Calculate the net force acting on the object in the diagram

In summary: The components of the 17 N force are (-12, 12). So the sum of the x components is 0 - 12 = -12, and the sum of the y components is 8 + (-10) + 12 = 10. The net force is then -12 i + 10 j. In summary, the net force in Diagram B is -12 i + 10 j.
roguekiller93

Homework Statement

Calculate the net force in Diagram B.

Homework Equations

Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

c^2 = (2N)^2 + (17)^2 -2(2)(17)*cos(45)
= 16 N
sin b/ 17N = sin45/16N
= 49 degrees

Fnet = 16 N (W 49 degrees N)

I am really confused with this unit. I don't know if I did it right, but I would appreciate feedback on where and how i went wrong.[/B]
diagrams-png.59601.png

Physics news on Phys.org
roguekiller93 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the net force in Diagram B.

Homework Equations

Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

c^2 = (2N)^2 + (17)^2 -2(2)(17)*cos(45)
= 16 N
sin b/ 17N = sin45/16N
= 49 degrees

Fnet = 16 N (W 49 degrees N)

I am really confused with this unit. I don't know if I did it right, but I would appreciate feedback on where and how i went wrong.[/B]
diagrams-png.59601.png
A simpler way to find the net force of two or more vectors is to decompose each vector into its x and y components. Once that is done, the individual x and y components are added together algebraically, and the sum of these components gives you the component of the net force, or the resultant.

In b) above, the 8 N force has components of (0, 8) while the 10 N force has components (0, -10). The 17.0 N force can be converted to its components by completing the 45° triangle shown. Remember, a horizontal component pointing East is positive.

1. How do I calculate the net force?

To calculate the net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object. This can be done by using vector addition, where you consider the magnitude and direction of each force.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net force?

The unit of measurement for net force is Newtons (N). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and represents the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram by 1 meter per second squared.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces are the separate, distinct forces acting on an object, while net force is the overall or total force acting on the object. Net force takes into account the direction and magnitude of all the individual forces to determine the resulting force on the object.

4. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. A negative net force indicates that the overall force acting on the object is in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is usually defined as the direction of motion or the direction of a positive axis.

5. How does mass affect net force?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the net force acting on it. However, the net force can be used to calculate the acceleration of the object, and according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that a larger mass will require a larger net force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.