At what angle must the boat travel so that it moves in a straight line

In summary: If you're not sure, ask for help.Thanks for catching that.It's a good reminder to always check your work.
paulimerci
Homework Statement
A boat moves at 8m/s across a river that flows at 2m/s. At what angle must the boat travel so that it moves in a straight line that is perpendicular to the direction of the river's flow?
Relevant Equations
Trignometry
I'm assuming the boat is traveling north at an 8 m/s and the river is flowing east at a 2 m/s. For the boat to move in a straight line, it has to aim at an upstream angle given by #theta#.
Using SOH CAH TOA, ##v_r = 2m/s##, ##v_b = 8m/s##

$$\theta =\sin^{-1} \frac{v_r}{v_b}$$
$$\theta = 14 ~degrees $$

Was the answer right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.56.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.56.10 PM.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Close : how did you calculate it ?

hmmm27 said:
Close : how did you calculate it ?
I just used trigonometry to find. According to the answer sheet, the angle is 75.5.

paulimerci said:
Homework Statement:: A boat moves at 8m/s across a river that flows at 2m/s. At what angle must the boat travel so that it moves in a straight line that is perpendicular to the direction of the river's flow?
Relevant Equations:: Trignometry

I'm assuming the boat is traveling north at an 8 m/s and the river is flowing east at a 2 m/s. For the boat to move in a straight line, it has to aim at an upstream angle given by #theta#.
Using SOH CAH TOA, ##v_r = 2m/s##, ##v_b = 8m/s##

$$\theta =\sin^{-1} \frac{v_r}{v_b}$$
$$\theta = 14 ~degrees $$

Was the answer right?
Thanks @berkeman for fixing it into Latex.

Likes berkeman
paulimerci said:
Was the answer right?
Always show ALL of your calculations when asking such a question here.

paulimerci said:
I just used trigonometry to find.
That's NOT an answer to "how did you calculate it" Show ALL of your work.

phinds said:
I don't understand, that's what I did in post #1.

paulimerci said:
For the boat to move in a straight line, it has to aim at an upstream angle given by #theta#.
It should be noted that the boat will move in a straight line regardless how it is aimed because its acceleration is zero. Of all the possible straight lines, we are looking for the one that is perpendicular to the current.

Reason I asked is the answer's ~14.5 give or take, which is what a calculator should spew out. "14" seems odd. Also, brackets in your calculation.

paulimerci said:
I don't understand, that's what I did in post #1.
No, it is not. You went from an equation with variables straight to an answer without showing your calculation.

Anyway, you need to review basic trig. The answer of 75.5 degrees is trivial.

I followed this video, and I was quite confused with the answer I got.
I think I understand where my mistake was.
So I need to do 90-theta = 75.5, right?

paulimerci said:
So I need to do 90-theta = 75.5, right?
Now, you got it, although you STILL didn't show your work.

phinds said:
I thought he did show his reasoning and calculation that ##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{2}{8})##

phinds said:
Anyway, you need to review basic trig. The answer of 75.5 degrees is trivial.
Are you defining ##\theta## with respect to a different direction than directly across the river?

1677538697920.png

berkeman said:
I thought he did show his reasoning and calculation that ##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{2}{8})##
Hm ... either I missed the 2 and the 8 in the original post or he backfilled. It would not surpise me to find that I overlooked it.
berkeman said:
Are you defining ##\theta## with respect to a different direction than directly across the river?

View attachment 322972
I using the theta that he drew. sin theta is NOT Vr / Vb. As he correctly figured out in post #11, the answer is sin (90 MINUS theta) = Vr/Vb

phinds said:
I using the theta that he drew. sin theta is NOT Vr / Vb. As he correctly figured out in post #11, the answer is sin (90 MINUS theta) = Vr/Vb
Sorry, I'm probably being dense, but how is it possible that the boat has a speed of 8m/s and the river is moving at 2m/s and it takes an angle of greater than 45 degrees to move straight across the river...?

Likes DaveC426913
HA, he mixed up the 8 and the 2 and I just went along with him. Good thing SOMEBODY here is paying attention. I was also fooled by the fact that he said the answer is 75. Had he got his numbers right he would have gotten 15 (well, 14.47) and would have questioned the book's answer. The book's answer is right ONLY if you take theta from the perpendicular to the bank, not to the bank, which it normally is taken as in such problems.

