orbital angular momentum, the lower state where spin is opposite, as shown in Figure 3.11.2.In the simple scenario you described, frequency A would be greater than frequency B because energy is proportional to frequency. However, looking at Figure 3.11.2, it seems that the frequency for photon resulting from 3s to 2s (i.e. photon #1) should be greater. Where am I going wrong?Thank you for your help!In summary, @DrClaude says that in a hydrogen atom an electron makes a transition from 4s to 2s emitting a photon of frequency A, and another electron
PainterGuy
Hi,

Please have a look on the attachment, or for higher resolution please check this link: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/9834/vXbpvR.jpg

Could you please help me with the queries below?

Question 1: I don't understand that why transitions like "1" to "b" are not allowed or not probable.

Don't "1", "2", "3", "4", and "5" represent the same orbital angular momentum number, i.e L=2? And don't "a", "b", and "c" represent L=1? If I'm right then for transition from "1" to "b", orbital angular momentum changes from "2" to "1", and magnetic quantum number changes from "2" to "0".

Question 2: Which are those three unique transitions which produce three spectral lines? 1 to a, 2 to b, ...?

Thank you!

Attachments

• zeeman1.jpg
    zeeman1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 589
Physics news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
Question 1: I don't understand that why transitions like "1" to "b" are not allowed or not probable.

Don't "1", "2", "3", "4", and "5" represent the same orbital angular momentum number, i.e L=2? And don't "a", "b", and "c" represent L=1? If I'm right then for transition from "1" to "b", orbital angular momentum changes from "2" to "1", and magnetic quantum number changes from "2" to "0".
There is a selection rule on ##l## and one on ##m##, such that ##\Delta l = \pm 1## and ##\Delta m = 0, \pm 1##. The "1" to "b" changes ##m## by 2, and hence is not electric-dipole allowed.

Why these transitions are not allowed is related to conservation of angular momentum. The rule for ##m## is based on the triangle rule: if you imagine the angular momentum as a classical vector, you are limited in how you can draw a vector as the sum of two angular momenta and form a closed triangle.

PainterGuy said:
Question 2: Which are those three unique transitions which produce three spectral lines? 1 to a, 2 to b, ...?
The magnetic field splits the two sets of levels (##n=3## and ##n=2##) by equal amounts, such that all transitions with the same ##\Delta m## have the same energy. You get only three lines because of the selection rule on ##\Delta m##.

Note that this is often referred to as the normal Zeeman effect, and that for other atoms than hydrogen, you can get what is called the anomalous Zeeman effect. In the latter case, the two sets of levels do not have the same splitting, such that the ##m = 0 \rightarrow 1## transition is not at the same energy as ##m = 1 \rightarrow 2##, and so on, and you can get more than three lines.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, PainterGuy and andrew s 1905
Thank you for the explanation, @DrClaude!

Hi,

I have another related question so I thought I better ask it here. I'd really appreciate if you could help me with it.

Please have a look at the attachment, or for higher-resolution picture please have a look here: https://imageshack.com/a/img922/4874/V8N4en.jpg

Question 1:
Before I ask my main question, let me start with a simple scenario to make sure if I have it right.

In the hydrogen atom an electron makes a transition from 4s to 2s emitting a photon of frequency A, and another electron make a transition from 4s to 3s emitting a photon of frequency B.

In my opinion frequency A will be greater than frequency B. I'm saying this because in this case energy is proportional to frequency, and the transition 4s to 2s involves more energy.

Or, I can put it differently like this. The 2s is at lower energy level than 3s therefore the transition from 4s to 2s will result in more loss of energy in form of high frequency photon.

Do I have it correct?

Question 2:
This is my main question and I'm going to assume that what I have said in Question 1 is correct.

The text says, "The slightly higher energy state results from the electron spinning in the same direction as the orbital angular momentum, the lower state where spin is opposite, as shown in Figure 3.11.2."

I agree with the above statement. But looking at Figure 3.11.2 tells me something different.

I think that photon with wavelength 656.272 nm corresponds to the transition from 3s to 2P_3/2 and the photon of wavelength 656.285 nm results from 3s to 2P_1/2 transition.

Larger frequency results into smaller wavelength; c=f*lamda. But the wavelength 656.285 is greater than 656.272 which means that the frequency of photon resulting from 3s to 2P_1/2 is lower than the other one. In my opinion, it should have been the opposite; the frequency for photon resulting from 3s to 2P_1/2 (i.e. photon #1) should have been greater. Where am I going wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• l_s_coupling1.jpg
    l_s_coupling1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 338
PainterGuy said:
Question 1:
Before I ask my main question, let me start with a simple scenario to make sure if I have it right.

In the hydrogen atom an electron makes a transition from 4s to 2s emitting a photon of frequency A, and another electron make a transition from 4s to 3s emitting a photon of frequency B.

In my opinion frequency A will be greater than frequency B. I'm saying this because in this case energy is proportional to frequency, and the transition 4s to 2s involves more energy.

