Alternate derivation of output capacitor ripple voltage buck

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the output voltage ripple of a buck converter using just the waveforms and the inductor ripple. The expected answer is D(1-D)Vin/(16*L*C*f^2), but the individual is getting D(1-D)Vin/(8*L*C*f^2) due to a possible mistake in letting Ic=deltaIL. They are seeking help and clarification, and mention that this is not a homework assignment but their own curiosity. They also request a circuit diagram and waveform sketches for further understanding.
Dextrine

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the output voltage ripple of a buck converter by using just the waveforms and the inductor ripple.

Homework Equations

[/B]

I know that the answer is supposed to be D(1-D)Vin/(16*L*C*f^2) but I keep getting D(1-D)Vin/(8*L*C*f^2)The equations I end up using are Ic=C*dVc/dt and I let Ic=deltaIL.

I know deltaIL= D(1-D)Vin/(2*L*f) and I know that the period that the capacitor has increasing voltage is Ts/4

The Attempt at a Solution

with this knowledge, multiplying everything together gives D(1-D)Vin/(8*L*C*f^2)

I think I'm making some sort of mistake letting Ic=deltaIL and it makes be off by a factor of 2.Any help is very appreciated (this isn't homework, just my own curiosity. I've seen the derivation for capacitor
voltage ripple using the charge on the capacitor but I wanted to try to do it this way.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a circuit diagram that identifies the components, currents and voltages.
Please sketch the waveforms you expect and show the voltage measurement points on the waves.

1. What is the purpose of deriving the output capacitor ripple voltage in a buck converter?

The output capacitor ripple voltage is important to calculate as it affects the overall output voltage stability and efficiency of the buck converter. It helps to determine the amount of voltage ripple that will be present in the output, which can then be compared to the desired output voltage to ensure proper regulation.

2. How is the output capacitor ripple voltage calculated in a buck converter?

The output capacitor ripple voltage can be calculated using the equation Vr = (Iout * Ton) / (2 * C), where Vr is the output capacitor ripple voltage, Iout is the output current, Ton is the on-time of the switch, and C is the value of the output capacitor.

3. Can the output capacitor ripple voltage be reduced in a buck converter?

Yes, the output capacitor ripple voltage can be reduced by increasing the value of the output capacitor. However, this will also increase the size and cost of the overall system. Another way to reduce the ripple voltage is by using a lower switching frequency, but this may also decrease the efficiency of the converter.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a larger output capacitor to reduce ripple voltage?

Using a larger output capacitor can increase the cost and size of the system, which may not be feasible in some applications. It can also result in slower transient response and longer settling times, which can affect the performance of the converter.

5. What are some alternate ways to derive the output capacitor ripple voltage in a buck converter?

Apart from using the basic equation, there are alternate methods available such as using simulation software or measuring the output capacitor ripple voltage directly using an oscilloscope. These methods can provide more accurate results and can also take into account any parasitic effects in the circuit.