Alternatives to creeping contacts for high frequencies

In summary, this person is asking how to connect a PCB with RF circuits to different circuits to create a tuned response. They mention varicaps as a possible solution. The receiver is just a simple circuit that only cares about 18 MHz.
Thank you Tom,
I need some time to read the documentation and to start with some trials.

Likes Klystron
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
That is going to be... CHALLENGING. I'm sure there are a few RF experts around here with better ideas, but here is a semi-informed first pass.
Tom

Tom, that was a good first pass, I would like to see your second pass! :oldsmile:
_maxim_ said:
Thank you Tom,
I need some time to read the documentation and to start with some trials.

Maxim,

I still am a bit confused on the operating freq. Is it 18 Mhz or 850?
I could break out my EE handbook, ARRL reference book, and other relevant materials and have a go at your project.
Without knowing the prioritized technical specifics such as the optimal Q, the bandpass, input/output Z, power gain, noise limits, architectural requirements such as passive or active components, costs, specific application, environmental requirements etc. it's kinda tough on this old man.

One idea that comes to mind is that if you have access to a nice network analyzer you can kinda' build as you go as long.

Ironically I was on a design team to build a NAMPS system for a foreign military and my job was to design, build 1st articles and then order all parts and supervise the pick and place operations for a "smart 14 input (antennas), 2 output switch for the system operating around the 0.35 meter band.

Bottom line is that I was doing pretty much what you are trying to do (I think) and the HP network analyzer/ plotter pretty much saved the project from cost overruns for obvious reasons.

Anyway, maybe you could beg real hard at a university or a company like Celwave if indeed a network analyzer would help with S11, S12, S21, and S22 plus BP parameters, Z parameters plus VSWR requirements and overall build performance.

If I was still working and someone came to my office w/ a laid out plan of action I would not hesitate to let that someone drive my HP NA w/ 3 color plotter to boot! :)

Best of luck,
Alex

Likes Klystron
Electron Spin said:
Tom, that was a good first pass, I would like to see your second pass! :oldsmile:
Thanks!
As my post indicated, I was trying to get some direction in this thread. Your experience, having actually built a similar device, greatly exceeds mine. The only other idea I come up with is if this is a one-off item, then using/modifying a manual tuner from a very old TV set could save much time... it might even be useful for implementatin approaches.

Looking forward to how this plays out.
Tom