Or, I can put it differently like this. The 2s is at lower energy level than 3s therefore the transition from 4s to 2s will result in more loss of energy in form of high frequency photon.

Do I have it correct?
Well, s ↔ s transitions are dipole forbidden, so let's consider 4s and 3s to 2p. Then you are right that photon A has a higher frequency.

PainterGuy said:
Question 2:
This is my main question and I'm going to assume that what I have said in Question 1 is correct.

The text says, "The slightly higher energy state results from the electron spinning in the same direction as the orbital angular momentum, the lower state where spin is opposite, as shown in Figure 3.11.2."

I agree with the above statement. But looking at Figure 3.11.2 tells me something different.

I think that photon with wavelength 656.272 nm corresponds to the transition from 3s to 2P_3/2 and the photon of wavelength 656.285 nm results from 3s to 2P_1/2 transition.

Larger frequency results into smaller wavelength; c=f*lamda. But the wavelength 656.285 is greater than 656.272 which means that the frequency of photon resulting from 3s to 2P_1/2 is lower than the other one. In my opinion, it should have been the opposite; the frequency for photon resulting from 3s to 2P_1/2 (i.e. photon #1) should have been greater. Where am I going wrong?
Yes, they inverted the numbers.

Last edited:
Likes PainterGuy
Thank you, @DrClaude!

Question 1:
Just wanted to clarify a point from my first post, the text (yellow highlight) said, "The simple rule is that a transition is allowed (i.e., is quite probable) if the change in orbital angular momentum (l) is -1 or +1 (but not zero). A transition is also allowed if the change in the magnetic quantum number(m_l) is -1, 0, or +1."

I believe that both selected rules must be satisfied for any transition therefore writing something like "if the change in orbital angular momentum (l) is -1 or +1 (but not zero) AND also the change in the magnetic quantum number (m_l) is -1, 0, or +1" would have been more accurate, in my opinion.

Do I have it right? Or, perhaps I'm reading too much into it!

Question 2:
Earlier you said,
DrClaude said:
There is a selection rule on lll and one on mmm, such that Δl=±1Δl=±1\Delta l = \pm 1 and Δm=0,±1Δm=0,±1\Delta m = 0, \pm 1. The "1" to "b" changes mmm by 2, and hence is not electric-dipole allowed.

I was reading this discussion about helium's triplet state and it says,
In the 1s state (both electrons in the ground state), one electron must be spin up and the other spin down by the Pauli exclusion princple. In other words the electron spins are anti-parallel and the state is a singlet.

However, if only one electron is in the 1s state, and the other electron is in a higher energy level, the two electrons can have parallel or antiparallel spins. If the spins are parallel, it is a triplet state.

The lifetime of the 1s 2s triplet state is 7859 seconds. It relaxes to the ground state by a magnetic dipole (M1) transition.

I understand that for helium the transition from 2s to 1s is not allowed because the selection for orbital angular momentum is not satisfied although magnetic quantum number rule is satisfied because delta_m_l=0.

My question is about the terminology. What's the difference between electric-dipole transition and magnetic dipole (M1) transition. As the lifetime of 2s triplet state for helium is 7859 seconds (almost 131 minutes!), it means that the electron finds it extremely hard to make 'regular' photon-emission transition.

Could you please elaborate on it?

Thanks a lot for your help and time!

PainterGuy said:
Question 1:
Just wanted to clarify a point from my first post, the text (yellow highlight) said, "The simple rule is that a transition is allowed (i.e., is quite probable) if the change in orbital angular momentum (l) is -1 or +1 (but not zero). A transition is also allowed if the change in the magnetic quantum number(m_l) is -1, 0, or +1."

I believe that both selected rules must be satisfied for any transition therefore writing something like "if the change in orbital angular momentum (l) is -1 or +1 (but not zero) AND also the change in the magnetic quantum number (m_l) is -1, 0, or +1" would have been more accurate, in my opinion.

Do I have it right? Or, perhaps I'm reading too much into it!
The text doesn't use the best phrasing. If any rule says that a transition is forbidden, then this takes precedence.

A simple way to understand it is that this all comes from integrations between the wave function of the initial state, that of the final state, and something called the transition dipole moment. That integral is almost always zero, except for special cases, and these special cases are the selection rules for ##\Delta l## and ##\Delta m_l##.

Actually, in spherical coordinates, the rule for ##\Delta l## comes from the integration over ##\theta##, and the rule for ##\Delta m_l## from the integration over ##\phi##. If either is zero, then the entire integral is zero. All transitions are thus forbidden, unless allowed by all selection rules. The integral over ##r## is never zero (unless there would be some weird special case, but I don't know of any), which is why there is no selection rule on ##n##: all ##\Delta n## are allowed.

PainterGuy said:
I was reading this discussion about helium's triplet state and it says,I understand that for helium the transition from 2s to 1s is not allowed because the selection for orbital angular momentum is not satisfied although magnetic quantum number rule is satisfied because delta_m_l=0.

