Why can't we use Ampere's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a specific point using a model of infinitely long wires and integrating to find the total magnetic field. It is explained that this approach is necessary because Ampere's Law cannot be directly used due to the lack of symmetry in the problem.
Kyle Nemeth
We are asked to find the magnetic field at point P, all of the quantities in the figure are known values and the current density is uniform. One way to solve this problem is by modeling the sheet as a collection of infinitely long wires, with each wire contributing an amount of magnetic field dB and then integrating to find the total magnetic field. Why is it that this approach must be used and not an approach involving Ampere's Law directly?

Attachments

• ac09c900-4da5-4fc4-9e12-ce9f27b8fa0a.png
    ac09c900-4da5-4fc4-9e12-ce9f27b8fa0a.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
I am familiar with this problem, the Amperian Loop is chosen as a rectangle within the slab with a height smaller than the thickness of it (to find B at a point within the slab) and can then be chosen as a rectangle with a height larger than the thickness of the slab (to find B at a point above the slab) and this is okay because the magnetic field is perpendicular to the length elements along the height, so the integral on the left side of Ampere's Law is 0. The plane slab actually extends infinitely in two dimensions rather than just one as in my problem, I apologize I should have specified that the sheet is "thin" so that it has no thickness.

My mistake: I see you have a finite width ## w ## to the sheet. You don't have enough symmetry on the integral path for Ampere's law to supply the answer. The ## B ## in the integrand is non-uniform.

Likes Kyle Nemeth
Awesome, thank you, I've thought about this also, so if we choose a circle as our loop, or even a rectangle (so that the entire cross-section of the sheet is enclosed) it is true that both would be anti-symmetric with the geometry of the magnetic field formed by the sheet?

Kyle Nemeth said:
Awesome, thank you, I've thought about this also, so if we choose a circle as our loop, or even a rectangle (so that the entire cross-section of the sheet is enclosed) it is true that both would be anti-symmetric with the geometry of the magnetic field formed by the sheet?
Not anti-symmetric, but asymmetric. If it were simply anti-symmetric, then ## \oint B \cdot dl=0 ##. When it is asymmetric, ## B ## is non-uniform, and can't be removed from the integral in any fashion.

ASYMMETRIC, okay, well understood, thank you for your response.

Likes Charles Link

1. Why can't we use Ampere's Law in all situations?

Ampere's Law is a mathematical equation that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. However, it can only be used in situations where the current is steady and the magnetic field is constant. In cases where the current is changing or the magnetic field is not constant, other equations such as Faraday's Law must be used.

2. Can Ampere's Law be used for non-closed loops?

No, Ampere's Law can only be applied to closed loops. This is because the equation relies on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. Non-closed loops do not follow this principle and therefore Ampere's Law cannot be used.

3. Is Ampere's Law applicable to all types of currents?

No, Ampere's Law can only be used for steady currents. This means that the current must have a constant magnitude and direction. In cases where the current is changing, Ampere's Law cannot be applied and other equations must be used.

4. What are the limitations of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has several limitations. It can only be applied to closed loops, steady currents, and constant magnetic fields. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of non-ideal conductors, such as resistance and inductance, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a material?

No, Ampere's Law cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a material. This is because the equation assumes that the magnetic field is constant, but in materials, the magnetic field can vary depending on the properties of the material. In these cases, other equations such as the Biot-Savart Law must be used.