Alpha Particles of Uranium 238

In summary, the discussion revolved around the behavior of alpha particles from radiation. It was established that these particles follow the same gravitational laws as us, but their high speed makes it difficult to observe any deflection. The trajectory of the particles depends on the initial angle and they will eventually slow down and become helium atoms. The arc example was used to illustrate the trajectory of a particle thrown horizontally, but it was concluded that for alpha particles, the effect of gravity is negligible due to their light weight and short travel distance. The presence of an electric field may have a more noticeable effect on the particles.
On_A_Quest
I have a simple question. Do alpha particles from radiation arc and fall after leaving its source? Are these particles bound by the same gravitational laws as us?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. However, typical particle speeds are so high that you will not really see much of a deflection.

Likes vanhees71
In general - yes. That is, assuming they don't collide with other atoms present in their surroundings (bulk metal, air).

You can try to find out their speed (you can calculate it from their energy, which should be easy to google), and estimate their behavior on the Earth surface assuming no air, just a gravitational field. This is a rather simple physics problem, actually not different from all these questions about John throwing a stone from a window :wink:

Likes vanhees71 and mfb
I guess my next question would be why the arc? Why now just fall from a linear plain?

On_A_Quest said:
I guess my next question would be why the arc? Why now just fall from a linear plain?
When an alpha particle leaves a nucleus, two electrons are also released by the nucleus. The alpha particle will collide with other atoms until it slows to equilibrium in the surrounding environment. At some point the +2 nucleus will capture two electrons and become a Helium (4) atom, and so in the atmosphere it will be He gas. Underground, it will also be gas, which will collect in whatever porosity is available. In deposits of natural gas, one will find He and sometimes Rn, from decay of U and other heavy radionuclides.

All matter is subject to effect of gravity.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, berkeman and vanhees71
Did you do the calculation suggested by Borek? You'll see that the effect is absolutely negligible.

Likes vanhees71
On_A_Quest said:
I guess my next question would be why the arc?
You were the one` to bring it up. My question is "why"?

On_A_Quest said:
I guess my next question would be why the arc?
Well, the trajectory depends on the initial angle (relative to "down," the direction of gravity) just like for a cannonball. If the initial direction of the particle happens to be straight down, then no, there is no arc.

Why now just fall from a linear plain?
I don't understand what you are asking here.

gmax137 said:
Well, the trajectory depends on the initial angle (relative to "down," the direction of gravity) just like for a cannonball. If the initial direction of the particle happens to be straight down, then no, there is no arc.I don't understand what you are asking here.
I think he meant that if the alpha is emitted say horizontally from the nucleus then it would essentially start a linear descent forming a traced line hat is roughly 45 degrees.

The arc example I understand was meat to be similar to how one would throw a basketball up and sideways ad then it would travel up before falling back down and the line that traced the ball would roughly resemble an arc. But then mfb already gave the main answer
mfb said:
Did you do the calculation suggested by Borek? You'll see that the effect is absolutely negligible.
which is that for something that light and traveling that short of a distance on average gravity is a negligible effect
If there was even a slight E field somewhere (realistically there always is I think) it's effect would be far more noticeable on the overall positively charged alpha than gravity

The OP hasn't been back. Just a hit and run post.

What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are a type of particle that is emitted during the radioactive decay of certain elements, including uranium 238. They consist of two protons and two neutrons, and are positively charged.

How are alpha particles produced from uranium 238?

Uranium 238 undergoes a process called alpha decay, in which it releases an alpha particle from its nucleus. This results in the formation of a new element with a lower atomic number.

What is the energy of alpha particles from uranium 238?

The energy of alpha particles from uranium 238 can vary, but on average they have an energy of about 4.2 MeV (million electron volts). This energy is released as the alpha particle travels away from the nucleus.

What are the properties of alpha particles from uranium 238?

Alpha particles from uranium 238 have a relatively large mass and a positive charge, making them highly ionizing. They also have a short range in air and can be stopped by a few centimeters of air or a sheet of paper.

What are the uses of alpha particles from uranium 238?

Alpha particles from uranium 238 have several important uses, including in smoke detectors, as a power source for spacecraft, and in cancer treatment through a process called alpha therapy. They can also be used in scientific research to study the properties of matter.