My question is about the terminology. What's the difference between electric-dipole transition and magnetic dipole (M1) transition. As the lifetime of 2s triplet state for helium is 7859 seconds (almost 131 minutes!), it means that the electron finds it extremely hard to make 'regular' photon-emission transition.

Could you please elaborate on it?
My guess is that you don't yet know perturbation theory, so I can't go into details, but I'll try to summarise what is going on.

As I said above, the transitions rates are calculated using an integral, something like
$$
\int \psi_f^* \hat{H}' \psi_i d\tau
$$
where ##\psi_i## is the wave function of the initial state, ##\psi_f## the wave function of the final state, ##\hat{H}'## a Hamiltonian representing the coupling between the atom and the electromagnetic field, and the integration is carried out over all degrees of freedom of the atom.

Most often, this integral is too complicated to be carried out exactly, so some approximation must be made. The most common is to consider that the wavelengths of light in play are much greater than the size of the atom, such that the EM field is constant over the atom. Then, one can do an expansion of ##\hat{H}'## into a series of terms, which turn out to correspond to the electric dipole, the magnetic dipole, the electric quadrupole, and so on. Each term is smaller than the previous one, such that it is usually sufficient to consider only the dominant term, the electric dipole. This is why these selection rules are often called the (electric) dipole selection rules. So even if a transition is dipole forbidden, it can still happen due to other terms in the series. But since these terms are weaker, the rate of transition is much smaller, or equivalently the lifetime of the excited state is much longer.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you, @DrClaude, once again.

I really appreciate your attempt to help me with this difficult stuff which is quite hard to explain in simple terms to someone with limited knowledge of the subject.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I only understand some of the concepts qualitatively including Schrodinger equation so I won't be able to delve into mathematical description of all this. I'm trying to learn these ideas at basic level as a self-study.

I was further reading that text and came across few confusing points. Could you please guide me?

Please have a look on the attachment, or for better resolution check this link: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/9712/B2HMqq.jpg

Question 1:
Is it correct where it says that "6P state, with l=0 or 1"? I understand that the capitalization of "P" denotes that it's a spectroscopic state is being discussed and not regular 6p orbital.

I understand that there is already a typo on the left where it should have been "6S" instead.

Question 2:
The electronic configuration of mercury is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p6 4f14 5d10 6s2. Which spectroscopic notation is being used here? Is it Paschen notation? In this notation the principal quantum number of being used is of valence electrons?

In this book another notation is also mentioned where the principal quantum number starts from the last filled shell in the atom.

Question 3:
If both electrons are spinning in the same direction then total spin could be -1 or +1. This is what happens in triplet state.

If both electrons are spinning in the opposite direction then total spin would be 0. That's singlet state.

But there is a contradiction where it says that in the case of triplet state total spin could also be "0". Could you please comment on it?

Question 4:
There exist three different orientations for p orbitals, p_x, p_y, p_z.

The diagram shows that two valence electrons of mercury make a transition from 7s orbital to its 6p orbital. Or, I might be totally wrong, it's just one valence electon in 7s orbital while the other is in 6p orbital. For mercury, base state for both valence electrons is 6s.

According to Hund's rule, the electrons fill the orbital one by one, so the transition 6P_2 doesn't really mean that the electrons are in the same orbital?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Attachments

• quantum11121.jpg
    quantum11121.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 511
PainterGuy said:
Question 1:
Is it correct where it says that "6P state, with l=0 or 1"? I understand that the capitalization of "P" denotes that it's a spectroscopic state is being discussed and not regular 6p orbital.
Yes, that's spectroscopic notation. However, I do not like the notation they use (and they are not the only one using such a notation), as specifying only "6" says nothing about the electronic configuration. Something like 6s2 S or 6s6p 3P2 would have been clearer.

Note that I don't understand what they mean by the "6P state, with ##l=0## or ##1##." I take it that they use ##l## for the total orbital angular momentum (since they equate ##j## with ##l## when ##s=0##), but if it is a P state, then ##l=1##, since this is what the P stands for.

PainterGuy said:
Question 2:
The electronic configuration of mercury is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p6 4f14 5d10 6s2. Which spectroscopic notation is being used here? Is it Paschen notation? In this notation the principal quantum number of being used is of valence electrons?

In this book another notation is also mentioned where the principal quantum number starts from the last filled shell in the atom.
The electronic configuration is independent of any spectroscopic notation. It comes from the Aufbau principle, where one simply fills hydrogen-like orbitals in order of energy, following the Pauli exclusion principle. A given electronic configuration will then lead to (most often) many spectroscopic terms, each represented by a term symbol. (In other words, the electronic configuration is not sufficient to define an energy level, since the relative orientation of spin and angular momentum leads to levels of different energy.)

PainterGuy said:
I have never heard of that.

