Am I understanding "supremum" correctly

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, the conversation is discussing the definition of supremum and how it relates to a given expression. The participant is asking for clarification on whether the supremum for the case of x ≤ y would be x = y or x = ∞. The conversation also touches on the concept of extended reals and how they affect the value of supremum. The participant also mentions another thread they had previously started on the topic of infinite matrix norms.
pyroknife
If let's say I have an expression:
##x\leq y##

Since the supremum is defined as the "least upper bound," does this make sup(x) for this case ##x=y## or is it ##x = \infty##?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
If let's say I have an expression:
##x\leq y##

Since the supremum is defined as the "least upper bound," does this make sup(x) for this case ##x=y## or is it ##x = \infty##?
The least upper bound of what? x or y? If both are free variables then it is rather useless. A "least upper bound" is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to every number in a set. In most of the interesting cases the set is infinite.

Hornbein said:
The least upper bound of what? x or y? If both are free variables then it is rather useless. A "least upper bound" is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to every number in a set. In most of the interesting cases the set is infinite.
In this case I am asking for the supremum of x, sup(x), which would be the least upper bound of x. Would it be x = y?

Hornbein said:
Maybe fixed after you commented, but OP reads sup(x). Then, sup(x)=y is correct for the set of x ≤ y, assuming y is a given value. Of course, this is a totally trivial case.

pyroknife said:
In this case I am asking for the supremum of x, sup(x), which would be the least upper bound of x. Would it be x = y?
You wouldn't say x=y, you would say sup(x)=y, for the specified set.

Likes pyroknife
PAllen said:
Maybe fixed after you commented, but OP reads sup(x). Then, sup(x)=y is correct for the set of x ≤ y, assuming y is a given value. Of course, this is a totally trivial case.
Thanks. If instead we want sup(y), would that be infinity?

I am asking this question as a follow up of another thread I made right below this one regarding norms and supremums.

PAllen said:
You wouldn't say x=y, you would say sup(x)=y, for the specified set.
ah yes, thanks

pyroknife said:

I am asking this question as a follow up of another thread I made right below this one regarding norms and supremums.
But as you wrote it, it seems y is just one number, and not a set, so, trivially, sup{y}=y (on most "reasonable" choices of orderings , where ## a \leq a ##)

pyroknife said:

That depends on how you define the set against which x≤y is defined. That is, given x, and the set of y such that x ≤ y of real numbers, then sup(y) does not exist. If, instead, you use the set of extended reals that includes +/- ∞ as wellas the conventional reals, then, indeed, sup(y)=∞.

PAllen said:
That depends on how you define the set against which x≤y is defined. That is, given x, and the set of y such that x ≤ y of real numbers, then sup(y) does not exist. If, instead, you use the set of extended reals that includes +/- ∞ as wellas the conventional reals, then, indeed, sup(y)=∞.
WWGD said:
But as you wrote it, it seems y is just one number, and not a set, so, trivially, sup{y}=y (on most "reasonable" choices of orderings , where ## a \leq a ##)

I see. This was not a very good hypothetical example. This is a question in direct relation with another thread of mine, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-this-proof-valid-of-an-infty-norm-valid.854189/
where I am considering the infinite matrix norm, who's definition involves a supremum over a set of numbers.

Related to Am I understanding "supremum" correctly

1. What is the definition of "supremum"?

The supremum of a set is the least upper bound, or the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set.

2. How is "supremum" different from "maximum"?

The supremum is the least upper bound, while the maximum is the largest number in a set. The supremum may or may not be an element of the set, while the maximum must be an element of the set.

3. Can a set have more than one supremum?

No, a set can only have one supremum. If there are multiple numbers that are greater than or equal to all the elements in the set, then the greatest of those numbers is the supremum.

4. How is "supremum" used in real life?

Supremum is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to define the upper limit of a set or a function. It is also used in economics to represent the optimal solution to a problem.

5. What is the relationship between "supremum" and "infimum"?

The infimum of a set is the greatest lower bound, or the largest number that is less than or equal to all the elements in the set. The supremum and infimum are related in that the supremum of a set is equal to the infimum of the set's complement, and vice versa.