ODE's: Rate of Change for Drug Dissipation in Human Body

In summary, the conversation discusses the dissipation of a drug in the human body at a rate proportional to the amount present in the bloodstream, with initial conditions and multiple injections. The solution involves using the differential equation dy/dt = ky and solving for the amount of drug at different time intervals. The final question involves finding the limiting value as n->∞.
Leptos

Homework Statement

Suppose that the human body dissipates a drug at a rate proportional to the amount y of drug present in the bloodstream at time t. At time t = 0 a first injection of Y0 grams is made into a body that was drug free prior to t = 0.

a) Amount of drug at the end of T hours.
b) If at time T a second injection of y0 is made, find the amount of drug at the end of 2T hours.
c) If at the end of each time period of length T an injection of Y0 is made, find the amount of rug at the end of n*T hours.
d) Find the limiting value of the answer to (c) as n->∞.

Homework Equations

dy/dt ∝ y(t)
y(0) = y0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what equation would give me the model required for this question...
It appears we have logistic decay so it would be something like:
y0e-kt/(1 - e-kt)
I'd appreciate being nudged in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well can someone at least tell me if I'm on the right track? Would I use logistic decay to model this situation?

Leptos said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the human body dissipates a drug at a rate proportional to the amount y of drug present in the bloodstream at time t. At time t = 0 a first injection of Y0 grams is made into a body that was drug free prior to t = 0.

a) Amount of drug at the end of T hours.
b) If at time T a second injection of y0 is made, find the amount of drug at the end of 2T hours.
c) If at the end of each time period of length T an injection of Y0 is made, find the amount of rug at the end of n*T hours.
d) Find the limiting value of the answer to (c) as n->∞.

Homework Equations

dy/dt ∝ y(t)
y(0) = y0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what equation would give me the model required for this question...
It appears we have logistic decay so it would be something like:
y0e-kt/(1 - e-kt)
I'd appreciate being nudged in the right direction.

This sentence,
Suppose that the human body dissipates a drug at a rate proportional to the amount y of drug present in the bloodstream at time t.
translates into dy/dt = ky, for 0 <= t <= T. Since the drug dissipates over time, k has to be negative.
Find the solution to this differential equation, using the initial condition.

At time T, another dose of the drug is injected, so come up with a differential equation that represents this situation for T <= t <= 2T.

Mark44 said:
This sentence,

translates into dy/dt = ky, for 0 <= t <= T. Since the drug dissipates over time, k has to be negative.
Find the solution to this differential equation, using the initial condition.
By separation of variables I get y = Cekt where C = ec and then y(0) = y0 = Ce0 so y = y0ekt.
At time T, another dose of the drug is injected, so come up with a differential equation that represents this situation for T <= t <= 2T.
Would this be shifting the coefficient on ekt? So in this case we would have y(T) = y0ekT therefore we use y = (y0ekT)ekt. Is this right?

can i see the solution for this problem? it is also one of my problem.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding rates of change.

2. What is the rate of change in an ODE?

The rate of change in an ODE refers to the rate at which the dependent variable is changing with respect to the independent variable. It can also be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to the curve at a specific point.

3. How are ODEs used in science?

ODEs are used in various fields of science to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are particularly useful in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, where many systems can be described by a set of differential equations.

4. What are some techniques for solving ODEs?

There are several techniques for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods such as numerical methods and series solutions can also be used for more complex ODEs.

5. What are some real-life applications of ODEs?

ODEs have many real-life applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, and analyzing chemical reactions. They are also used in fields like economics, finance, and neuroscience to understand and make predictions about complex systems.