Finding Current in Resistors & Charge of Capacitor

In summary: I just calculated the voltage and the charge using that voltage and I got the correct result. Thank you so much for the help!
ananonanunes
Homework Statement
_
Relevant Equations
_
Suppose the switch has been closed for a long time so that the capacitor is fully charged and current is constant.
a)Find the current in each resistor and charge Q of the capacitor.
b)The switch is now opened at t=0s. Write the equation for the current for the resistor of 15kΩ as a function of time and find the time interval needed for the charge to drop to 1/5 of its original value.
1682093015932.png

I was able to find the current in the resistors. I assumed the current would be 0A in the resistor of ##3k\Omega## and since there is no current in this "branch", the other two resistors are in series so ##I_{R_1}=I_{R_2}## and ##R_{eq}=12+15=27k \Omega##. ##I=\frac{\mathcal{E}}{R_{eq}}=333mA##.
I don't know how to find the charge in the capacitor. I thought that, because it was fully charged, ##Q=C\mathcal{E}## but that is not the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
##Q=CV.##
What do you think the voltage across the capacitor is? Hint: There is no current through the 3 kΩ resistor.

kuruman said:
##Q=CV.##
What do you think the voltage across the capacitor is? Hint: There is no current through the 3 kΩ resistor.
Since there is no current through the ##3k\Omega## there is also no voltage across that resitor. So I thought the voltage across the capacitor would be the same as the electromotive force, because the voltage wouldn't need to be "split" between the capacitor and the resistor. But this is incorrect and I don't really understand why.

ananonanunes said:
Since there is no current through the ##3k\Omega## there is also no voltage across that resitor. So I thought the voltage across the capacitor would be the same as the electromotive force, because the voltage wouldn't need to be "split" between the capacitor and the resistor. But this is incorrect and I don't really understand why.
Look at the circuit again. The voltage across the capacitor is the same as the voltage across the 15kΩ resistor. What is that voltage?

Likes ananonanunes
kuruman said:
Look at the circuit again. The voltage across the capacitor is the same as the voltage across the 15kΩ resistor. What is that voltage?
I just calculated the voltage and the charge using that voltage and I got the correct result. Thank you so much for the help!

Likes berkeman and kuruman

1. What is the formula for calculating current in a resistor?

The formula for calculating current in a resistor is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do I determine the charge of a capacitor?

The charge of a capacitor can be determined by the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

3. How does the current in a resistor change as the resistance increases?

The current in a resistor decreases as the resistance increases. This is because the higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for current to flow through the resistor.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a resistor?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between voltage and current in a resistor is directly proportional. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the charge of a capacitor change over time?

The charge of a capacitor changes over time according to the formula Q = Q0(1-e-t/RC), where Q0 is the initial charge, t is time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. As time increases, the charge will approach the maximum value of Q0.