An application of Gödel's incompleteness theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the formal first order system for arithmetics, \mathcal{N}, is ω-incomplete. The initial idea was to use Gödel's incompleteness theorem, but the conversation points out that this leads to a circular argument with ω-consistency. The question then asks to show that \mathcal{N} is ω-incomplete by using the Godel statement, which can be informally stated as "For all x_1, G cannot be proved in \mathcal{N} with an x_1-lines-long proof." The explanation is provided that for each specific n\in D_N, there are only finitely many proofs that are n
D_Miller
I have a problem in my logic course which I can't get my head around:

I have to show that there is a well formed formula [itex]\mathcal{A}(x_1)[/itex] in the formal first order system for arithmetics, [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex], with precisely one free variable [itex]x_1[/itex], such that [itex]\mathcal{A}(0^{(n)})[/itex] is a theorem in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] for all [itex]n\in D_N[/itex], but where [itex]\forall x_1\mathcal{A}(x_1)[/itex] is not a theorem in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex]. Here [itex]D_N[/itex] denotes the set of natural numbers.

My initial idea was to use the statement and proof of Gödel incompleteness theorem, but I get stuck in a bit of a circle argument with the ω-consistency, so perhaps my idea of using this theorem is all wrong.Edit: If it isn't obvious from the context, it is fair to assume that [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] is consistent.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is just asking you to show that [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] is ω-incomplete, which Godel's theorem easily allows you to do, because the Godel statement is precisely a statement of the form [itex]\forall x_1\mathcal{A}(x_1)[/itex] where [itex]\mathcal{A}(0^{(n)})[/itex] is a theorem in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] for all [itex]n\in D_N[/itex]. Because the Godel statement G can be informally stated as "For all [itex]x_1[/itex], G cannot be proved in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] with an [itex]x_1[/itex]-lines-long proof." However, for each specific [itex]n\in D_N[/itex], there are only finitely many proofs that are n lines long, so just by writing down all the valid proofs in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] that are n lines long, you can establish that there is no proof of G that is n lines long. (Or alternatively, you can state G as "For all [itex]x_1[/itex], G cannot be proved in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] with the (valid) proof whose Godel number is [itex]x_1[/itex]", and then for each [itex]n\in D_N[/itex] you can show that the proof with Godel number n does not prove G.) Does that make sense?

Last edited:

1. What is Gödel's incompleteness theorem?

Gödel's incompleteness theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that in any formal axiomatic system that is sufficiently complex, there will always be true statements that cannot be proven within that system. This means that there will always be some gaps or "incompleteness" in our understanding of mathematics.

2. How was Gödel's incompleteness theorem discovered?

Gödel's incompleteness theorem was discovered by the Austrian mathematician Kurt Gödel in 1931. He published his findings in his paper "On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica and Related Systems". This groundbreaking paper revolutionized the field of mathematical logic and has had a significant impact on various areas of mathematics and computer science.

3. What are some real-world applications of Gödel's incompleteness theorem?

Gödel's incompleteness theorem has been applied to fields such as computer science, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. For example, the theorem has been used to prove that there are limits to what computers can calculate, and has also been applied to create unbreakable codes for secure communication.

4. Are there any limitations to Gödel's incompleteness theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to Gödel's incompleteness theorem. The theorem only applies to formal axiomatic systems that are complex enough to include arithmetic. It also does not apply to informal or intuitive mathematical reasoning, and it does not provide any insight into the existence of undecidable statements in other areas of knowledge.

5. What are the implications of Gödel's incompleteness theorem?

The implications of Gödel's incompleteness theorem are still being debated and studied by mathematicians and philosophers. Some argue that it shows the inherent limitations of human knowledge and the possibility of an ultimate truth that cannot be fully understood or proven. Others see it as a reminder of the importance of continually questioning and improving our understanding of mathematics and the world.