PainterGuy said:
Question 3:
If both electrons are spinning in the same direction then total spin could be -1 or +1. This is what happens in triplet state.
Total spin cannot be negative. They are confounding it with the projection of the spin on the z axis.
PainterGuy said:
If both electrons are spinning in the opposite direction then total spin would be 0. That's singlet state.

But there is a contradiction where it says that in the case of triplet state total spin could also be "0". Could you please comment on it?
Simple picture: consider spin as a classical vector. You have two spin-1/2 to add together. If they both point along z, you will have a resulting spin +1 along z, if they both point along -z, then the result is a spin of -1 along z. You can also have them with one pointing up and the other pointing down,, which would sum to 0 along z, but with them pointing both along the same direction in the x-y plane, such that they still add up to a total spin of 1.

If you have a total spin of ##S=1##, then there are three possible values of ##M_S##, +1, 0, -1. This is what the book is referring to.

Had the book not mixed up total spin and its projection along the z axis, this would probably not have confused you.

PainterGuy said:
Question 4:
There exist three different orientations for p orbitals, p_x, p_y, p_z.

The diagram shows that two valence electrons of mercury make a transition from 7s orbital to its 6p orbital. Or, I might be totally wrong, it's just one valence electon in 7s orbital while the other is in 6p orbital. For mercury, base state for both valence electrons is 6s.
The 7S1 term comes from the 6s7s electronic configuration, while the 6P triplet originates from 6s6p. To be more precise, the transitions observed here correspond to
6s7s 3S1 → 6s6p 3P0,1,2

PainterGuy said:
According to Hund's rule, the electrons fill the orbital one by one, so the transition 6P_2 doesn't really mean that the electrons are in the same orbital?
Not sure why you are citing Hund's rules here. Where you thinking instead of the Pauli exclusion principle? In any case, you see from what I wrote above that the two valence electrons are always occupying different orbitals in this particular transition.

Likes PainterGuy
Thanks very much, @DrClaude!

Question 3 (cont'd):
The text says,
"Where two electrons are considered, there are two basic types of spin states, triplets and singlets. A triplet results from a group of three symmetric states for spin in which the resulting total spin is -1, 0, or +1, yielding j values of 0, 1, and 2, as stated above. A singlet results when the spin of an excited electron is antiparallel to that of the remainder of the atom or molecule: an asymmetric state where the total combined spin is 0. Consider the simplest two-electron example in helium with two electrons: If the excited electron has a spin in the direction opposite to that of the remaining ground-state electron (which stays in a 1s state), a singlet results (with the excited species called parahelium); if the spin of the excited electron is in the same direction parallel to that of the remaining ground-state electron, a triplet results (with the excited species called orthohelium)."

DrClaude said:
Total spin cannot be negative. They are confounding it with the projection of the spin on the z axis.

DrClaude said:
Simple picture: consider spin as a classical vector. You have two spin-1/2 to add together. If they both point along z, you will have a resulting spin +1 along z, if they both point along -z, then the result is a spin of -1 along z. You can also have them with one pointing up and the other pointing down,, which would sum to 0 along z, but with them pointing both along the same direction in the x-y plane, such that they still add up to a total spin of 1.

DrClaude said:
If you have a total spin of ##S=1##, then there are three possible values of ##M_S##, +1, 0, -1. This is what the book is referring to.

I'm sorry but I'm still struggling with it. I believe that ##M_S## stands for the sum of individual magnetic spins and ##S=1## represents sum of absolute values of individual magnetic spins.

In helium example, the text kept it simple. I still don't know how to interpret this fragment "A triplet results from a group of three symmetric states for spin in which the resulting total spin is -1, 0, or +1". Why not simply say "if the spin of the excited electron is in the same direction parallel to that of the remaining ground-state electron, a triplet results"? If you could comment, it'd be really helpful.

Question 4 (cont'd):
DrClaude said:
The 7S1 term comes from the 6s7s electronic configuration, while the 6P triplet originates from 6s6p. To be more precise, the transitions observed here correspond to 6s7s 3S1 → 6s6p 3P0,1,2

I thought I better confirm it. Shouldn't it be "2" instead? Thanks.

PainterGuy said:
I'm sorry but I'm still struggling with it. I believe that ##M_S## stands for the sum of individual magnetic spins and ##S=1## represents sum of absolute values of individual magnetic spins.
##M_S## is the projection of the spin on the z axis. For any angular momentum, there are two quantum numbers that can be used to characterize it, its value and its projection on an arbitrary axis (the uncertainty principle forbids one from knowing the projection on more than one axis at the same time). By convention, the quantization axis is usually the z axis.

For any angular momentum (meaning ##j## can be here replaced by ##l## or ##s##), a system in an eigenstate of both the angular momentum operator ##\hat{J}## and the operator ##\hat{J}_z## is represented by two quantum numbers ##j## and ##m_j##, corresponding to a total angular momentum of ##\sqrt{j (j+1)} \hbar## and a component of that total angular momentum along z of ##m_j \hbar##.

