Alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum charge for C1 in a circuit and whether or not the maximum current changes on the left side of the circuit after the switch closes. It also touches on the concept of impedance and how it combines in parallel circuits. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the help and clarification on complex numbers.
solour

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/TOUjV
wl0O4y2.png

part b, specifically finding the maximum charge for C1.
The question that boggles me is whether Imax changes on the left side of the circuit, after the switch closes.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Xc = 1/(wC) XL = wL

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find max charge on C2 because I know the voltage on both sides of the current is the same. Vmax must be 120, and multiplying that by the capacitance will give me the maximum charge.

To find the maximum charge on C1, I need the maximum voltage on C1, which equals Imax*Xc.

Imax with the switch closed was found in the previous question, however, after the switch closes, (what I think) the maximum current on the left side must changes since there will be current going to the capacitor on the right.

Some of my classmates did the problem assuming that the maximum current on the left side does not change, though they do not have a satisfying explanation.

Heres how I got C2
Q = CV
V = Imax X = 120/5*(1/((1/3)*3)) = 24V
24V*3 = 72C

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wl0O4y2.png

solour said:

Homework Statement

part b, specifically finding the maximum charge for C1.
The question that boggles me is whether Imax changes on the left side of the circuit, after the switch closes.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Xc = 1/(wC) XL = wL

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find max charge on C2 because I know the voltage on both sides of the current is the same. Vmax must be 120, and multiplying that by the capacitance will give me the maximum charge.

To find the maximum charge on C1, I need the maximum voltage on C1, which equals Imax*Xc.

Imax with the switch closed was found in the previous question, however, after the switch closes, (what I think) the maximum current on the left side must changes since there will be current going to the capacitor on the right.
Will the voltage change across the RLC circuit?

ehild said:
wl0O4y2.png

Will the voltage change across the RLC circuit?
No, it will not, since the two branches are in parallel!
So the current wouldn't change!
Thanks for the hint!

However, if it does not change, then the current out from the source after the switch is closed will be higher than when the switch is opened.
Does that mean the impedance of the entire circuit decreased?(if we can think of impedance as analogous to resistance, I am kind of the confused as to the way impedance stacks up)

My first year engineering physics class does not cover AC in parallels, however, I am fairly interested in the subject and wouldn't mind any terms that would require some googling for myself.

solour said:
However, if it does not change, then the current out from the source after the switch is closed will be higher than when the switch is opened.
Does that mean the impedance of the entire circuit decreased?(if we can think of impedance as analogous to resistance, I am kind of the confused as to the way impedance stacks up)
The total current that the source provides will be higher, yes. The load impedance that the voltage source sees will decrease, yes.

Impedances combine in the same way that resistances do. The difference is that impedances vary with frequency.

solour said:
No, it will not, since the two branches are in parallel!
So the current wouldn't change!
Thanks for the hint!

My first year engineering physics class does not cover AC in parallels, however, I am fairly interested in the subject and wouldn't mind any terms that would require some googling for myself.
Yes, two branches are connected in parallel to the same source. The reciprocal of the complex impedances add up. The complex impedance have both magnitude and phase, so it is not sure that two impedances in parallel mean smaller impedance then any of them. For example, an inductor and capacitor in parallel have an equivalent impedance with higher magnitude than that of the inductor or the capacitor. If you are familiar with complex numbers, it will not be difficult!

gneill said:
The total current that the source provides will be higher, yes. The load impedance that the voltage source sees will decrease, yes.

Impedances combine in the same way that resistances do. The difference is that impedances vary with frequency.
Got it! Thanks a lot!

ehild said:
Yes, two branches are connected in parallel to the same source. The reciprocal of the complex impedances add up. The complex impedance have both magnitude and phase, so it is not sure that two impedances in parallel mean smaller impedance then any of them. For example, an inductor and capacitor in parallel have an equivalent impedance with higher magnitude than that of the inductor or the capacitor. If you are familiar with complex numbers, it will not be difficult!
We have not done complex numbers, but I understand the statement!
Thanks so much for the help!

1. What is an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor?

An alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor is a type of electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L), resistor (R), and capacitor (C) connected in series. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of alternating current.

2. How does an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor work?

An alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor works by storing and releasing electrical energy in the capacitor. As the alternating current flows through the circuit, the capacitor charges and discharges, creating a phase shift in the current.

3. What is the purpose of adding a capacitor to an alternating RLC circuit?

The purpose of adding a capacitor to an alternating RLC circuit is to improve the circuit's power factor, which is the ratio of the real power to the apparent power. By adding a capacitor, the circuit's power factor can be adjusted to be closer to 1, increasing the efficiency of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor?

Some advantages of using an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor include improved power factor, increased efficiency, and better control over the flow of alternating current. This type of circuit is also commonly used in electronic filters and resonance circuits.

5. How do I calculate the resonant frequency of an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor?

The resonant frequency of an alternating RLC circuit with an additional capacitor can be calculated using the formula: f = 1 / (2π√(LC + C * (R + R2)). This formula takes into account the inductance (L), capacitance (C), and resistance (R) of the circuit, as well as the additional resistance (R2) from the capacitor.