Alpha particle approaching a gold nucleus

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the electric force acting on an alpha particle approaching a gold nucleus with a charge of 79e at a distance of 2.0e-17 m. The formula used was FE=k(q1q2)/d2, where FE is the electric force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and d is the distance between them. The mistake in the calculation was due to a misinterpretation of the unit for electric charge, which should have been expressed in Coulombs instead of e. The distance given in the problem seemed too small to be reasonable, suggesting a possible misprint.
Randell Julius

Homework Statement

An alpha particle approaches at high speeds a gold nucleus with a charge of 79e. What is the electric force acting on the alpha particle when it is 2.0e-17 m from the gold nucleus?

Homework Equations

FE=k(q1q2)/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

FE=k(q1q2)/d2
FE=9e9((2e)(79e))/(2.0e-17)2
FE=9.1e7 N

The answer in the back of the book says that it is 9.1 e -12 N.

Not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the force to be in units of Newtons, what should be the units for electric charge?

TSny said:
If you want the force to be in units of Newtons, what should be the units for electric charge?
It should be in Coulombs.

Randell Julius said:
It should be in Coulombs.
Yes. It looks like you made a minor error in expressing the two charges in terms of Coulombs. Check to see if you missed a factor of 10-19.

TSny said:
Yes. It looks like you made a minor error in expressing the two charges in terms of Coulombs. Check to see if you missed a factor of 10-19.
The value we used for e was 1.602e-19 Coulombs

Randell Julius said:
The value we used for e was 1.602e-19 Coulombs
Yes. Note that e occurs twice, once for each charge. So, how many factors of 1.602 x 10-19 occur in the numerator of the force calculation?

TSny said:
Yes. Note that e occurs twice, once for each charge. So, how many factors of 1.602 x 10-19 occur in the numerator of the force calculation?
2 factors of 1.602 * 10-19.

OK. My mistake. Since your answer was off by exactly a factor of 10-19, I assumed (wrongly) that you had missed a factor of 10-19 in substituting for the charges. Now that I have grabbed my calculator and checked your work, I'm getting the same answer as you. The distance for d given in the problem looks way too small to be reasonable. (It is much less than the size of a nucleus!) So, I think there must have been a misprint in the problem statement for the distance d.

TSny said:
OK. My mistake. Since your answer was off by exactly a factor of 10-19, I assumed (wrongly) that you had missed a factor of 10-19 in substituting for the charges. Now that I have grabbed my calculator and checked your work, I'm getting the same answer as you. The distance for d given in the problem looks way too small to be reasonable. (It is much less than the size of a nucleus!) So, I think there must have been a misprint in the problem statement for the distance d.
Okay thank you very much.

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of particle that consists of two protons and two neutrons, which is equivalent to a helium nucleus. It is emitted by radioactive materials during the process of radioactive decay.

2. How does an alpha particle approach a gold nucleus?

An alpha particle approaches a gold nucleus through a process known as alpha decay. During this process, the alpha particle is emitted from the nucleus of a radioactive atom, traveling at high speeds towards the gold nucleus.

3. What happens when an alpha particle approaches a gold nucleus?

When an alpha particle approaches a gold nucleus, it can either be deflected or absorbed by the gold nucleus. This depends on the energy and trajectory of the alpha particle, as well as the size and composition of the gold nucleus.

4. What is the significance of studying alpha particles approaching gold nuclei?

Studying alpha particles approaching gold nuclei can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of atoms and nuclei. It can also help in understanding the behavior of radioactive materials and their potential effects on the environment and human health.

5. How is the interaction between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus related to the strong nuclear force?

The interaction between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus is related to the strong nuclear force, which is the fundamental force that holds the nucleus of an atom together. This force is responsible for the binding energy that keeps the protons and neutrons in the nucleus from flying apart due to their electrical repulsion.