PainterGuy said:
In helium example, the text kept it simple. I still don't know how to interpret this fragment "A triplet results from a group of three symmetric states for spin in which the resulting total spin is -1, 0, or +1". Why not simply say "if the spin of the excited electron is in the same direction parallel to that of the remaining ground-state electron, a triplet results"? If you could comment, it'd be really helpful.
It depends on what "parallel" means here. If you take it to mean "pointing in the same direction along z," then the problem is that the triplet state doesn't simply corresponds to parallel spins. When you add together two spin-1/2 particles, you can get a total spin of 0 or 1. In terms of spinors, for ##\alpha## meaning spin-up and ##\beta## meaning spin-down, then two spin-1/2 particles in a state with spin 1 can be in one of three states,
$$
\alpha(1) \alpha(2) \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left [ \alpha(1) \beta(2) + \beta(1) \alpha(2) \right] \\
\beta(1) \beta(2)
$$
As you see, one of these states is made up of a combination of the two particles not being parallel, but still adding up to a total spin of 1. That state is the one for which ##M_S=0##.

The singlet state, corresponding to ##S=0## is
$$
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left [ \alpha(1) \beta(2) - \beta(1) \alpha(2) \right]
$$

PainterGuy said:
I thought I better confirm it. Shouldn't it be "2" instead? Thanks.
No, that's a 3. These are two triplet states, meaning ##S=1## (the spectroscopic notation is 2S+1LJ). They have to be the same, since the selection rule is ##\Delta S = 0## (in the dipole approximation, there is no coupling between the EM field and spin, so the total spin cannot change).

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you, @DrClaude!

Question 1:
I have a point to clarify from Question 4 in the last post. Please have a look on the attachment titled "11-21-2018 4-31-09", or for better resolution check this link: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/5935/Ld25Ou.jpg

The figure shows an electron making a transition from 7S1 to either of three energy levels of p orbital, 6P0, 6P1, 6P2. The books uses the subscript "1" in 7S1 to denote triplet state.

There are three different orientations for p orbital with the same energy, i.e. px, py, and pz. I believe each orientation is divided into three different energy levels depending upon different interactions like spin-spin interactions, L-S coupling, etc.

Assuming my understanding is fine, the other electron of mercury could still be in ground state, i.e. 6s1, or in one of the other orientations of 6p orbital, or it might be somewhere above 7s orbital. Do I have it correct?

Question 2:
Please have a look on the attachment titled "11-21-2018 4-37-19", or for better resolution check this link: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/9229/wqWflz.jpg

Neon's 5s1 level is divided into four different energy levels. How do these energy levels occur? Are the following correct reasons?

1: spin and angular momentum in same direction in 5s1
2: spin and angular momentum in opposite direction is 5s1
3: both unpaired electrons in 2p5 and 5s1 spinning in the same direction
4: both unpaired electrons in 2p5 and 5s1 spinning in the same direction

Thanks a lot for you help and time!

Attachments

• 11-21-2018 4-31-09 PM.jpg
    11-21-2018 4-31-09 PM.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 357
  • 11-21-2018 4-37-19 PM.jpg
    11-21-2018 4-37-19 PM.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 319
PainterGuy said:
The figure shows an electron making a transition from 7S1 to either of three energy levels of p orbital, 6P0, 6P1, 6P2. The books uses the subscript "1" in 7S1 to denote triplet state.
That's not correct. The subscript indicates the value of ##J##. As I wrote above, this is a triplet state, 3S1. Since ##J = L + S## and ##L=0## (since it is a S term), then ##J = S = 1##.

PainterGuy said:
There are three different orientations for p orbital with the same energy, i.e. px, py, and pz. I believe each orientation is divided into three different energy levels depending upon different interactions like spin-spin interactions, L-S coupling, etc.
The ##m_l## degeneracy (same energy for each ##m_l## value) is lifted by spin-orbit interaction. There is no spin-spin interaction being taken into account at this level of the theory.

PainterGuy said:
Assuming my understanding is fine, the other electron of mercury could still be in ground state, i.e. 6s1, or in one of the other orientations of 6p orbital, or it might be somewhere above 7s orbital. Do I have it correct?
As I wrote above, these levels correspond to the 6s6p and 6s7s electronic configurations of Hg, so yes, one electron is still in the 6s orbital.

PainterGuy said:
Neon's 5s1 level is divided into four different energy levels. How do these energy levels occur? Are the following correct reasons?

1: spin and angular momentum in same direction in 5s1
2: spin and angular momentum in opposite direction is 5s1
3: both unpaired electrons in 2p5 and 5s1 spinning in the same direction
4: both unpaired electrons in 2p5 and 5s1 spinning in the same direction
Things are way more complicated here, and I won't be able to give you a full explanation. To understand the level structure, you have to know the rules of addition of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. In addition, there is the Pauli principle that constrains the states that are available, especially in this case where you have equivalent electrons (same n and l). I discussed above the triplet vs singlet state for two electrons, where I explained that in the triplet state the spin of the electrons is not necessarily "parallel" in the simple sense of the word. Here, you can't think of it only as spin and orbital angular momenta being aligned or anti-aligned.

