Ampere's Law and Walter Lewin

In summary, Walter Lewin argues that current is not explained well in textbooks by using the right hand rule and Amperian loop. He creates a model that is more accurate and demonstrates that current is due to a difference in field strength between two points.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8196/ampere.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

I've watched Walter Lewin's vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCZnb-EMtk&feature=relmfu like five times and he seemed pretty angry with the way books explain this...

Anyways

First and foremost

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{ds} = \mu_0 I[/tex]

(a) my Amperian loop encloses no current, so it is 0

(b)http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/339/ampb.th.png

By the right hand rule, my thumb points into the page and my B-field vector points as in the picture.

So I get

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{ds} = \mu_0 I_1 N_1 [/tex]

[tex]B(2\pi b) = \mu_0 I_1 N_1[/tex]

[tex]B = \frac{ \mu_0 I_1 N_1}{2\pi b}[/tex]

Now for c, I got to enlarge my Amperian loop

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6403/ampc.th.png

Since the currents are in opposite direction, I must take their absolute value difference. So I have something like this

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot \vec{ds} = \mu_0 NI[/tex]

[tex]B(2\pi c) = \mu_0 \left |N_1I_1 - N_2I_2 \right|[/tex]

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 \left |N_1I_1 - N_2I_2 \right|}{2\pi c}[/tex]

I am actually pretty confident about this, but I just started this today, so I need a thumbs up from an expert

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. Note, though, that they are not exact, because the configuration is not exactly symmetrical. For instance, the field very near a wire will be dominated by that wire, while the field far from any wire will be close to the answers you got.

What do you mean not symmetrical? I used a circle as my closed path...circles are very very symmetric!

Yes, but the actual wires do not form a perfect circle, because there are gaps in between. However, I'm very sure that they don't matter for the purposes of this question, and that your answers are the intended ones.

I would like to clarify and expand on the concepts of Ampere's Law and Walter Lewin's explanation of it.

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop (represented by the integral of B·ds) to the current enclosed by that loop (represented by μ0I). This law is crucial in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and is often used in the design and analysis of electrical systems.

In the video by Walter Lewin, he highlights the importance of understanding the direction of the magnetic field and current when applying Ampere's Law. This is crucial because the direction of the magnetic field and current can affect the sign of the enclosed current, which in turn affects the magnitude of the magnetic field.

In part (a) of the problem, the Amperian loop encloses no current, and therefore the integral of B·ds is equal to zero. This is because Ampere's Law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current enclosed by that loop. In this case, since there is no enclosed current, there is no magnetic field.

In part (b) of the problem, the right-hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field. This is a common method used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of the magnetic field based on the direction of the current. The equation used in this part is a simplified version of Ampere's Law, where the number of turns (N) and the current (I) are multiplied together to represent the total enclosed current.

In part (c), the Amperian loop is enlarged to include two currents flowing in opposite directions. In this case, the enclosed current is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the two currents. This is because the direction of the magnetic field is affected by the direction of the current, and the direction of the current will be different for each current flowing in opposite directions.

In conclusion, Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the current enclosed by that loop. It is important to understand the direction of the magnetic field and current when applying this law, as highlighted by Walter Lewin in his explanation. By carefully considering the direction of the magnetic field and current, we can accurately calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field using Ampere's Law.

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the electric current passing through that loop.

2. Who is Walter Lewin?

Walter Lewin is a Dutch-American physicist and former professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is best known for his popular online physics lectures and his contributions to the field of electromagnetism, including his work on Ampere's Law.

3. How did Walter Lewin contribute to Ampere's Law?

Walter Lewin's research on Ampere's Law focused on its applications to electromagnetic induction and its role in the behavior of magnetic materials. He also developed new methods for visualizing and understanding the complex magnetic fields described by Ampere's Law.

4. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the production of magnetic fields for medical imaging and particle accelerators, as well as in the study of Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of charged particles in space.

5. How is Ampere's Law related to other fundamental laws of electromagnetism?

Ampere's Law is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of classical electromagnetism. It is closely related to Gauss's Law for electricity and Faraday's Law of induction, and together these laws describe the fundamental relationship between electric and magnetic fields.