An Asteroid is moving along a straight line

In summary, the conversation discusses an asteroid that is being slowed down by a force and the question of determining the work done by the force and the magnitude of the force. Using the equations for work and force, the instantaneous acceleration of the asteroid is found to be 16,000 m/s. By plugging this into the work equation and using the expressions for initial and final kinetic energy, the work done by the force is calculated to be 1.13*10^12 J. Finally, the magnitude of the force is found by dividing the work by the displacement, which is 1.8*10^6 m, resulting in a force of 7.2*10^8 N. It is emphasized to always include units
MajesticPenguin

Homework Statement

An asteroid is moving along a straight line. A force acts along the displacement of the asteroid and slows it down. The asteroid has a mass of 4.5*10^4 kg, and the force causes its speed to change from 7100m/s to 5500m/s.
(a) What is the work done by the force?
(b) If the asteroid slows down over a distance of 1.8*10^6m, Determine the magnitude of the force.

Homework Equations

W=F*cos(theta)*s
F=ma
instantaneous acceleration = delta(v)/delta(t) as limit of t approaches 0.
W=KEf-KEo= 1/2MVf^2 - 1/2MVo^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I looked for the instantaneous acceleration created by the force by subtracting 7100m/s - 5500m/s
a= 16,000 m/s. This means the force slowed down the asteroid by 1.6*10^4 m/s.
I multiply 45,000 kg by 16,000 m/s to calculate the force.
F= 7.2*10^8 N
I plug this into my work equation:
W=7.2*10^8*cos(180)*s

that's where I'm stuck because I'm not sure what my displacement is.
I tried the last equation and found initial Kinetic energy as Ke=1/2mv^2
so: 1/2(4.5*10^4kg)(7100m/s)^2
= 1.13*10^12
final kinetic is initial kinetic + work
1.13*10^12 + Fcos(theta)s

I feel like I may be over-complicating this question. I feel like I'm close but I'm missing something obvious. Help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are over complicating things. You already have an expression for work in terms of the initial and final kinetic energies, what do you get if you use it? Once you have found the work, how can you compute the force from this?

Note: Never forget that physical quantities come with units, they are important and without them your results do not hold any meaning. ,ake it a habit to always write them out!

1. What is an asteroid?

An asteroid is a small, rocky object that orbits around the sun. They are also known as minor planets or planetoids.

2. How do asteroids move?

Asteroids move along a straight line due to inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. This means that unless acted upon by an external force, an asteroid will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed.

3. How fast do asteroids move?

The speed of an asteroid can vary greatly, but on average, they move at a speed of about 40,000 kilometers per hour. However, some asteroids can travel at speeds of up to 100,000 kilometers per hour.

4. What factors can affect the movement of an asteroid?

The main factors that can affect the movement of an asteroid are gravitational forces from other objects, such as planets, and collisions with other objects in space. These can cause the asteroid to change direction or speed up/slow down.

5. Can asteroids change their trajectory?

Yes, asteroids can change their trajectory due to external forces such as gravitational pulls from other objects. They can also be affected by collisions or explosions, which can alter their path. Some asteroids may also have irregular shapes which can cause them to rotate and change direction.