Amount of money a player to receive

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary: ThanksExcel has a binomial distribution function, for example. That should be easy to use.Note that the binomial distribution has a peak around the mean, so that narrows down the possibilities for the most likely.Thank you very much PeroKI see, so $1.67 is rounded down to $1.5If the calculated value is $1.8, then I round it to $2. What about $1.75? Does it mean I can either round it to $1.5 or $2 (both are correct)?ThanksIt sounds like you expect the distribution to be symmetric around a mean of $1.75. For a binomial distribution,
songoku
Homework Statement
A bag contains 4 reds, 5 blue and 6 green balls (balls are identical except their colour). Ten balls are drawn, one at a time and being replaced before taking next ball. A player receives $0.5 for every blue ball drawn.
(i) Find the probability he gets more than $2.5
(ii) If 20 players are randomly chosen, find the expected number of players who will receive more than $2.5
(iii) Find the amount a player is most likely to receive
Relevant Equations
Binomial Distribution
I can answer parts (i) and (ii).

For part (iii), this is what I did:
Expected number of blue balls drawn out of 10 trials = n.p = 10 x 1/3 = 10/3

The amount a player is most likely to receive = 10/3 x $0.5 = $1.67

But the answer key is $1.5, not really far from my answer but I wonder is there anything wrong with my working?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
The amount a player is most likely to receive = 10/3 x $0.5 = $1.67

But the answer key is $1.5, not really far from my answer but I wonder is there anything wrong with my working?
It's impossible to receive $1.67. Winnings are always multiples of $0.50.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
It's impossible to receive $1.67. Winnings are always multiples of $0.50.
I see, so $1.67 is rounded down to $1.5

If the calculated value is $1.8, then I round it to $2. What about $1.75? Does it mean I can either round it to $1.5 or $2 (both are correct)?

Thanks

songoku said:
No. You are looking for the most likely, not the average.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
No. You are looking for the most likely, not the average.
My idea is to compute P(X = 0) until P(X = 10) and see which has the highest probability. Is there a way which does not involve brute force?

Thanks

songoku said:
My idea is to compute P(X = 0) until P(X = 10) and see which has the highest probability. Is there a way which does not involve brute force?

Thanks
Excel has a binomial distribution function, for example. That should be easy to use.

Note that the binomial distribution has a peak around the mean, so that narrows down the possibilities for the most likely.

Likes Prof B and songoku
Thank you very much PeroK

songoku said:

If the calculated value is $1.8, then I round it to $2. What about $1.75? Does it mean I can either round it to $1.5 or $2 (both are correct)?

Thanks
It sounds like you expect the distribution to be symmetric around a mean of $1.75. For a binomial distribution, that is not true except for a probability of 1/2. In general, you should calculate the probabilities at the possible values. For this example, $1.67 is so much closer to $1.5 than to $2 that $1.5 is a good guess. You also seem to be assuming that the average (mean) is directly related to the most likely (mode). For some distributions, they can be very different.

Likes songoku
The number that maximizes ## f(k) ## is called the mode. If there is a unique local maximum then you can find it as follows: Let ## r(k) = f(k)/f(k-1) ##. Let ## m = \max\{k \,|\, r(k) \geq 1\} ##. Note that if ## r(m) = 1 ## then ## m-1 ## and ## m ## are equally like.

For a binomial distribution ## r(k) = \frac{n-k+1}{k} \frac{p}{1-p} ##. Please verify that ## m = \lfloor np+p\rfloor ##

1. How much money does a player typically receive?

The amount of money a player receives can vary greatly depending on the sport, level of competition, and individual contracts. However, in professional sports, players can make millions of dollars per year.

2. Do all players receive the same amount of money?

No, players do not receive the same amount of money. Salaries are often determined by factors such as skill level, experience, and market demand.

3. Are players paid in a lump sum or in installments?

This can also vary depending on the sport and contract agreements. Some players may receive their salary in a lump sum, while others may receive it in installments throughout the season.

4. How does a player's performance affect their salary?

In most cases, a player's performance can have a significant impact on their salary. Players who consistently perform well and contribute to their team's success may receive higher salaries or bonuses.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect a player's salary?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a player's salary, such as endorsements, sponsorships, and bonuses for achievements or milestones. Additionally, a player's salary can also be impacted by the overall financial health of their team or league.