Good Software to download and familiarize myself with

In summary, a junior Physics major is interested in pursuing a career in Renewable Energy Engineering and is looking for recommendations on software, computer languages, and math courses to learn before entering the workforce. They have experience in Java, Python, C++, and Mathematica, and have taken courses in Calculus, Ordinary Differential Equations, Math Methods in a Physical Science, and Discrete Math 1. They are particularly interested in designing software and machines for renewable energy devices, and are aware of the use of PLC's in industrial automation. They are advised to research potential companies and their job listings to determine specific requirements, as well as consider learning 3-D Mechanical CAD systems, FEA software, Matlab, documentation and presentation software, and LabView or
ParticleGinger6
Hey Everyone,

I am a junior Physics major who would like to pursue a career in Renewable Energy Engineering. I am interested in the part of the development in which I would be designing the software, machine and every other component that goes along with the actual device (whether it be for solar panels, wind turbines, water turbines, etc...). I am posting as my college does not offer many engineering classes that are outside of robotics or what is needed to study Material Science. Because of this I may not be aware of some software's I could be using to help me further my own individual research/studies on the topic.

As for relative studies in the topic, I have learned a few computer languages (java, python, c++, mathematica) if there is any other language that is used quite frequently in the field, I would love to know now so I can teach myself or possible see if my university offers a class in the language. For math classes I have taken, all 3 calc classes, Ordinary Differential Equations, Math Methods in a Physical Science, and Discrete math 1. If I should study any other math courses I would like to know in order to fit them in before I graduate.

I am sorry if this is not clear, so I will reiterate my main points. Is there any software used in the development of the machines that I can familiarize myself with, or if there are any computer languages I should learn before entering the workforce, or any math classes I should study before I graduate.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the parts of industrial automation I am aware of, PLC's are used pretty much everywhere for control and monitoring of machinery and would expect that also to be the case in for automation in the renewable energy sector. Relevant (software) technology regarding PLC's could be programming them and/or interfacing with them for more advanced control and monitoring.

Even if you stick with software only (as I understand is your aim), there are plenty of theory and technologies in automation that a control engineer has to know about that would also be relevant for a software engineer. For general theoretical background knowledge I would certainly recommend that you at least consider adding control theory as a tool in your tool chest.

ParticleGinger6 said:
I am a junior Physics major who would like to pursue a career in Renewable Energy Engineering. I am interested in the part of the development in which I would be designing the software, machine and every other component that goes along with the actual device (whether it be for solar panels, wind turbines, water turbines, etc...).
Do you have a list of potential companies that you would like to work for? Or at least the names of some typical companies that do that sort of work?

If so, go to their websites and look in their "Employment" sections. They will likely have some job listings that will include the requirements for the jobs, like "experience with..." and "knowledge of...". That will start to give you a list of things that you should be studying and starting to work with.

I can guess at a few of them, but you would need to do some research to see what free versions or inexpensive student versions are available:
  • 3-D Mechanical CAD systems, especially with the ability to export CNC and 3-D printer files
  • FEA software, so you can simulate some of the structures that you are designing, especially those that may involve life safety
  • You mention Mathematica, but it's more likely that you would use Matlab to import data acquired from field sensors and do analysis on that data, IMO. I don't know if there is a student version available, though
  • Be sure to have good skills in using documentation and presentation software packages, like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., and it may be good to become comfortable with LaTeX math typesetting (see the PF Tutorial on LaTeX under INFO, Help at the top of the page)
  • And to add to the comments by @Filip Larsen about industrial automation, check out National Instruments' website and their software packages for helping to put together such systems. Again, I don't know if they have any student versions available for LabView or Measurement Studio, but you may well be needing to integrate instruments and machines from multiple manufacturers in your future work, and it's good to see what kind of things you can do with NI's software and drivers for those instruments

ParticleGinger6 said:
If I should study any other math courses I would like to know in order to fit them in before I graduate.
I would think that Linear Algebra would be a good choice, since matrices are important in many practical mathematical calculations that you may encounter in your field.

EDIT/ADD -- Maybe also look into what-all is required for you to earn your Professional Engineer certification in your area. That may be a big selling point for you as you go through your career. It involves some work experience, I think, so it is something that you work toward as you start your career.

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/

Have fun! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Timo and Dr. Courtney
Thank you @berkeman for your very thorough response and very helpful. I am looking into companies such as GE and Global Foundries as the main ones, however, I am also looking into smaller companies. I should have added that I do know MatLab as well (I have Octave downloaded because it was free).

Likes Dr. Courtney and berkeman
Berkeman has given very good advice.

Likes berkeman

1. What are the key features to look for in good software?

When looking for good software to download and familiarize yourself with, it's important to consider the key features that will make your experience more efficient and enjoyable. Some key features to look for include user-friendly interface, compatibility with your operating system, regular updates and bug fixes, good customer support, and a variety of useful tools and features.

2. How do I know if a software is safe to download?

Safety should always be a top priority when downloading software. To ensure a software is safe to download, make sure to download from a reputable source, read reviews and ratings from other users, and check for any security certifications. It's also important to have a reliable antivirus software installed on your device.

3. What are some popular software programs that I should familiarize myself with?

There are many popular software programs that are essential for various industries and tasks. Some examples include Microsoft Office for productivity, Adobe Creative Suite for design and media, and programming languages like Java and Python for software development. It's important to research and familiarize yourself with the software programs that are most relevant to your field or interests.

4. How can I effectively familiarize myself with new software?

Familiarizing yourself with new software can be intimidating, but there are some effective strategies you can use. First, read through the software's user guide or watch tutorials to understand its features and functions. Next, practice using the software with sample projects or exercises. Finally, don't be afraid to explore and experiment with the software to learn more about its capabilities.

5. Is it necessary to constantly update my software?

It's highly recommended to regularly update your software to ensure it is running smoothly and securely. Updates often include bug fixes, new features, and improved performance. Some software programs may also become outdated and incompatible with newer operating systems if not regularly updated. It's important to stay up-to-date with software updates to get the most out of your programs.