Alternating Current: Cant understand the question

In summary, there is a question about a circuit with a resistive element and an inductor. The inductor has a self inductance of 50 millihenrys and an ohmic resistance of 4.5 ohms. The question is whether this ohmic resistance is the same as the inductive reactance, and how to calculate the total resistance in the circuit. The answer is that all coils have some resistance in addition to their inductance, and in this case, the total resistance is the sum of the 4.5 ohms and the 30 ohms of the resistive element.
Toyona10
Alternating Current: Cant understand the question!...

Hi guys...

I was trying this question out (from alternating current) but I'm not sure whether i should do what the solution book says or listen to what my course teacher said (This is not homework, I am just not clear about a line in this question...) Here goes:'A resistive element of 30 ohms is connected in series with an inductance coil the self inductanceof which is 50 millihenrys and the ohmic resistance of which is 4.5 ohms. A voltage v=100cos377t volts is connected to the series branch...'ok so here are my questions: That ohmic resistance which is mentioned, is that the XL? My teacher said it is :S... If it is then how? because XL= wL and that gives a different value..

And if that ohmic resistance is NOT XL, then should we just add that with the 30 ohms of the resistive element? And why is an ohmic resistance of an inductor mentioned anyways? Do all inductors have a separate ohmic resistance besides having an inductive reactance??

Im really looking forward to the reply because I've got a quiz tomorrow...

Thanks a lot in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

All coils have some resistance as well as inductance because they are just wound with wire which has resistance.

In this case, the coil has 4.5 ohms of resistance and 50 mH of inductance. The reactance of the inductive component is XL or (2 * π * F * L). These are regarded as being in series although the resistance occurs along the whole length of the wire.

It also has 30 ohms in series with it.

ahh i get it now...so it seems the solution book is right with this question at least..anyways thanks again:)

Related to Alternating Current: Cant understand the question

What is alternating current?

Alternating current (AC) is an electrical current that periodically reverses direction. It is the type of current commonly used in homes and businesses, and it powers most of the appliances and devices we use on a daily basis.

How does alternating current differ from direct current?

The main difference between AC and direct current (DC) is the direction of the flow of electrons. In AC, the flow of electrons alternates between forward and backward, while in DC, the flow is always in one direction. AC is typically used for transmitting electricity over long distances, while DC is used for powering smaller devices.

What are the advantages of using alternating current?

One of the main advantages of AC is that it can be easily transformed to different voltages, making it more efficient for long-distance transmission. It is also easier to convert AC to DC, which is necessary for powering most electronic devices. Additionally, AC does not require expensive and bulky batteries for storage.

What are the potential dangers of working with alternating current?

One of the main dangers of AC is the risk of electric shock. The high voltage and alternating nature of AC can cause muscle contractions and interfere with the normal electrical signals in the body, which can be fatal. It is important to always take proper precautions and use the correct equipment when working with AC.

How is alternating current generated?

Alternating current is typically generated by rotating a coil of wire inside a magnetic field. This creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an alternating current in the coil. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for most AC generators.