Am I using quotient spaces correctly in this linear algebra proof?

In summary, the proof for showing that ##X=Y## using bases relies on the fact that every short exact sequence in the category of vector spaces splits. This means that there is a monomorphism that maps the basis of ##X/Y## to a basis of ##X##, allowing us to show that the two spaces have the same dimension and are therefore equal.
Eclair_de_XII
Homework Statement
Let ##X## be a vector space and ##Y## a subspace with ##\dim Y = \dim X##. Prove that ##Y=X##.
Relevant Equations
Quotient space of X mod Y:

##X/Y=\{x_1,x_2\in X:\,x_1-x_2\in Y\}##

Equivalence class of x w.r.t. quotient space:

##\{x\}_Y=\{x_0\in X:\,x_0-x\in Y\}\subset X/Y##

Theorem:

##\dim Y + \dim {X/Y} = \dim X##
%%%

Assume that ##X/Y## is defined. Since ##\dim Y = \dim X##, it follows that ##\dim {X/Y}=0## and that ##X/Y=\{0\}##.

Suppose that ##Y## is a proper subspace of ##X##. Then there is an ##x\in X## such that ##x\notin Y##.

Let us consider the equivalence class:

##\{x\}_Y=\{x_0\in X:\,x_0-x\in Y\}##

This is a subset of ##X/Y=\{0\}##, which means that because ##\{x\}_Y## is a vector space, ##\{0\}\subset \{x\}_Y##. Hence, ##\{x\}_Y=\{0\}##.

This implies that ##0-x\in Y## and that ##x\in Y##, since ##Y## is closed under scalar multiplication. This contradicts the fact that ##x\notin Y##.

Hence, there cannot be an ##x\in X## that is not in ##Y##. Thus, ##X=Y##.

%%%

I am a bit worried about the existence of ##X/Y##. Is it defined for every vector space? I am also worried that I am misinterpreting the meaning of quotient spaces and equivalence classes.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit complicated but correct. You have a subspace ##Y\subseteq X##. Then you can choose a basis ##\{x_1,\ldots,x_m,x_{m+1},\ldots,x_n\}## where ##m=\dim Y## and ##n=\dim X##. With ##m=n## you get ##X=Y##. But of course, this is proven along the lines of quotient spaces. As often, the essential point is: what are you allowed to use?
Eclair_de_XII said:
I am a bit worried about the existence of ##X/Y.## Is it defined for every vector space?
For every vector space ##X## and every subspace ##Y##. It only requires that ##Y## is a linear space.
I am also worried that I am misinterpreting the meaning of quotient spaces and equivalence classes.
No. You were right. As mentioned above: the easy way with bases is proven by the fact - and now comes the real reason why your proof works: every short exact sequence ##Y\rightarrowtail X \twoheadrightarrow X/Y## in the category of vector spaces splits, i.e. there is a monomorphism ##X/Y \rightarrowtail X## such that the composition of these homomorphisms is the identity on ##X/Y##.

This is not true in the category of groups, but it is for vector spaces. It simply means that ##x_{m+1}+Y,\ldots,x_n+Y## is a basis of ##X/Y## with the basis as described above.

fresh_42 said:
As often, the essential point is: what are you allowed to use?

Everything before page twenty-five of Linear Algebra and its Applications by Peter Lax. And this includes that theorem I cited. And I did learn about linear independence, span, bases, sums of vector spaces, theorems pertaining to those sums, quotient spaces, and equivalence classes that partition those spaces. Oh, and that theorem I cited.

fresh_42 said:
As mentioned above: the easy way with bases is proven by the fact

Does that proof go something like:

%%%

Let ##S_X=x_1,...,x_n## be a basis for ##X## and ##S_Y=y_1,..,y_n## be a basis for ##Y##.

Suppose ##S_Y## does not span ##X##. Then there is ##x_i## that cannot be written as a linear combination of the vectors in ##S_Y##.

Hence, the sequence ##x_i,y_1,...,y_n## is linearly independent.

Suppose it spans ##X##. Then it is a basis of ##X## of length ##n+1##. This contradicts the fact that every basis of ##X## must have exactly ##n## elements.

If it does not, continue checking the vectors of ##S_X## until we have a basis for ##X## of length at least ##n+2## and at most ##2n>n##.

Either way, this is a contradiction. ##S_Y## must span ##X## as a result.

%%%

1. What is a quotient space in linear algebra?

A quotient space in linear algebra is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a vector space by a subspace. It is used to create a new vector space that captures the essential properties of the original space, while also removing any redundant or unimportant elements.

2. How do I know if I am using quotient spaces correctly in a proof?

To ensure that you are using quotient spaces correctly in a proof, you should first understand the definition and properties of quotient spaces. Then, carefully follow the steps and reasoning in your proof to make sure that you are correctly applying the concept of quotient spaces.

3. Can I use quotient spaces in any linear algebra proof?

Yes, quotient spaces can be used in various linear algebra proofs, as they provide a useful tool for simplifying and understanding vector spaces. However, it is important to make sure that quotient spaces are relevant and necessary for the specific proof you are working on.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using quotient spaces in a proof?

One common mistake when using quotient spaces in a proof is forgetting to properly define the subspace that is being divided. It is also important to ensure that the elements in the quotient space are well-defined and unique, as this can affect the validity of the proof.

5. How can I improve my understanding of quotient spaces in linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of quotient spaces in linear algebra, it is helpful to practice working with them in various proofs and examples. You can also read textbooks or seek guidance from a mentor or tutor to gain a deeper understanding of the concept and its applications.