Ammeter Connections for Battery Current Measurement

• Thread starter HeLLz aNgeL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammeter
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct use of an ammeter to measure current through a battery in different diagrams. The correct diagrams for accurate measurement are identified as A and D. The conversation also touches on the effects of an ideal voltmeter and its readings when measuring potential between two points.
HeLLz aNgeL

Homework Statement

In which diagram(s) (labeled A - D) does the ammeter correctly measure the current through the battery?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ammeters measure the current in series, and that the voltmeter won't have any effect on its reading, but I'm confused about the digram A

I would say that its image A and D, but I'm not sure how A would work

any help would be appreciated guys !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone ?

Attachments take a while to be approved, upload it on imageshack and then upload the link here

ok assuming that the voltmeter and ammeter are ideal. The voltmeter will have infinite resistance. What does that mean for a current passing through the voltmeter?

ahhh, it'll go down to zero ...thanks !

one more thing, when will the voltmeter read zero ?

i'm thinking since it measures potential between two points it will be zero wherever there is a clear path between the two points: "D" ... sounds right ?

Related to Ammeter Connections for Battery Current Measurement

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a type of instrument used to measure the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit, allowing the current to pass through the instrument and be measured.

2. Why is it important to make proper ammeter connections?

Making proper ammeter connections ensures accurate measurement of current and prevents damage to the ammeter or the circuit. Improper connections can lead to inaccurate readings or even cause the ammeter to malfunction.

3. What is the correct way to connect an ammeter in a circuit?

The ammeter should be connected in series with the circuit, meaning it is placed in the path of the current flow. It should be connected in such a way that all of the current passes through the ammeter.

4. Can an ammeter be connected in parallel with a circuit?

No, an ammeter should never be connected in parallel with a circuit. This will cause the ammeter to short circuit and could potentially damage the circuit or the ammeter.

5. How can I ensure that my ammeter connections are correct?

Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper ammeter connections. Additionally, make sure to turn off the power source and double check your connections before taking any measurements. If you are unsure, consult a trained professional for assistance.