Good catch, Mike. That's why Greg pays you the big bucks, huh? :smile:

Likes berkeman
Gads. He pays you with animals? I'm going to call the SPCA.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm probably being dense, but how is it possible that the boat has a speed of 8m/s and the river is moving at 2m/s and it takes an angle of greater than 45 degrees to move straight across the river...?
Sanity check. The final critical but disappearing step to problem-solving.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, BvU, phinds and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
Sanity check. The final critical but disappearing step to problem-solving.
Exactly. I USED to do that all the time, before I went insane.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G and SammyS
phinds said:
Hm ... either I missed the 2 and the 8 in the original post or he backfilled. It would not surpise me to find that I overlooked it.

I truly appreciate your time and explaining! What do you mean I backfilled?
I’ve learning disabilities and I really want to learn something. Guide me what mistakes I did. As a non-native English speaker, it also takes me some time to comprehend and communicate.

phinds said:
It was in his OP in two places. It was in his LaTeX work, but initially the LaTeX had an extra "{" character in it that messed up the rendering, so likely you saw his OP before that was fixed. It was also in his hand-drawn sketch that was attached to the OP, but I usually don't click into those unless I have to.

paulimerci said:
What do you mean I backfilled?
He just means that maybe you fixed it later, after others had read the OP (your Original Post to start the thread). But as I say above, it was likely just due to the typo in the LaTeX making it not readable, which I fixed a little while after you posted your OP. :smile:

berkeman said:
It was in his OP in two places. It was in his LaTeX work, but initially the LaTeX had an extra "{" character in it that messed up the rendering, so likely you saw his OP before that was fixed. It was also in his hand-drawn sketch that was attached to the OP, but I usually don't click into those unless I have to.He just means that maybe you fixed it later, after others had read the OP (your Original Post to start the thread). But as I say above, it was likely just due to the typo in the LaTeX making it not readable, which I fixed a little while after you posted your OP. :smile:
Thank you for clarifying!

Likes berkeman
phinds said:

I truly appreciate your time and explaining! What do you mean I backfilled?
I’ve learning disabilities and I really want to learn something and I’m not a native English speaker either as you all.
paulimerci said:
Thank you for clarifying!
actually I didn’t edit anything in post #1 so far.

paulimerci said:
What do you mean I backfilled?
See berkeman's post #22. The second paragraph addresses this.

phinds said:
HA, he mixed up the 8 and the 2 and I just went along with him. Good thing SOMEBODY here is paying attention. I was also fooled by the fact that he said the answer is 75. Had he got his numbers right he would have gotten 15 (well, 14.47) and would have questioned the book's answer. The book's answer is right ONLY if you take theta from the perpendicular to the bank, not to the bank, which it normally is taken as in such problems.

Good catch, Mike. That's why Greg pays you the big bucks, huh? :smile:
What do you mean I mixed up 8 and 2? Can you point out where the mistake is?

1. What is the definition of "angle" in this context?

In this context, "angle" refers to the direction or orientation of the boat's movement in relation to its starting point.

2. How can I determine the correct angle for the boat to travel in a straight line?

The correct angle for the boat to travel in a straight line can be determined by using a compass or other navigation tools to find the desired direction of travel and adjusting the boat's steering accordingly.

3. Does the angle of the boat affect its speed?

Yes, the angle of the boat can affect its speed. In general, a boat traveling at a straight angle will have a faster speed than a boat traveling at an angle, as the latter will have to exert more energy to maintain its course.

4. Are there any other factors besides angle that can affect the boat's movement in a straight line?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the boat's movement in a straight line, such as wind, currents, and water conditions. These external factors can cause the boat to drift off course, requiring adjustments to the angle of travel.

5. How can I ensure that the boat is traveling in a straight line?

To ensure that the boat is traveling in a straight line, it is important to regularly check the boat's course using navigation tools and make necessary adjustments to the angle of travel. It is also important to pay attention to external factors that may affect the boat's movement and make corrections as needed.