Am I setting myself up for failure with this schedule?

In summary, this freshman/sophmore is trying to double major in physics and math, but is behind in taking pre-med biology classes. He has to finish these classes in order to take upper-division physics courses. He has taken math and science classes, but is struggling with a difficult differential equations class. If he drops class #5, he will have taken 18 units of classes, including 3 science classes and 1 general education class.
Loststudent22
I'm trying to double major but I fell behind taking pre med bio classes so I may need to overload this next semester

Freshman/sophmore level physics classes
1. This course covers the topics of: electromagnetic waves, optics, and modern physics, condensed matter and nuclear physics.
2. The topics covered in this course include: Mechanical waves, Thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism.
^ these have to be done and I have heard 2. is a difficult weeder class

Math classes
3. Introduction to the language and problems of mathematics. Topics include set theory, symbolic logic, types of proofs, and mathematical induction. Special emphasis is given to improving the student's ability to construct, explain, and justify mathematical arguments.

Have to finish this one also to take upper division math courses

4. Vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear functions, inner-product spaces, bilinear forms, quadratic forms, orthogonal and unitary transformations, selected applications.
5. Classical methods for solving partial differential equations including separation of variables, Green's functions, the Riemann-Volterra method and Cauchy's problem for elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations; applications to theoretical physics.

^These two are classes that I feel will help me with upper division physics classes

Total units 18(I may have to squeeze in an online ge class for total 21 units)

The most I have done before is 18 units with 3 science classes(two bio and organic chem) and a general education class. These will all be hard classes for me and I'm curious if these types of loads are normal if you double major. I have read online people doing harder schedules with work and research and I will only be working about 10 hours on campus no research.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I, personally, wouldn't take #5 without have taken the linear algebra class outlined in #4. It seems like #5 is a PDE course or a math methods course which having the practice from course #4 would help. Taking 1, 2, 3, 4 and the online class would be a very, very difficult schedule especially since #3 looks like a typical intro to proofs class, and proofs aren't easy to do when first starting out.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take out class #5 and wait a semester to take it. Good luck!

Likes Loststudent22
What math and physics courses have you taken so far?

gleem said:
What math and physics courses have you taken so far?

Freshman/sophmore level mechanics course for physics and up to differential equations for math(I did well in all these classes). I was unable to take physics several semesters due to chem bio classes taking up so much time. I am going to drop the partial differential equations class as mentioned. That will put me at 15 units of tough classes which is more then I like but I do greatly enjoy the subjects. Thanks for the advice.

1. What factors should I consider when creating a schedule to avoid setting myself up for failure?

When creating a schedule, it is important to consider your personal strengths and weaknesses, your workload, and any external factors that may impact your ability to stick to the schedule. It is also important to set realistic and achievable goals for each task or activity.

2. How can I ensure that my schedule is balanced and not overwhelming?

One way to ensure balance in your schedule is to make sure you have a mix of different types of tasks and activities, such as work, exercise, socializing, and self-care. It is also important to prioritize tasks and not overload yourself with too many tasks in one day.

3. Is it better to have a strict schedule or a more flexible one?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and work style. Some people thrive with a strict and structured schedule, while others prefer a more flexible approach. It is important to find what works best for you and allows you to be productive without feeling overly constrained.

4. How often should I review and adjust my schedule?

It is important to regularly review and adjust your schedule to ensure it is still meeting your needs and goals. This could be on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on your schedule and workload. It is also important to be open to making changes as needed.

5. What should I do if I consistently struggle to stick to my schedule?

If you find yourself struggling to stick to your schedule, it may be helpful to identify the underlying reasons for this. Are your goals too ambitious? Are there external factors that are causing disruptions? It may also be helpful to seek support from a mentor, coach, or therapist to develop strategies for improving your time management skills.