Alternatives to Diethyl Ether to remove pyridine in salt

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard procedure for isolating an organic acid from a pyridine salt using Diethyl ether and HCL, and the desire to use a less flammable alternative. It is mentioned that the acid is composed of C H O and is insoluble in water, but soluble in alcohols and dichloromethane. One suggestion is to extract the pyridine into acidified water before using a less volatile substance such as heptane.
barnabe
Hi,

I make a pyridine salt which contains the pyridine and an organic weak acid. The standard procedure to isolate the acid and remove the pyridine is to dissolve the salt in Diethyl ether with HCL, and let the diethy ether evaporate, which leaves the organic acid crystals with purity 99%.

But i would like to use something else, less flammable than ether to isolate the said acid.
Do you have any idea what could be used?
The acid is composed of C H O and is completely insolube in water. It is mildy soluble in alcohols and quite soluble in dichloromethane.

Thanks for any motivated suggestion.

Regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I codistill pyridine and heptane to remove the last traces but I usually extract pyridine into acidified water first. Only a little less flammable but much less volatile.

Last edited:

1. What are the safety concerns associated with using diethyl ether to remove pyridine in salt?

Diethyl ether is a highly flammable and volatile chemical, making it a safety hazard in the laboratory. It also has a low flash point, which means it can easily ignite at room temperature. Additionally, diethyl ether has been linked to a variety of health risks, including skin and respiratory irritation, and prolonged exposure can lead to dizziness, headaches, and even unconsciousness.

2. Are there any environmentally friendly alternatives to diethyl ether for removing pyridine in salt?

Yes, there are several alternatives that are considered more environmentally friendly than diethyl ether. These include using ethanol or isopropyl alcohol, which are less flammable and have lower toxicity levels. Another option is using a solid phase extraction method using a silica gel column, which does not require the use of any solvents.

3. Can using an alternative solvent affect the purity of the salt?

In most cases, using an alternative solvent should not significantly affect the purity of the salt. However, it is important to carefully select a solvent that is compatible with the salt and will not cause any unwanted chemical reactions. It is also important to properly dry and purify the salt after removing the pyridine to ensure its purity.

4. How do I determine which solvent is the most suitable alternative for my specific experiment?

The choice of solvent will depend on various factors, including the properties of the salt, the solubility of pyridine in different solvents, and the safety and environmental considerations. It is recommended to consult with a mentor or refer to scientific literature to determine the most suitable alternative for your specific experiment.

5. Are there any additional precautions I should take when using an alternative solvent to remove pyridine in salt?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety protocols when handling any chemicals, including alternative solvents. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any waste materials. It is also important to thoroughly research and understand the properties and hazards of the chosen alternative solvent before use.