Likes PainterGuy
Thanks a lot, @DrClaude!

Question 1:
You are correct that the subscript "1" in 3S1 is J. I also do agree that the superscript "3" represents triplet state although the book isn't clear about this. However, I wanted to clarify a point about the superscript. In the book, as you can see below, a superscript is used to represent individual energy levels of an energy state such as 6P state below. So, isn't there a little confusion between 3S1 and notation like 63P2? I'm sorry if it's just splitting hairs.

"Unlike sodium, mercury has two valence electrons. These two electrons may have their spins in opposite directions, in which case they effectively cancel each other out, resulting in a spin of s=0. The subscript j, then, is simply the orbital angular momentum l. If the spins are in the same direction, the contribution from spin is s=1. Consider the 6S state. l=0, but spin can contribute a value of 0 or 1, so the 3S state becomes two states: 6S0 and 6S1. The 6P state, with l=0 or 1, can now yield values for j of 0, 1, and 2. These levels are designated as 63P0 , 63P1 , and 63P2 , where the superscript 3 denotes that the multiplicity of the level is three." Source: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/5935/Ld25Ou.jpg (first paragraph)

Question 2:
This one might be a silly question but anyway does triplet state always occur for s orbitals? For example, as you can see the highlighted statement, http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/5935/Ld25Ou.jpg, in energy level 6P2 both electrons are spinning in the same direction but it's not considered a triplet state.

Question 3:
It's related to Question 2 but I separated it for clarity.

Also, it looks like triplet state is metastable. Are forbidden transitions, as dictated by selection rules, related to the triplet states? For example, both singlet and triplet state of helium cannot decay radioactively because these are forbidden transitions; these are metastable states with extended lifetime. The value of the singlet lifetime for both He-3 and He-4 is 19.7 msec and the lifetime of 2s triplet state for helium is 7859 seconds.

Also triplet state is less likely to occur compared to singlet state, https://chem.libretexts.org/Textbook_Maps/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Map:_Physical_Chemistry_for_the_Biosciences_(Chang)/14:_Spectroscopy/14.7:_Fluorescence_and_Phosphorescence (third para).

Question 4:
You are right about neon transitions problem but I just wanted to clarify a general point. Please have a look at the attachment. You can see that the orbital 5s is divided into 4 energy states and 4p is divided into 10 energy states. Ideally, there could be 40 different transitions between these two orbitals. Do I make sense?

PainterGuy said:
The figure shows an electron making a transition from 7S1 to either of three energy levels of p orbital, 6P0, 6P1, 6P2.

DrClaude said:
The ml degeneracy (same energy for each ml value) is lifted by spin-orbit interaction. There is no spin-spin interaction being taken into account at this level of the theory.

So, the equal energy level of each ml degeneracy, px, py, and pz, gets splitted into three unequal energy states.

I really appreciate your help and time. I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• getImage (2).jpg
    getImage (2).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
PainterGuy said:
Question 1:
You are correct that the subscript "1" in 3S1 is J. I also do agree that the superscript "3" represents triplet state although the book isn't clear about this. However, I wanted to clarify a point about the superscript. In the book, as you can see below, a superscript is used to represent individual energy levels of an energy state such as 6P state below. So, isn't there a little confusion between 3S1 and notation like 63P2? I'm sorry if it's just splitting hairs.
It's the same notation: 2S+1J. The author is sloppy and sometimes forgets the multiplicity (2S+1).

PainterGuy said:
Question 2:
This one might be a silly question but anyway does triplet state always occur for s orbitals? For example, as you can see the highlighted statement, http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/5935/Ld25Ou.jpg, in energy level 6P2 both electrons are spinning in the same direction but it's not considered a triplet state.
That passage is very badly written. For instance, the author writes that the energy is lowest for 6P2, while obviously in the diagram (which is correct) the lowest energy level is 6P0.

I don't understand your question: "does triplet state always occur for s orbitals?" To get a triplet state, meaning ##S=1##, you need at least 2 electrons with parallel spin. If you can get that for s orbitals (meaning that n must be different, e.g., 3s4s), then yes there will be a triplet state. If the two electrons are in the same orbital (e.g., 3s2), then because of the Pauli exclusion principle, you can't a triplet.

