Which circuit shows the correct connection and values?

In summary, Circuit D is the correct choice because it has the correct connections and a correct current flow.
jaximus

Homework Statement

Question:
For the circuits shown in Fig. 6, voltage meters and ampere meters are used to measure
the voltage across the load and their current flow. If the Red Probe is plugged into the “+”
terminal of the voltage meter and ampere meter, which circuit(s) show both the correct
connections and measurement values? State all correct answers.
Screenshot_7.png

Homework Equations

I= V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out that circuit D is correct.
Circuit F is wrong due to incorrect method of connecting the voltmeter and ammeter.
Circuit A and E has wrong polarities in one of their values.
Now Circuits B and D are tricky for me. Circuit B's voltmeter has a reading which is only 0.1 V lower than the EMF. Is this still considered correct?
As for Circuit D, The value of current I got through calculation was -0.91 A. Ammeter, however, shows a reading of -1 A. I am confused on whether or not this -1 A value is a rounded off answer. Can somebody please guide me on these 2 circuits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Circuit F is wrong due to incorrect method of connecting the voltmeter and ammeter.
correct
Circuit A and E has wrong polarities in one of their values.
That's not the only thing wrong with E, but yes they are both wrong
Now Circuits B and D are tricky for me. Circuit B's voltmeter has a reading which is only 0.1 V lower than the EMF. Is this still considered correct?
No, why would it be? These are obviously intended as ideal circuits so what you see is what you get.
As for Circuit D, The value of current I got through calculation was -0.91 A. Ammeter, however, shows a reading of -1 A. I am confused on whether or not this -1 A value is a rounded off answer. Can somebody please guide me on these 2 circuits.
It appears that you are talking here about E, not D.

How about C?

jaximus said:
As for Circuit D, The value of current I got through calculation was -0.91 A
If current is -0.91A then a meter reading of -1A could not be considered acceptable. I'd say.

NascentOxygen said:
Calculate again what current flows in the last circuit, F.
Check out how the meters are hooked up (ignore the numbers)

Likes NascentOxygen
phinds said:
correct
That's not the only thing wrong with E, but yes they are both wrong
No, why would it be? These are obviously intended as ideal circuits so what you see is what you get.
It appears that you are talking here about E, not D.

How about C?
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah I was talking about E for the -0.91 A one, my bad.
C is wrong because the voltmeter's connections are reversed. it should show a negative value.

1. What is the purpose of a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It is used to power electronic devices and transfer information through electrical signals.

2. Why is it important for a circuit to have the correct connection?

A circuit needs to have the correct connection in order for the electricity to flow properly and power the desired device. Incorrect connections can lead to malfunctions or even damage to the device.

3. What does the term "values" refer to in a circuit?

In a circuit, "values" typically refer to the resistance, voltage, and current of the components within the circuit. These values determine how the circuit will function and how much power will be used.

4. How can I determine which circuit shows the correct connection and values?

To determine which circuit is correct, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance, voltage, and current at each point in the circuit. Compare these measurements to the expected values for the components to determine if the circuit is correct.

5. What are some consequences of using an incorrect circuit connection?

Using an incorrect circuit connection can lead to malfunctions or damage to the device, as well as potential safety hazards. It can also result in inefficient use of electricity and potentially cause the circuit to overheat.