An equation from terms of operator del to terms of sums

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz force in terms of potentials and how to write the formula using sums and vector components. The Lorentz force is the electromagnetic force on an object with a position and velocity that are functions of time. The resulting equation on the Wikipedia page is ##F_x=q\cdot(-\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}+\sum_i(v_i \cdot (\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x_i})))##.
olgerm
Gold Member
https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/a7fd3adddbdfb95797d11ef6167ecda4efe3e0b9
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force#Lorentz_force_in_terms_of_potentials
How to write this formula in terms of sums and vector components?

What is ##v\cdot\nabla## ? I think it is some spatial derivative of speed, but since speed is not a field, it can not be that.

I think rest of the equation is ##F_x=q\cdot(-\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}+\sum(v_i \cdot \frac{\partial A_i}{\partial x})-?)## .
Is it correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Lorentz force is the electromagnetic force on an object. That object has a position and a velocity, both of which are vector-valued functions of time.

[tex]((\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{A})_x = \sum_{j} v_j \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

pasmith said:
The Lorentz force is the electromagnetic force on an object. That object has a position and a velocity, both of which are vector-valued functions of time.

[tex]((\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{A})_x = \sum_{j} v_j \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

So the equation on Wikipedia page is
##F_x=q\cdot(-\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}+\sum_i(v_i \cdot (\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x_i})))## ?

Is it so?

1. What is an equation from terms of operator del to terms of sums?

An equation from terms of operator del to terms of sums is a mathematical expression that relates the differential operator del to a sum of terms. It is commonly used in vector calculus and physics to simplify equations involving partial derivatives.

2. How is an equation from terms of operator del to terms of sums derived?

The equation from terms of operator del to terms of sums is derived using the identity operator del = ∇ = i∂/∂x + j∂/∂y + k∂/∂z, where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. This identity allows for the expansion of del in terms of sums, which can then be substituted into the original equation.

3. What are some applications of equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums?

Equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums are commonly used in vector calculus to simplify expressions involving partial derivatives. They are also used in physics, particularly in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics, to describe the behavior of vector fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums?

One limitation of using equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums is that they can only be applied to vector fields. They also may not be suitable for more complex equations that involve higher-order derivatives. Additionally, care must be taken when applying these equations, as incorrect substitutions or manipulations can lead to errors in the solution.

5. Can equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, equations from terms of operator del to terms of sums can be generalized to higher dimensions. The same principle of expanding del in terms of sums can be applied in three-dimensional space, as well as in higher dimensions. However, the notation and expressions may become more complex as the number of dimensions increases.