An algebraic manipulation in Schutz's book on GR

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake in equation 11.34 of a book on General Relativity, where the term ##\frac{6M^3}{L^2}y## should result in ##L^2## instead of ##L^4##. The mistake appears to be in the definition of ##y_0## and it is believed that this mistake may also appear in other literature on the subject. The units of each term should be inverse length squared, but with the current equation, it results in incorrect units.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Some algebraic manipulation, which I think there's a misprint in the book.
Please let me know what do you think?
Attached is a pic of the page in the book:
My problem is with equation (11.34) specifically with the term ##\frac{6M^3}{L^2}y## I get ##L^4## instead of ##L^2##.
Here are my calculations (I also checked it with maple's expand command):
$$\frac{E^2-1}{L^2}+\frac{2M^2}{L^4}+\frac{2M}{L^2}y-[y^2+\frac{2yM}{L^2}+\frac{M^2}{L^4}]+$$
$$+2M[y^3+\frac{M^3}{L^6}+3y^2\frac{M}{L^2}+3y\frac{M^2}{L^4}]$$

so if we neglect the term ##2My^3##, we should be getting as I wrote.
I don't see where did I make a mistake?
Can you spot it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• schutz(11.34).png
    schutz(11.34).png
    67.1 KB · Views: 118
Physics news on Phys.org
that's an alge-bruh moment. Yeah I agree, assuming I didn't f*ck it up too...
$$\begin{align*}
\left(\frac{dy}{d\phi}\right)^2 &= \frac{\tilde{E}^2}{\tilde{L}^2} - \left(1-2M\left(y + \frac{M}{\tilde{L}^2}\right)\right)\left(\frac{1}{\tilde{L}^2} + \left(y+\frac{M}{\tilde{L}^2}\right)^2\right) \\ \\
&= \frac{\tilde{E}^2 - 1}{\tilde{L}^2} + \frac{2M}{\tilde{L}^2} \left(y + \frac{M}{\tilde{L}^2}\right) - \left(y^2 + \frac{2My}{\tilde{L}^2} + \frac{M^2}{\tilde{L}^4}\right) + 2M\left(y^3 + \frac{3My^2}{\tilde{L}^2} + \frac{3M^2y}{\tilde{L}^4} + \frac{M^3}{\tilde{L}^6}\right) \\ \\
&= \frac{\tilde{E}^2 + M^2/\tilde{L}^2 - 1}{\tilde{L}^2} + \frac{2M^4}{\tilde{L}^6} + \frac{6M^3 y}{\tilde{L}^4} + \left(\frac{6M^2}{\tilde{L}^2} - 1\right)y^2 + \mathcal{O}\left(y^3\right)
\end{align*}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes MathematicalPhysicist
It seems he carries this mistake in the definition of ##y_0## on the following page.

I have a question to the experts, @vanhees71 @PeterDonis @Dale or others who know about GR.

Does this mistake appear also in the literature outside of Schutz's textbook?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
My problem is with equation (11.34) specifically with the term ##\frac{6M^3}{L^2}y## I get ##L^4## instead of ##L^2##.

Just based on looking at units I think you are correct. The units of each term should be inverse length squared. The units of ##y## are inverse length; the units of ##M## and ##L## are both length; so for the units to be right you need ##L^4## in the denominator.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist and vanhees71
My general impression of Schutz is that it needed a better proof reader.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is an algebraic manipulation in Schutz's book on GR?

An algebraic manipulation in Schutz's book on GR refers to the use of mathematical operations and equations to solve problems and derive new equations in the context of General Relativity (GR). It involves manipulating and rearranging algebraic expressions to simplify and solve problems related to GR.

2. Why is algebraic manipulation important in GR?

Algebraic manipulation is important in GR because it allows us to solve complex problems and derive new equations that describe the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles of GR and make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.

3. What are some examples of algebraic manipulations in Schutz's book on GR?

Some examples of algebraic manipulations in Schutz's book on GR include solving for the metric tensor, manipulating the Einstein field equations, and deriving the geodesic equation. These manipulations help us to understand the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity on matter and energy.

4. How does algebraic manipulation relate to the concept of tensors in GR?

In GR, tensors are used to represent physical quantities and their relationships in spacetime. Algebraic manipulation is used to manipulate and solve equations involving tensors, allowing us to derive new equations and understand the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.

5. Is algebraic manipulation the only mathematical tool used in GR?

No, algebraic manipulation is not the only mathematical tool used in GR. Other mathematical tools, such as differential geometry and calculus, are also used to describe and understand the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity. However, algebraic manipulation is an essential tool in solving problems and deriving equations in GR.