PainterGuy said:
Question 3:

Also, it looks like triplet state is metastable. Are forbidden transitions, as dictated by selection rules, related to the triplet states? For example, both singlet and triplet state of helium cannot decay radioactively ? because these are forbidden transitions; these are metastable states with extended lifetime. The value of the singlet lifetime for both He-3 and He-4 is 19.7 msec and the lifetime of 2s triplet state for helium is 7859 seconds.
The 1s2s 3S1 in helium is metastable because the only level below that one is 1s2 1S0, and the transition between the two are forbidden because ##\Delta S \neq 0##. That said, the 1s2p 3P0,1,2 is not metastable because it can decay to 1s2s 3S1. So yes, the first triplet state is metastable because it is a triplet state, but most triplet states are not metastable.

PainterGuy said:
Transitions are less likely to occur. But the case presented is when the ground state is a singlet state. There are many cases where the ground state is a triplet state.

PainterGuy said:
Question 4:
You are right about neon transitions problem but I just wanted to clarify a general point. Please have a look at the attachment. You can see that the orbital 5s is divided into 4 energy states and 4p is divided into 10 energy states. Ideally, there could be 40 different transitions between these two orbitals. Do I make sense?
You have to be careful with the language. "The orbital 5s is divided into 4 energy states" makes no sense. It is the electronic configuration 2p55s1 that splits into 4 levels (those 2p5 electrons are important). I would be surprised if transitions between the 40 pairs of levels would all be allowed, but there are going to be quite a few of them.

PainterGuy said:
So, the equal energy level of each ml degeneracy, px, py, and pz, gets splitted into three unequal energy states.
As I wrote previously, things are a bit more complicated than this. When you have more than one electron, you have to consider relative orientations of orbital angular momentum and spin, so you cannot think in terms of the ml values of a single orbital. It depends on how you can arrange all those electrons on the different orbitals.

Likes PainterGuy
Thanks a lot, @DrClaude!

I'm sorry that my terminology and language below is not really accurate.

My question was:
PainterGuy said:
Question 1:
You are correct that the subscript "1" in 3S1 is J. I also do agree that the superscript "3" represents triplet state although the book isn't clear about this. However, I wanted to clarify a point about the superscript. In the book, as you can see below, a superscript is used to represent individual energy levels of an energy state such as 6P state below. So, isn't there a little confusion between 3S1 and notation like 63P2?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/5935/Ld25Ou.jpg (first paragraph)

Your reply:
DrClaude said:
It's the same notation: 2S+1J. The author is sloppy and sometimes forgets the multiplicity (2S+1).

So, the electron in energy level 73S1 is in a triplet state with reference to 6s1 electron but the transition is not allowed from this level to 6s1 according to selection rules.

Along the same lines, the electron in energy level 63P2 is in a triplet state with reference to 6s1 electron and the transition is allowed from this level to 6s1 according to selection rules. It means that triplet state could also occur between different orbitals like between 's' and 'p' orbitals.

2S+1LJ where "S" is total spin of two electrons, L is angular momentum, and J=L+S.

My question was:
PainterGuy said:
Question 3:

Also, it looks like triplet state is metastable. Are forbidden transitions, as dictated by selection rules, related to the triplet states? For example, both singlet and triplet state of helium cannot decay radioactively because these are forbidden transitions; these are metastable states with extended lifetime. The value of the singlet lifetime for both He-3 and He-4 is 19.7 msec and the lifetime of 2s triplet state for helium is 7859 seconds.

Your reply:
DrClaude said:
The 1s2s 3S1 in helium is metastable because the only level below that one is 1s2 1S0, and the transition between the two are forbidden because ##\Delta S \neq 0##. That said, the 1s2p 3P0,1,2 is not metastable because it can decay to 1s2s 3S1. So yes, the first triplet state is metastable because it is a triplet state, but most triplet states are not metastable.

I thought that I better clarify your choice of words so there is no misunderstanding.

You said, "##\Delta S \neq 0##". But the transition is also forbidden in view of selection rules on angular momentum and magnetic quantum number.

You said, "That said, the 1s2p 3P0,1,2 is not metastable because it can decay to 1s2s 3S1." Though it is a triplet state but still not a metastable one. Although the ##\Delta S \neq 0##, the selection rules allow the transition.

I'm sure I have it quite wrong!

Thanks a lot.

PainterGuy said:
I'm sorry that my terminology and language below is not really accurate.
I'm correcting the terminology because I think it is essential here to distinguish different things, otherwise it is going to be impossible to understand what this is all about.

Also, I must say that the textbook you are using is pretty awful, so I understand your confusion.

PainterGuy said:
So, the electron in energy level 73S1 is in a triplet state with reference to 6s1 electron but the transition is not allowed from this level to 6s1 according to selection rules.

Along the same lines, the electron in energy level 63P2 is in a triplet state with reference to 6s1 electron and the transition is allowed from this level to 6s1 according to selection rules. It means that triplet state could also occur between different orbitals like between 's' and 'p' orbitals.
I get the feeling that you are mixing up some things. A given electron cannot be in a triplet state; it takes at least two electrons to make up a triplet state, since it is state for which S=1. In reality, you have to consider the entire electronic configuration of Hg, which in the ground state is

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14 5s2 5p6 5d10 6s2

It is all these electrons together that are in a given level. That said, we actually need to concentrate on the valence electrons, in this case 6s2, because the other electrons will not contribute anything to L or S since they are in filled sub-shells (ns2, np6, nd10, or nf14).

