Amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction

In summary: The approximations you are using are accurate enough for most purposes, but there will be some small inaccuracies.
jaumzaum
Hello!

I was trying to calculate the amplitude of the secondary maximums in the single slit diffraction.
When I use the formula:
$$ I = I_0 (\frac {sin(\Delta \phi /2)} {\Delta \phi /2})^2 $$
If I take ## x = \Delta \phi /2 ## and derivate I get that the maximum occurs when:
$$ x = tan(x) $$
The first 2 solutions are x=± 4.493409 and x=± 7.72525
which gives ##I_0/I##= 21.19 and 60.68 respectively.

However, this site gives a more direct way of calculating the maximums.
They say the first secondary maximum occurs when the phasors make 1 and a half loop, and the second secondary maximum when the phasors make 2,5 loop. However, that gives a slight different answer, 22.21 and 61.68 respectively
View attachment 323616
sinint8.png

Why are the values different? Which one is right?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sinint8.png
    sinint8.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jaumzaum said:
Why are the values different? Which one is right?
Not my area but I believe neither answer is correct! (Though they’re accurate enough for most purposes.)

I think the equations you are using are (pretty good) approximations. But there will be some small inaccuracies.

The ‘exact’ intensity distribution (if Wikipedia is to be trusted) is:$$I(\theta) = I_0 \left[ sinc \left( \frac {\pi a}{\lambda} \sin \theta \right) \right]^2$$(The ‘##sinc##’ function is defined as ##sinc(x) = \frac {\sin(x)}x##.)

You’d have to differentiate that to find the angles of the maxima. (Note the plural of ‘maximum’ is ‘maxima’!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_from_slits#Single_slit

Maybe someone with a more in-depth knowledge will be able to provide more detail.

Steve4Physics said:
Not my area but I believe neither answer is correct! (Though they’re accurate enough for most purposes.)

I think the equations you are using are (pretty good) approximations. But there will be some small inaccuracies.

The ‘exact’ intensity distribution (if Wikipedia is to be trusted) is:$$I(\theta) = I_0 \left[ sinc \left( \frac {\pi a}{\lambda} \sin \theta \right) \right]^2$$(The ‘##sinc##’ function is defined as ##sinc(x) = \frac {\sin(x)}x##.)

You’d have to differentiate that to find the angles of the maxima. (Note the plural of ‘maximum’ is ‘maxima’!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_from_slits#Single_slit

Maybe someone with a more in-depth knowledge will be able to provide more detail.

Thanks @Steve4Physics

That is the exact same equation I am using.

Where ##\Delta \phi = \frac {2\pi a sin\theta}{\lambda} ##

jaumzaum said:
That is the exact same equation I am using.

Where ##\Delta \phi = \frac {2\pi a sin\theta}{\lambda} ##
Aha! I misinterpreted the meaning of ##\Delta \phi##. (It wasn't defined in Post #1.)

So intensity as a function of ##\theta##, expressed without the '##sinc##' and ##\Delta \phi## is:$$I(\theta) = I_0 \left[
\frac
{\sin \left( \frac {\pi a}{\lambda} \sin \theta \right)}
{\left( \frac {\pi a}{\lambda} \sin \theta \right)}
\right]^2$$To find a maximum intensity we need the value of ##\theta## which makes ##\frac {dI}{d\theta} = 0## and ##\frac {d^2I}{d\theta^2} < 0##.

Assuming your solution for this is correct, we only need to explain why the 'phasor' method is slightly inaccurate.

It appears that when doing the phasor-addition, it is only an approximation (but a good one) to assume the phasors line-up along a perfectly cicular arc. But it turns out the arc is not perectly circular.

A quick search produced this (concerning the 1st two maxima). See link below for context:

“These two maxima actually correspond to values of ϕ slightly less than 3π rad and 5π rad. Since the total length of the arc of the phasor diagram is always NΔE0, the radius of the arc decreases as ϕ increases. As a result, E1 and E2 turn out to be slightly larger for arcs that have not quite curled through 3π rad and 5π rad, respectively. “​
About halfway down https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshe...on/4.03:_Intensity_in_Single-Slit_Diffraction

1. What is the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction?

The amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction refers to the height or intensity of the light waves at the points of maximum interference. It is a measure of the brightness or darkness of the diffraction pattern.

2. How is the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction calculated?

The amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction can be calculated using the formula A = (2J+1)A0, where A0 is the amplitude of the incident light and J is the order of the maximum. This formula takes into account the number of slits and the order of the maximum to determine the amplitude.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction?

The amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction can be affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. These factors can alter the diffraction pattern and therefore impact the amplitude of the maximums.

4. How does the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction change with distance from the slit?

The amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction decreases as the distance from the slit increases. This is because the light waves spread out and become less intense as they travel further from the slit. Therefore, the amplitude of the maximums decreases as the distance increases.

5. Can the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction be greater than the amplitude of the incident light?

No, the amplitude of the maximums in single slit diffraction cannot be greater than the amplitude of the incident light. The diffraction pattern can only redistribute the intensity of the incident light, not amplify it. Therefore, the amplitude of the maximums will always be equal to or less than the amplitude of the incident light.