An Electromagnetic wave goes from air into a medium....

In summary, when an EM wave travels from air to a medium, the wave number doubles and the angular velocity remains the same. This results in a ratio of εr1/εr2=4. The material's magnetic property is not relevant as long as it is the same for both waves. The propagation speed is inversely proportional to the permittivity and the refractive index is also affected by the change in speed. The correct answer is (c) εr1/εr2=4.
palkia

Homework Statement

An EM wave from air enters a medium.
The electric fields are

--> ^
E1 = E01 cos(2πv(z/c-t) x
--> ^
E2 =E02cos(k(2z-ct)x in a medium ,where the wave number k and frequency v refer to their value in air.the medium is non-magnetic.If εr1 and εr2 refer to relative permittivities of air and medium respectively,which of the following is correct

(a)εr1/εr2=1/4
(b))εr1/εr2=1/2
(c))εr1/εr2=4
(d))εr1/εr2=2

Homework Equations

c=ω/k =v [/B]λ=1/ √μ0ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first tried to bring the equation in the form-E0sin(ωt-kz)

Using the relations I found
E1=E01cos(kz-wt)
E2=E02cos(2kz-wt)

So the wave number becomes double and angular velocity remains same

So ω/k= 1/ √μ0ε0
Using this I get εr1/εr2=4

Did I do this correctly?

Can somebody also tell me what factors change when electromagnetic wave changes medium and what's up with refractive index change with it...is it because the velocit changes.I am kinda new to EM waves so that's why I am asking such dufus questions XD

What does non-magnetic field medium do int his question

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
palkia said:
ε

E1 = E01 cos(2πv(z/c-t) x
--> ^
E2 =E02cos(k(2z-ct)x
I assume x is a unit vector indicating the direction of the E field vector?
Using this I get εr1/εr2=4
Did I do this correctly?
you didn't show all your in-between steps but the answer is correct.
Can somebody also tell me what factors change when electromagnetic wave changes medium and what's up with refractive index change with it...is it because the velocity changes.I am kinda new to EM waves so that's why I am asking such dufus questions XD
What does non-magnetic field medium do int his question
If you look at your expression ω/k= 1/√μ0ε0 you can show that the material's magnetic property (i.e. its permeability μ) is irrelevant providing it is the same for both waves E1 and E2. So it doesn't have to be non-magnetic per se.

Remember that the propagation speed ∝ 1/√ε or 1/n and k = 2π/λ and λf = v, f = frequency, v = speed.

rude man said:
I assume x is a unit vector indicating the direction of the E field vector?you didn't show all your in-between steps but the answer is correct.If you look at your expression ω/k= 1/√μ0ε0 you can show that the material's magnetic property (i.e. its permeability μ) is irrelevant providing it is the same for both waves E1 and E2. So it doesn't have to be non-magnetic per se.

Remember that the propagation speed ∝ 1/√ε or 1/n and k = 2π/λ and λf = v, f = frequency, v = speed.
@rude man ## \epsilon_{r1} ## is the air. Please look at his answer again. I believe it is incorrect.

Charles Link said:
@rude man ## \epsilon_{r1} ## is the air. Please look at his answer again. I believe it is incorrect.
I agree, I goofed.
E2 has the lower lambda and so of course the higher permittivity. Sorry, OP.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. It does not require a medium to propagate and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How does an electromagnetic wave go from air into a medium?

When an electromagnetic wave encounters a boundary between air and a medium, such as glass or water, a portion of the wave is reflected while the rest is transmitted into the medium. The amount of reflection and transmission depends on the properties of the medium and the angle of incidence of the wave.

3. What happens to the speed of an electromagnetic wave when it goes from air into a medium?

The speed of an electromagnetic wave changes when it goes from air into a medium. This is because the speed of light, which is the speed of electromagnetic waves, is different in different mediums. The speed of light is slower in materials with a higher index of refraction, such as glass or water, compared to air.

4. Does the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave change when it goes from air into a medium?

Yes, the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave changes when it goes from air into a medium. This is because the speed of light changes, and wavelength is directly proportional to speed. As the speed decreases, the wavelength also decreases.

5. How does the change in wavelength affect the frequency of an electromagnetic wave?

The change in wavelength does not affect the frequency of an electromagnetic wave. Frequency is the number of complete oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields in one second and remains constant regardless of the medium the wave is traveling through. However, the wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional, so as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa.