Amount of energy generated from fusion

In summary: It's always good to understand the logic behind a solution rather than just memorizing a process. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of fuel mass needed to generate Australia's electricity using a fusion reactor. The solution involves dividing the energy by 1% of the speed of light squared, which is equivalent to dividing by c^2 to get the mass lost and then multiplying by 100 to get the total mass of fuel. This approach is more intuitive as it applies the 1% error in the entire energy rather than just in the speed of light. However, there may be some discrepancies in the given values and the actual solution.
Phys12

Homework Statement

Assuming that we could generate Australia's electricity from a fusion reactor, that converted hydrogen to iron and turned the energy into electricity with 100% efficiency, what mass of fuel would it use per year? You may assume that this fusion reaction converts 1% of the mass into energy. Australia uses 225 billion kilo-watt hours of electricity per year which is 8.2*10^17 Joules.

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

m = (8.2*10^17)/c^2
=> m = 10 kg (approx.)
Since the fusion converts only 1% mass into energy, I multiply the result by 100 to get 1000 kg.

While my answer is within the margin of error (the real answer is 900 kg.), my way of going about solving the problem might be wrong as the answer given is:
"Divide the energy by 1% of the speed of light squared, to get the mass needed."

What I don't understand is: why would we want to divide it by 1% the speed of light? What's the logic behind that? We obviously are not changing the speed of light, just reducing the efficiency, so, wouldn't increasing the total energy required (as I did) be a more logical approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys12 said:
why would we want to divide it by 1% the speed of light?
It is strangely worded, but if we read it as "divide by 1% of ((speed of light)2), that is the same as dividing by c2 to get the mass lost, and then multiplying by 100 to get the total mass of fuel, as you did.
One source of discrepancy is that the conversion from kWh to J that they provided is not quite right, but it's only a 1.25% error. But you seem to have made a larger error in your division by c2.

haruspex said:
It is strangely worded, but if we read it as "divide by 1% of ((speed of light)2), that is the same as dividing by c2 to get the mass lost, and then multiplying by 100 to get the total mass of fuel, as you did.
One source of discrepancy is that the conversion from kWh to J that they provided is not quite right, but it's only a 1.25% error. But you seem to have made a larger error in your division by c2.
My error comes from dividing 8.2 by 3 * 3. I divided them both to get one, while now that I actually do the division, my answer is coming to 911 which is much closer to 900 than my previous answer of 1000 was. And from your comment, doesn't my way of solving seem more intuitive since we apply that 1% error in the entire energy and not in the speed of light?

Phys12 said:
911 which is much closer to 900
If you ignore the given 8.2 and start from the 225 bn kWh you will get even closer to 900.
Phys12 said:
doesn't my way of solving seem more intuitive
It's hard to say what their way of solving it was. They specify an arithmetic process, but not the logic behind it.

haruspex said:
It's hard to say what their way of solving it was. They specify an arithmetic process, but not the logic behind it.

Exactly! So I suppose I'll stick to my logic and understand the solution that way, cool?

Phys12 said:
Exactly! So I suppose I'll stick to my logic and understand the solution that way, cool?
Sure.

Likes Phys12

What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing large amounts of energy in the process.

How is fusion different from fission?

Fusion involves combining smaller nuclei to form a larger one, while fission involves splitting a larger nucleus into smaller ones. Fusion releases more energy per unit mass than fission and produces less radioactive waste.

What is the source of energy in fusion reactions?

The source of energy in fusion reactions is the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc². The mass of the fused nucleus is slightly less than the combined mass of the original nuclei, and this difference is released as energy.

How much energy can be generated from fusion?

The amount of energy generated from fusion depends on the specific reaction and the amount of fuel used. However, in general, fusion reactions can release millions of times more energy than chemical reactions, making it a potentially abundant and clean source of energy.

What challenges need to be overcome to harness fusion energy?

One of the main challenges in harnessing fusion energy is achieving and maintaining the high temperatures and pressures required for fusion to occur. Additionally, finding and sustaining a fuel source that can continuously undergo fusion reactions is also a major challenge. Scientists are currently working on developing and improving technologies to overcome these challenges and make fusion energy a viable source of energy for the future.