Amazing shot of a meteor over Loch Ness

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, the conversation discusses a photograph of Orion and Sirius, with one person questioning the authenticity due to a column of light in the center that appears photoshopped. However, the other person defends the photo, citing the brightness of the stars and the accurate reflection of colors in the water. The conversation ends with one person stating that it looks legitimate.
This is a pretty amazing shot!

CALBA1JWgAAQIa2.jpg

Likes Andy Resnick, Drakkith, davenn and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Absolutely breathtaking!

B.A.

Beautiful shot of Orion and Sirius too!

Garth

The column of light down the center smacks of photoshop. I question its authenticity.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
The column of light down the center smacks of photoshop. I question its authenticity.
I don't know but it's gotten massive attention. Haven't heard any doubters yet.

The brightness of the stars speaks of a very fast stop/CCD camera and that would explain the column of light.
Also the varied colours of the meteor flash are accurately reflected in the water. If it is photoshop then they have done it well.

Garth

looks legit to me :)

1. What caused the meteor to appear over Loch Ness?

The meteor was caused by a small piece of space debris entering the Earth's atmosphere and burning up due to friction with the air. This phenomenon is commonly known as a shooting star.

2. How rare is it to capture a meteor over Loch Ness?

Capturing a meteor over Loch Ness is relatively rare, as it requires a combination of factors such as clear skies, the right location, and luck. However, it is not impossible and has been captured on camera before.

3. What is the significance of this meteor over Loch Ness?

The meteor over Loch Ness is a natural occurrence and has no significant scientific or cultural significance. It is simply a beautiful and rare sight to witness.

4. Is the meteor related to the Loch Ness Monster?

No, the meteor is not related to the Loch Ness Monster in any way. The Loch Ness Monster is a mythical creature that has not been proven to exist, while the meteor is a real and scientific phenomenon.

5. Can this meteor impact life on Earth?

No, this meteor over Loch Ness was likely small and burned up completely in the atmosphere. It did not have the size or trajectory to cause any significant impact on life on Earth.