Alternatives to the Lagrangian?

Feynstein100
I'm just getting started on Lagrangian mechanics and what I can't understand is, how did Lagrange discover the Lagrangian? Did he just randomly decide to see what would happen if we calculate KE - PE or T - V and then discovered that the quantity is actually mathematically and physically significant?
And if so, how do we know that some other combination of T & V isn't also mathematically significant? There are infinite possibilities. T*V, T/V, Tlog(V), T^V and so on. Idk it seems a bit arbitrary and random to me.

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
He didn’t.

IMG_0103.jpeg

I believe Hamilton did later.

Likes Feynstein100 and topsquark
Frabjous said:
He didn’t.

View attachment 331734
I believe Hamilton did later.
Thanks for the correction but that still doesn't answer my question 😅

Feynstein100 said:
Look into Goldstein (2nd ed.), Section 1-4, on D'Alembert's Principle, as the starting point for getting the Lagrangian.

Likes Frabjous, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Feynstein100 said:
It does. He found a relation between T and V. He wasn‘t looking at f(T,V).

Likes topsquark
Frabjous said:
It does. He found a relation between T and V. He wasn‘t looking at f(T,V).
No, I got that. I meant, how do we know that some other f(T,V) isn't significant too?

Lagrangian’s are not unique. You can multiply them by a constant or add terms ##\frac {dF} {dt}## for any function F(q,t). A magnetic field does no work on a particle, yet you can write down a lagrangian for a particle in a magnetic field.

edited

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
Feynstein100 said:
No, I got that. I meant, how do we know that some other f(T,V) isn't significant too?
Are you asking, "L = T - V is important but how do we know that the "Feynsteinian" ( 🥳 ) ##F = T^2 + 4 V^3 \sqrt{E - 4}## isn't just as important?"

The answer is that we don't know. Perhaps there is something else out there that we don't yet know about. But that's for the future. If it's out there, I'm sure that someone will (eventually) come across it at some point in time.

There are, in fact, some generalizations of the Lagrangian: the Routhian, for example, is a sort of melding between Hamilton and Lagrangian mechanics. And the Law of Least Action, which is more general still, is often used in Quantum Mechanics.

And finally, there is the "master equation." This is a (set) of linear equation(s) that model the time evolution of a system. (I've only been introduced to it in my classes, and I've never sat down to study it on my own, so that's pretty much all I can tell you about this one.)

All of these are related to the Lagrangian, but give a version of Mechanics that is slightly more "robust" than Lagrangian Mechanics. The point to note, though, is that Lagrangian Mechanics (and equivalently Hamiltonian Mechanics) is often general enough to solve any problem we run across. And I have yet to see a problem that can't be solved by the Action Principle, even if only by approximation techniques.

Given that, I (personally) think it is unlikely that anyone is looking for alternatives that scrap the Lagrangian and use a completely new principle.

-Dan

Likes Feynstein100 and Vanadium 50
And let's not forget the Kardashian.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Feynstein100, weirdoguy, strangerep and 1 other person
Frabjous said:
Lagrangian’s are not unique. You can multiply them by a constant or add terms ##\frac {dF} {dt}## for any function F. A magnetic field does no work on a particle, yet you can write down a lagrangian for a particle in a magnetic field.
The function must, however, not depend on the ##\dot{q}##! Two Lagrangians ##L## and ##L'## are "equivalent" (i.e., leading to the same equations of motion) if there's a function ##F(q,t)## such that
$$L'=L+\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}} t F(q,t)=L+ \dot{q} \cdot \frac{\partial F}{\partial q} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}.$$
It's easy to see that indeed both Lagrangians lead to the same Euler-Lagrange equations. Start defining the canonical momenta by
$$p'=\frac{\partial L'}{\partial \dot{q}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial q}=p+\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}.$$
Then the Euler-Lagrange equation for ##L'## read (with the Einstein summation convention)
$$\dot{p}_j'=\dot{p}_j + \dot{q}^k \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial q^j \partial q^k} + \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial q^j \partial t}=\frac{\partial L'}{\partial q^j} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q^j} + \dot{q}_k \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial q^j \partial q^k} + \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial q^j \partial t},$$
i.e., the EL equation from ##L'## is just the same as that from ##L##,
$$\dot{p}_j = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q^j}.$$

Likes Frabjous and topsquark
topsquark said:
Are you asking, "L = T - V is important but how do we know that the "Feynsteinian" ( 🥳 ) ##F = T^2 + 4 V^3 \sqrt{E - 4}## isn't just as important?"

The answer is that we don't know. Perhaps there is something else out there that we don't yet know about. But that's for the future. If it's out there, I'm sure that someone will (eventually) come across it at some point in time.

There are, in fact, some generalizations of the Lagrangian: the Routhian, for example, is a sort of melding between Hamilton and Lagrangian mechanics. And the Law of Least Action, which is more general still, is often used in Quantum Mechanics.

And finally, there is the "master equation." This is a (set) of linear equation(s) that model the time evolution of a system. (I've only been introduced to it in my classes, and I've never sat down to study it on my own, so that's pretty much all I can tell you about this one.)

All of these are related to the Lagrangian, but give a version of Mechanics that is slightly more "robust" than Lagrangian Mechanics. The point to note, though, is that Lagrangian Mechanics (and equivalently Hamiltonian Mechanics) is often general enough to solve any problem we run across. And I have yet to see a problem that can't be solved by the Action Principle, even if only by approximation techniques.

Given that, I (personally) think it is unlikely that anyone is looking for alternatives that scrap the Lagrangian and use a completely new principle.

-Dan
So it is actually arbitrary and random 😅 But that's good. Now I can begin my search for the Feynsteinian 😁

Feynstein100 said:
So it is actually arbitrary and random 😅 But that's good. Now I can begin my search for the Feynsteinian 😁
It is neither arbitrary, nor random. There is a well defined logic train that leads to the Lagrangian. But that does not mean that there isn't a different train that leads to something different. But, so far as my admittedly limited knowledge base goes, there is no evidence (yet, perhaps) that would lead us in a different direction.

Feel free to look for the Feynsteinian. It might be a fun journey, and you can always learn something from it. And, hey, it might even be out there.

-Dan

Likes Feynstein100 and vanhees71
topsquark said:
There is a well defined logic train that leads to the Lagrangian
There is? I'd like to learn more 🤔

topsquark said:
how do we know that the "Feynsteinian" ( 🥳 ) isn't just as important?"
Um, because it adds elements of different dimensions?

We know T-V has some utility. We also know T+V has some utility. Is it possible that some other combination has even more utility? Sure (but probably not a linear combination) ... but until someone comes up with one, how will you know for sure?

Likes topsquark
Feynstein100 said:
There is? I'd like to learn more 🤔
See post #4.

-Dan

Likes Frabjous
Vanadium 50 said:
Um, because it adds elements of different dimensions?
Eh......what does that mean?

What is the Lagrangian and why do we need alternatives to it?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. However, there are some systems for which the Lagrangian does not provide an accurate description, and thus we need alternatives to better understand and model these systems.

What are some common alternatives to the Lagrangian?

Some common alternatives to the Lagrangian include the Hamiltonian, the Fokker-Planck equation, and the Boltzmann equation. These alternative approaches offer different perspectives and can be more suitable for certain types of systems.

How do these alternatives differ from the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a function of position and velocity, while the Hamiltonian is a function of position and momentum. Additionally, the Fokker-Planck equation and Boltzmann equation are used to describe systems in statistical mechanics and are based on different principles than the Lagrangian.

When should I use an alternative to the Lagrangian?

If the Lagrangian is not providing an accurate description of a system, or if the system is better understood through a different perspective, then it may be appropriate to use an alternative approach. Additionally, certain systems may be more easily modeled using an alternative to the Lagrangian.

Are there any limitations to using alternatives to the Lagrangian?

While alternatives to the Lagrangian can provide valuable insights and offer more accurate descriptions for certain systems, they also have their own limitations. For example, some alternatives may only be applicable to certain types of systems or may require more complex mathematical calculations.