Amount of drug in body and absorbed in bloodstream

• Thread starter xicor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the drug is moving from the bloodstream to the body, and back to the brain, with maybe a stop in the brain along the way, and out of the body.
xicor

Homework Statement

Determine the behavior of a drug in the bloodstream that enters the brain and the amount of this drug in the bloodstream that is delivered to the body at a given time as it decays. The amount of drug in the body is eliminated as described by an exponential decay half life equation. Plot the behavior to show an graphical representation.

Homework Equations

A = Ai*e^((-log(2)*(t/H)) Amount of drug in body, t is only variable
dA/dt = (-log(2)/H)*Ai*e^((-log(2)*(t/H)) t is only variable
dB/dt = -k1*B + (k2*A)
B is amount of drug in bloodstream
H = Ci*(280-W)/26 Half life Equation
k1 = 2.5 Half life constant
k2 = 2.7 Half life constant

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I know what the final graph is suppose to look like where the amount of drug in the bloodstream is represented by starting at an initial value and exponentially decaying. The amount of drug in the body starts at zero and exponentially increases as the drug from bloodstream enters the body until it reaches a maximum value and then decays. Logically thinking through the problem, I would think that the amount of drug in body that decays is determined by two different decaying rates from body and bloodstream where so far I have created the equation
g(t) = A(o)*(e^((-log10(2)*(t/H))) - e^((-k1*t)))
but am not sure if this is correct and not sure what to plot for the amount of drug in the bloodstream. I have tried plotting this equation against A but they end up both decaying to the same value whereas the decay for the bloodstream should produce values that are a little smaller after the intersection of the graphs takes place. I did try solving for B and got B = (k2*A)/k1 + exp(-k2*t) but when I tried plotting this equation it wasn't the correct behavior. Does this have to do something with the two differential equations being coupled so I would solve for B in a different way then using integrating factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way your post reads, the drug is moving from the body to the bloodstream, and back to the body, with maybe a stop in the brain along the way, and out of the body.

Are you talking, for instance, intramuscular injection, exponential decay of intramuscular concentration into bloodstream, and exponential decay of bloodstream concentration via renal system and/or brain metabolism. "In body" is not clear.

If you could clarify the problem statement vis a vis the number of "decay" processes, it might be all you need, and it will ease efforts to help you.

A few suggestions:

That you just lump all the constants appearing in your first two equations so that the first becomes just

A = Aie-k3t

(Now but also as a general habit). All the complication is probably helping prevent you seeing wood for trees, can even intimidate you (as well as anyone trying to follow)).

You might notice that your second equation follows from the first, so it may not be necessary.

Try (always!) to see, as it were, the physiological mechanism through the equations (and vice versa). Avoiding unnecessary complication in the equations will help this.

When you try to see this some things sound a bit discrepant, as bystander has picked up. Does 'body' mean body including or excluding the bloodstream?

I question k1 and k2 being called "half-life constants" - they are plain physiological rate constants, related to certain half-lives.

I think to say anthing profitable it would be better for us to have the original problem verbatim.

Last edited:

1. How is the amount of a drug in the body measured?

The amount of a drug in the body is typically measured in terms of its concentration in the blood. This can be done through a blood test or by calculating the drug's volume of distribution, which takes into account factors such as body weight and tissue composition.

2. How long does it take for a drug to be absorbed into the bloodstream?

The rate at which a drug is absorbed into the bloodstream can vary depending on factors such as the drug's formulation, route of administration, and individual factors such as metabolism and blood flow. Generally, most drugs reach peak blood levels within 30 minutes to 2 hours after administration.

3. What is the difference between the amount of a drug in the body and the amount absorbed in the bloodstream?

The amount of a drug in the body refers to the total amount present, including both the amount that has been absorbed into the bloodstream and any remaining in the tissues or organs. The amount absorbed in the bloodstream specifically refers to the portion of the drug that has entered the bloodstream and is available for distribution to other parts of the body.

4. How does the body eliminate drugs from the bloodstream?

The body eliminates drugs from the bloodstream primarily through metabolism and excretion. Metabolism involves the breakdown of the drug into smaller molecules, which can then be eliminated through the kidneys, liver, or other organs. Excretion involves the removal of the drug or its metabolites from the body, typically through urine or feces.

5. Can the amount of a drug in the body and absorbed in the bloodstream be affected by other medications or substances?

Yes, the amount of a drug in the body and absorbed in the bloodstream can be affected by other medications, substances, and individual factors. For example, some drugs may interact with each other and alter their absorption or elimination rates. Additionally, certain substances or medical conditions may affect the body's ability to metabolize and eliminate drugs, leading to changes in the amount present in the body and absorbed in the bloodstream.