Homework Statement
proof that b is the supremum of supA
proof that b is the Infimum of infA
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I have problems with the proof for task a

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-25 um 11.56.37.png

I started with the supremum first, but the proof for the infimum would go the same way. I used an epsilon neighborhood for the proof

I then argued as follows that for ##b- \epsilon## the following holds ##b- \epsilon < b## and ##b- \epsilon \in A## for ##b+ \epsilon## then ##b+ \epsilon > b## and thereby ##b+ \epsilon \notin A## holds.

By the fact that I can make the epsilon arbitrarily small and thereby the above properties still hold, b must be the smallest upper bound of A.

Would this be sufficient as a proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
I then argued as follows that for ##b- \epsilon## the following holds ##b- \epsilon < b## and ##b- \epsilon \in A## for ##b+ \epsilon## then ##b+ \epsilon > b## and thereby ##b+ \epsilon \notin A## holds.
Break this up into several sentences that are more clear and carefully stated. You say that ##b - \epsilon## is in ##A## and not in ##A##. That can not be true.

Likes Lambda96
It seems you must have been given a definition of the sup, inf , in order to do the proof.

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96 and FactChecker
Thanks for your help FactChecker and WWGD, in the script from my professor it says the following.

##\textbf{supremum}##
An element ##c \in F## is called least upper bound or supremum of A, denoted by ##\text{sup}##A, if the following properties are satisfied.

i) ##a \le c## for all ##a \in A##.
ii) If b is an upper bound of A, then ##c \le b## follows.##\textbf{infimum}##
An element ##c \in F## is called greatest lower bound or infimum of A, denoted by ##\text{inf}##A, if the following properties are satisfied:

i)##a \ge c## for all ##a \in A##.
ii)If b is a lower bound of A, then ##c \ge b## follows.

Likes WWGD

1. What is the infimum and supremum of a set?

The infimum of a set is the greatest lower bound of the set, while the supremum is the least upper bound of the set. In other words, the infimum is the smallest element that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set, and the supremum is the largest element that is less than or equal to all elements in the set.

2. How do you prove the infimum and supremum of a set?

To prove the infimum and supremum of a set, you need to show that the infimum is indeed the greatest lower bound and the supremum is the least upper bound of the set. This can be done using mathematical definitions, properties of real numbers, and logical reasoning.

3. Why is it important to find the infimum and supremum of a set?

Finding the infimum and supremum of a set is important in mathematical analysis as it helps in determining the bounds of a set and understanding its properties. It also plays a crucial role in proving the existence of limits, convergence, and continuity in mathematical functions.

4. Can the infimum and supremum of a set be equal to any element in the set?

Yes, the infimum and supremum of a set can be equal to an element in the set. In such cases, the element itself becomes the infimum or supremum of the set. This typically happens when the set is finite or has a minimum or maximum element.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for proving the infimum and supremum of a set?

While proving the infimum and supremum of a set requires careful analysis and logical reasoning, there are certain techniques and strategies that can make the process easier. These include using properties of real numbers, understanding the structure of the set, and breaking down the proof into smaller steps.