So considering only the valence electrons, we consider here two excited electronic configurations, 6s6p and 6s7s. In both cases, we get a singlet and a triplet state, depending on the spin orientations (see post #11 above). The 6s6p configuration has L=1, so it gives two terms, 1P and 3P, and adding J we get the levels
1P1 3P0 3P1 3P2

From the diagram, it is then clear that what the author designates 6P is the triplet 3P0, 3P1, and 3P2

The 6s7s configuration has L=0, so it gives two terms, 1S and 3S, and the levels are
1S0 3S1

Checking the diagram, what is label 7S1 is thus this 3S1 level.

All transitions in shown in the diagram are allowed.

PainterGuy said:
You said, "##\Delta S \neq 0##". But the transition is also forbidden in view of selection rules on angular momentum and magnetic quantum number.
I should've been clearer here. The transition has
##\Delta l = 0## → forbidden
##\Delta L = 0## → generally allowed, but L=0 ↔ L= forbidden
##\Delta J = 1## → allowed
##\Delta S = 1## → forbidden

But here the change of spin is the "most forbidden," leading to a much longer lifetime (about 7870 s). For comparison, the 1s2s 1S0 level is also metastable since it breaks two selection rules (but not the one on spin), but its lifetime is only 20 ms.

PainterGuy said:
You said, "That said, the 1s2p 3P0,1,2 is not metastable because it can decay to 1s2s 3S1." Though it is a triplet state but still not a metastable one. Although the ##\Delta S \neq 0##, the selection rules allow the transition.
Here, ##\Delta S=0##, which is why it is not metastable. It is a triplet state, but there is a triplet state lower in energy to which it can decay.

Likes PainterGuy
Hi @DrClaude

I'm sorry to ask you about this after so many days. I wanted to clarify a point from my previous post.

DrClaude said:
I should've been clearer here. The transition has
##\Delta l= 0## → forbidden
##\Delta L= 0## → generally allowed, but L=0 ↔ L= forbidden

You first time used "L" in post #11 when you introduced this formula 2S+1LJ. I had thought that you were simply using "L" in place of "l" where "l" is azimuthal quantum number. Also I believe that somewhere in mind I was thinking that "L" is total angular momentum of levels involved. It looks like I was wrong.

?temp_hash=3b8e69ee4201ac1578634d9570713001.jpg

In posts #13 and #16 you are only using "l" of the upper level involved in the transition. Perhaps "L" is used instead of "l" when more than one valence electrons are involved.

This is what Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_quantum_number#Derivation (second para) says:

Could you please clarify your use of "L" in your last post and previous ones? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• post11.jpg
    post11.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 264
  • post13.jpg
    post13.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 289
  • post16.jpg
    post16.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 306
  • wiki_L.jpg
    wiki_L.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 305
  • ?temp_hash=3b8e69ee4201ac1578634d9570713001.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 752
    14.2 KB · Views: 719
    13.1 KB · Views: 706
    27.4 KB · Views: 931
The convention I followed is that ##l## is used for single electrons and ##L## is used for many electrons. In a sense ##L= \sum l## (although one has to be careful, as there are special rules when adding up angular momentum in quantum mechanics).

PainterGuy said:
I completely disagree. I think this is a personal opinion that goes against Wikipedia's NPOV rule.

Likes PainterGuy and bhobba

1. What are allowed and forbidden transitions in the context of atomic spectra?

Allowed and forbidden transitions refer to the movement of electrons between energy levels in an atom. Allowed transitions are those that follow the selection rules, meaning they are possible according to the laws of quantum mechanics. Forbidden transitions, on the other hand, violate these rules and are therefore less likely to occur.

2. What determines whether a transition is allowed or forbidden?

The selection rules for allowed and forbidden transitions are based on the conservation of angular momentum and parity, as well as the electric dipole moment of the atom. These rules dictate which transitions are possible and which are not.

3. Why are forbidden transitions important in atomic spectra?

Forbidden transitions may be less likely to occur, but they can provide important information about the energy levels and structure of atoms. By studying the frequencies and intensities of forbidden transitions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles of atomic physics.

4. How do forbidden transitions affect the appearance of atomic spectra?

Forbidden transitions typically appear as weaker or absent lines in atomic spectra compared to allowed transitions. This is because they occur less frequently and therefore have lower intensity. However, they can still provide valuable information for understanding the energy levels and transitions of atoms.

5. Can forbidden transitions ever become allowed?

In some cases, forbidden transitions can become allowed under certain conditions. For example, in a high-energy environment such as a plasma or in the presence of a strong magnetic field, the selection rules may be relaxed and forbidden transitions can become allowed. This can provide scientists with new insights into the behavior of atoms under extreme conditions.