Ammonia in icy moons of gas giants

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of ammonia under the ice of gas giant moons and its potential implications for extraterrestrial life. The speaker points out that while ammonia is toxic in high concentrations, it is also essential for life and can be tolerated by certain bacteria. The conversation also touches on the knowledge and expertise of astrobiologists in this area.
smartalek86
Its generally a established that ammonia is present under the ice of many moons of gas giants. I guess many in the astronomy/astrobiologists community don't spend much time at home, as they would have noticed that ammonia is a household disinfectant. I understand we don't have any idea of the concentration it would be under the ices of various moons, but i wonder, am i the only one to notice this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You're probably referring to the search of extraterrestrial life on icy moons, and think that presence of ammonia must mean its futile because it'd sterilise the environment.
However, ammonia is also a precursor for amino acids and synthesis of nucleotides, and as such is essential for life.

The old Paracelcus' adage applies: the dose makes the poison.

Measurements of Enceladus' plume composition conducted by Cassini indicate approx 0.8% ammonia concentration (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v460/n7254/full/nature08153.html?foxtrotcallback=true). Which while toxic to most large terrestrial animals, is tolerable to some species of bacteria. It is hardly a stretch to expect possible life evolved in those conditions to develop even more robust tolerance.As a side note, I'm certain astrobiologists learn all about basic and not so basic chemistry in class.

Likes Rubidium_71 and DrClaude
smartalek86 said:
Its generally a established that ammonia is present under the ice of many moons of gas giants. I guess many in the astronomy/astrobiologists community don't spend much time at home, as they would have noticed that ammonia is a household disinfectant. I understand we don't have any idea of the concentration it would be under the ices of various moons, but i wonder, am i the only one to notice this?

The colonists could say that it was pissing outside without using figure of speech.

1. What is ammonia and why is it important in icy moons?

Ammonia is a compound made up of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms, with a chemical formula of NH3. It is important in icy moons because it can act as an antifreeze, preventing the water on these moons from freezing completely and allowing for the possibility of life.

2. How does ammonia get into the icy moons of gas giants?

Ammonia is thought to have been trapped inside the icy moons during their formation. As the moons formed from the gas and dust surrounding the gas giant, some of the ammonia molecules became trapped inside the ice and have remained there since.

3. How does the presence of ammonia affect the geology of these moons?

The presence of ammonia can greatly impact the geology of the icy moons. It can lower the melting point of water, allowing for liquid water to exist under the surface. This can lead to geological processes such as cryovolcanism and geysers, which can shape the surface of these moons.

4. Is ammonia the only compound found in the icy moons of gas giants?

No, ammonia is not the only compound found in these moons. Other compounds, such as water, methane, and carbon dioxide, have also been detected. However, ammonia is a key compound due to its ability to act as an antifreeze and its possible role in supporting life.

5. What is the significance of studying ammonia in icy moons for our understanding of the solar system?

Studying ammonia in icy moons can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of the solar system. It can also help us understand the potential for life in other parts of our solar system and beyond. Additionally, understanding the role of ammonia in these moons can aid in future space exploration missions and possibly even human colonization of these icy worlds.