AMA - Navigating a Career in Physics: Insights from a BS/PhD/post-doc Scientist

• Thread starter VoyagerGoldenRecord
  • Start date
In summary, navigating a career in physics requires a combination of hard work, perseverance, and networking. Insights from a BS/PhD/post-doc scientist include the importance of building a strong foundation in physics through undergraduate studies, actively seeking out research opportunities, and developing strong communication and presentation skills. Additionally, networking with other scientists and attending conferences can open up opportunities for collaborations and future job prospects. Balancing work and personal life is also crucial for a successful career in physics. Ultimately, it is important to continuously learn and adapt in order to thrive in this constantly evolving field.
VoyagerGoldenRecord
Background: Physics BS/PhD/post-doc, Semiconductor/Optics/Communications Scientist/Engineer, worked at Large/Mid/Small telecom companies & Facebook, and in 3 countries (Canada, Germany, USA)

For young scientists, this is a tough time, having your studies and career prospects disrupted, locked at home isolated. AMA.

Early in my career/education I struggled with all the same questions on this forum: should I study physics? what field? academic career or industry? should I get a PhD; where? should I do a post-doc; where? how do I get an internship? how to get a job in a specific field? how to find a field that actually has jobs? how do I change fields/jobs? what kind of company should I work for? how to move beyond the first, junior job? how to advance my career? what happens when the economy goes down the toilet; job insecurity, layoffs? should I move, emigrate, immigrate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. Great to have you here. :smile:

BTW, which meaning of AMA are you using? "Against Medical Advice"? Just curious...

berkeman said:
BTW, which meaning of AMA are you using? "Against Medical Advice"? Just curious...
I think it means "Ask me anything," and he wants to share his experience :oldbiggrin: