Amplitude of waves at a further distance

In summary, the amplitude decreases as the distance from the generator increases. The energy per meter of circumference is the same at both distances, but the amplitude decreases as the distance from the generator increases.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

While sitting in a large pool that has a wave generator situated in the center, you text your friend, who is sitting much closer to the wave generator. If the amplitude of the generated wave is A at your friend's location from the generator (d=5.0m), what is the amplitude of the wave at your location farther away (d=50m)? Assume the pool is very large such that the reflection and superposition of waves is not a factor.

A) 10 A
b) 3.16 A
C) 0.1 A
D) 0.316 A

Homework Equations

The problem is I actually have no idea how to approach this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had thought that the amplitude would stay the same, but since none of the answers has just A, it seems that energy is being lost. Then at a distance further away, the amplitude should be less than A, but I am not sure how to mathematically solve this and so can't determine between C) and D).

Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:

Homework Statement

While sitting in a large pool that has a wave generator situated in the center, you text your friend, who is sitting much closer to the wave generator. If the amplitude of the generated wave is A at your friend's location from the generator (d=5.0m), what is the amplitude of the wave at your location farther away (d=50m)? Assume the pool is very large such that the reflection and superposition of waves is not a factor.

A) 10 A
b) 3.16 A
C) 0.1 A
D) 0.316 A

Homework Equations

The problem is I actually have no idea how to approach this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had thought that the amplitude would stay the same, but since none of the answers has just A, it seems that energy is being lost. Then at a distance further away, the amplitude should be less than A, but I am not sure how to mathematically solve this and so can't determine between C) and D).
At 5m, the ripple forms a circle of circumference 10π. What is the circumference at 50m? How does the energy per meter of circumference change with the radius? How does the amplitude change with the energy?

What is meant by "amplitude" of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave refers to the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave. It is a measure of the energy carried by the wave.

How does the amplitude of a wave change as it travels a further distance?

As a wave travels a further distance, its amplitude decreases due to the spreading out of the wave's energy over a larger area. This is known as wave attenuation.

What factors affect the amplitude of a wave at a further distance?

The amplitude of a wave at a further distance can be affected by various factors such as the wavelength, medium through which the wave travels, and any obstacles or barriers in its path.

Can the amplitude of a wave be increased at a further distance?

No, the amplitude of a wave cannot be increased at a further distance. In fact, it will continue to decrease as the wave spreads out and loses energy.

How is the amplitude of a wave at a further distance measured?

The amplitude of a wave at a further distance can be measured using instruments such as seismographs, which can detect and record the amplitude of seismic waves. It can also be measured using mathematical calculations based on the wave's properties and distance traveled.