Calculating Electrical Force on Alpha Particle Near Gold Nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Coulomb's law to calculate the electrical force acting on an alpha particle when it is 2.0 x 10-14 m from a gold nucleus. The correct equation for Coulomb's law is E = k(q1q2/r^2), with k = 9 x 10^9. The mistake in the solution attempt was using e as the base of the natural logarithms instead of the fundamental unit of charge. The correct answer is E = 91 N and it is a repelling force.
komarxian

Homework Statement

An alpha particle (charge equals +2e) is sent at high speed toward a gold nucleus (charge equals +79e). What is the electrical force acting on the alpha particle when it is (2.0 x 10-14) m from the gold nucleus?

Homework Equations

I tried using Coulomb's law, which is E = k(q1q2/r2), with k = 9 x 109.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use Coulomb's law, and plugged it into get

E = (9 x 109)(2e)(79e)/(2 x 10-14)

and my answer was

E= 2.6 x 1040
E is a repelling force

The answer in my textbook is E=91 N and it is a repelling force (I got that part right at least!), and I would really like to know where I went wrong. I was thinking maybe by some chance I plugged it into my calculator wrong, but if someone could double check or tell me where I went wrong, that would be amazing.

Thank you so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation e represents the fundamental unit of charge, not e the base of the natural logarithms. What's the charge on a proton?

Likes komarxian
gneill said:
In your equation e represents the fundamental unit of charge, not e the base of the natural logarithms. What's the charge on a proton?
OH! Thank you so much. I got the right answer. A proton is q = +1.6 x 10-19 C. Now I know that for in the future.

1. What is electrical force?

Electrical force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It is also known as Coulomb's law and is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as the attraction between protons and electrons in an atom.

2. How is electrical force calculated?

The strength of electrical force between two charged particles is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electrical force?

The unit of electrical force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. It can also be expressed in terms of Coulombs (C), the unit of charge, as N = C^2/m^2.

4. How does distance affect electrical force?

The strength of electrical force decreases as the distance between two charged particles increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

5. What are some real-life examples of electrical force?

Electrical force is responsible for many everyday phenomena, including the attraction between opposite charges on a balloon and a wool sweater, the repulsion between two positively charged magnets, and the flow of electricity through wires and circuits. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones.