Am I doing this right? (Physics, Newtons, Diagrams)

In summary: The 17N force is a bit harder and you'll have to use trigonometry to find the component in the right direction. Then adding them together is a matter of simple addition.In summary, the problem involves calculating the net force acting on an object by adding the components of three given forces in the east-west and north-south directions. The first step is to add the 10N and 8N forces together and then use trigonometry to find the component of the 17N force in the correct direction. Finally, the components are added together to find the net force acting on the object.
barroncutter

Homework Statement

diagrams-png.59601.png

This question is just for b)

"Calculate the force acting on the object indicated in the diagram."

Homework Equations

√ F12 + F22 = net force

c2 = a2 + b2 -2ab cos A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I first started by using a technique my friend taught me to find the force when there isn't an angle greater than 90 degrees. So I split the question into two parts. The upper part with the 45 degree angle, and the net force where the larger angle was.

First Net Force

√ F12 + F22 = net force (north, west)

F1 = 8 + 17Ncos45° = 20.02

F2 = 17Ncos45° = 12.02

√ 545.28 = 23.4 N

Second Net Force

Angle between x-axis & 17N: 90° - 45° = 45°

This angle will always give you the angle you need to solve c2C2 = 102 + 172 – 2(10)(17)cos45° = 33.6 N

Now I'm assuming I need to add both of these together? I'm also a little confused on how I'm going to find the angle of them. Because how do I add both net forces and their angles? A little confused by this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
barroncutter said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I first started by using a technique my friend taught me to find the force when there isn't an angle greater than 90 degrees. So I split the question into two parts. The upper part with the 45 degree angle, and the net force where the larger angle was.

First Net Force

F2 = 17Ncos45° = 12.02

√ 545.28 = 23.4 N

Second Net Force

This angle will always give you the angle you need to solve c2C2 = 102 + 172 – 2(10)(17)cos45° = 33.6 N

Now I'm assuming I need to add both of these together? I'm also a little confused on how I'm going to find the angle of them. Because how do I add both net forces and their angles? A little confused by this.

Well, I'm confused by what you're doing. Question b) you have three forces? 17N, 10N and 8N?

PeroK said:
Well, I'm confused by what you're doing. Question b) you have three forces? 17N, 10N and 8N?

Yes. The question was "Calculate the force acting on the object indicated in the diagram.". To be honest, I'm a little confused because of that third force (17N).

barroncutter said:
Yes. The question was "Calculate the force acting on the object indicated in the diagram.". To be honest, I'm a little confused because of that third force (17N).

And what's your answer?

PeroK said:
And what's your answer?

So I tried to split the answer in two. Using 17N and 8N to find the net force between these two, then in the second part of the equation I'm trying to find the force between 17N and 10N. Hence why I did this:

17N & 8N Net Force:

F2 = 17Ncos45° = 12.02

√ 545.28 = 23.4 N

17N & 10N Net Force:

If your answer is 33.6N, then you must see that is impossible. The maximum it could possibly be is 35N and that's if all the forces were in a straight line. And, in this case the 8N and 10N forces are in opposite directions and must largely cancel each other out.

I don't understand at all how you are trying to get an answer. I can't advise you on how to fix things, because it makes no sense to me.

Alternatively, any force is completely determined by its components in each direction. So, a simpler and more reliable approach is to calculate the overall components in the two directions: EW and NS.

You may want to try doing the problem that way.

PS another approach is to draw a vector diagram. That is good for getting a quick view of the force, but you'll still need to do the calculations.

PPS: Okay, I see, your counting the 17N force twice!

PeroK said:
If your answer is 33.6N, then you must see that is impossible. The maximum it could possibly be is 35N and that's if all the forces were in a straight line. And, in this case the 8N and 10N forces are in opposite directions and must largely cancel each other out.

I don't understand at all how you are trying to get an answer. I can't advise you on how to fix things, because it makes no sense to me.

Alternatively, any force is completely determined by its components in each direction. So, a simpler and more reliable approach is to calculate the overall components in the two directions: EW and NS.

You may want to try doing the problem that way.

PS another approach is to draw a vector diagram. That is good for getting a quick view of the force, but you'll still need to do the calculations.

Alright, thank you for your answer. Do you mind showing me how to do it this way?

You have three forces. Each has an EW component and a NS component. Two of the forces are very simple as they are in the NS direction. I can see that you do know how to calculate the components of a vector using ##cos## and ##sin##. You need to apply that to the third force to get its components.

Then you add the components together. This is an example of vector addition, if you know what that is.

You also need a ##\pm## convention. The normal one is that right is +ve, left is -ve (in the EW direction); and, up is +ve and down -ve (in the NS direction).

The most obvious first step is to add the 10N and 8N forces together. Then you only have two forces to deal with.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I know if I am applying Newton's laws correctly?

In order to apply Newton's laws correctly, you must first identify all the forces acting upon the object and determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, you can use Newton's second law to calculate the acceleration of the object. Finally, you can use Newton's first law to determine the motion of the object based on its acceleration and initial velocity.

3. Can I use diagrams to solve problems involving Newton's laws?

Yes, diagrams can be very helpful in visualizing the forces acting upon an object and their directions. Free-body diagrams, in particular, can help you identify and analyze all the forces acting on an object. It is important to label all the forces correctly and use arrows to indicate the direction of each force.

4. How do I know if I am using the correct units when applying Newton's laws?

When using Newton's laws, it is important to use consistent units for all quantities involved. The standard unit of force is the Newton (N), and the standard unit of mass is the kilogram (kg). Make sure to convert all other units to these standard units before performing calculations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when applying Newton's laws?

One common mistake when applying Newton's laws is forgetting to consider all the forces acting on an object. It is important to identify and account for all the forces, including weight, normal force, friction, and any other external forces. Another mistake is using incorrect units or not converting units to the standard units. Additionally, make sure to use the correct formula for each law and double-check your calculations for accuracy.