Solving Drug Flow Diff Eqs: Find Amount After Long Time

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Time
In summary, the drug is uniformly distributed throughout the bloodstream and after 'forever' has passed, there will be 1250 mg of the drug present in the blood stream.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A certain drug is being administered intravenously to a hospital patient. Fluid containing
5 mg/cm3 of the drug enters the patient’s bloodstream at a rate of 100 cm3 /h.

The drug is absorbed by body tissues or otherwise leaves the bloodstream at a rate proportional to the amount present, with a rate constant of 0.4 (h)-1.

(a) Assuming that the drug is always uniformly distributed throughout the bloodstream,
write a differential equation for the amount of the drug that is present in the bloodstream
at any time.

(b) How much of the drug is present in the bloodstream after a long time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Since the distribution of the drug is uniform, we know that there will be :

##(5 \frac{mg}{cm^3}) (100 \frac{cm^3}{h}) = 500 \frac{mg}{h}##

of fluid distributed per hour regardless.

The drug is being absorbed or leaving the body at a rate proportional to the amount present with a constant rate of 0.4 (h)-1. So when the drug is entering the body, mg > 0, when the drug leaves the body, mg < 0. Hence we must account for how much fluid enters and leaves the body as well. Thus we get the equation :

##\frac{d(mg)}{dt} = 500 - 0.4mg##

(b) I believe this amounts to solving this equation first so :

##\int \frac{1}{500 - 0.4mg} d(mg) = \int dt##

Cleaning this up a bit I got :

##mg(t) = ke^{-0.4t} + 1250##

Now we can observe the nature of the position with respect to time rather than the velocity. So as ##t → ∞## we see ##mg(t) → 1250##.

So after 'forever' has happened there will be 1250 mg of the drug in the blood stream.

Does this look okay? I'm not very experienced with diff eqs word questions, but they really caught my eye today.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The working is correct, but it would be better to have a single-letter name for the amount of drug in the bloodstream.

Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

A certain drug is being administered intravenously to a hospital patient. Fluid containing
5 mg/cm3 of the drug enters the patient’s bloodstream at a rate of 100 cm3 /h.

The drug is absorbed by body tissues or otherwise leaves the bloodstream at a rate proportional to the amount present, with a rate constant of 0.4 (h)-1.

(a) Assuming that the drug is always uniformly distributed throughout the bloodstream,
write a differential equation for the amount of the drug that is present in the bloodstream
at any time.

(b) How much of the drug is present in the bloodstream after a long time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Since the distribution of the drug is uniform, we know that there will be :

##(5 \frac{mg}{cm^3}) (100 \frac{cm^3}{h}) = 500 \frac{mg}{h}##

of fluid distributed per hour regardless.

The drug is being absorbed or leaving the body at a rate proportional to the amount present with a constant rate of 0.4 (h)-1. So when the drug is entering the body, mg > 0, when the drug leaves the body, mg < 0. Hence we must account for how much fluid enters and leaves the body as well. Thus we get the equation :

(b) I believe this amounts to solving this equation first so :

##\int \frac{1}{500 - 0.4mg} d(mg) = \int dt##

Cleaning this up a bit I got :

##mg(t) = ke^{-0.4t} + 1250##

Now we can observe the nature of the position with respect to time rather than the velocity. So as ##t → ∞## we see ##mg(t) → 1250##.

So after 'forever' has happened there will be 1250 mg of the drug in the blood stream.

Does this look okay? I'm not very experienced with diff eqs word questions, but they really caught my eye today.

Looks fine to me. The only change I would make is to use a different variable, say A (for amount) rather than mg, which is a unit. mg might also be confused as the product of m and g, which appear in problems involving masses that are falling.

1. What are differential equations (DEs) and how are they used to solve drug flow problems?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. In the context of drug flow, DEs are used to model the amount of a drug in a system over time, taking into account factors such as absorption, distribution, and elimination. These equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables or numerical methods.

2. How do you determine the initial conditions for a drug flow differential equation?

The initial conditions for a drug flow DE are typically given in the problem or can be calculated using information about the drug's initial dose, concentration, and rate of administration. These initial conditions are necessary in order to solve the DE and determine the amount of drug present after a certain amount of time.

3. What is the significance of the long-time behavior in solving drug flow DEs?

The long-time behavior of a drug flow DE refers to the amount of drug present in the system after a significant amount of time has passed. This behavior can be predicted by solving the DE and can provide important information about the effectiveness and safety of a drug, as well as its potential for accumulation in the body.

4. What are some common challenges in solving drug flow DEs?

Some common challenges in solving drug flow DEs include accurately modeling the various factors that affect drug flow, such as absorption, distribution, and elimination; choosing an appropriate method for solving the DE; and interpreting the results in a meaningful way for the specific drug and system being studied.

5. How can solving drug flow DEs contribute to drug development and research?

Solving drug flow DEs can provide valuable insights into the behavior of drugs in the body and can help researchers and developers optimize drug dosing and delivery methods. It can also aid in predicting potential side effects and identifying optimal treatment regimens for specific diseases or conditions.