How does the symbol Λ cosmological constant relate to Ω_Λ or ρ_Λ?

In summary: Lambda term in... the Einstein field equation. But if it's not constant, then we would be left with something new and mysterious in addition to the cosmological constant!
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
From sources (see body below) I recently came across the symbol Λ called the "cosmological constant" with a value 10^-53 m^-2. The cosmological constant which I am familiar with is Ω_Λ with approximate value 0.7 (with no units). I was unable to find in these sources a clear explanation about how these two different concepts called "cosmological constant" are related to each other.
My references are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations#Detailed_derivation
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant

Ω_Λ is a term in the Friedmann equation along with terms for radiation, mass, and curvature.
Λ is the coefficient of the term g_μν in the Einstein field equation with right hand side (8 π G / c^2) T_μν.

I would appreciate someone explaining to me how these two different concepts both called "cosmological constant" are related to each other physically.

{\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}\Lambda =3\,\left({\frac {\,H_{0}\,}{c}}\right)^{2}\Omega _{\Lambda }&=1.1056\times 10^{-52}\ {\text{m}}^{-2}\\&=2.888\times 10^{-122}\,l_{\text{P}}^{-2}\end{aligned}}}

The above is a math relationship, but I do not understand the physical implications.

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
I would appreciate someone explaining to me how these two different concepts both called "cosmological constant" are related to each other physically.
They're not two different concepts. They're the same concept expressed in different units. The "math relationship" you refer to is just the conversion between the units. Unfortunately, cosmologists are much less clear about this than they should be.

Likes ohwilleke and Buzz Bloom
From the second link, it says, "Instead of the cosmological constant itself, cosmologists often refer to the ratio between the energy density due to the cosmological constant and the critical density of the universe, the tipping point for a sufficient density to stop the universe from expanding forever. This ratio is usually denoted by ΩΛ."

Likes ohwilleke
@Buzz Bloom PeterDonis is right that these aren't two different concepts, they are just two different ways of expressing the same concept. I don't know if what I'm about to say fully answers your question. But the relationship between the cosmological constant and the dark energy density can be derived from the First Friedmann Equation. This equation describes the relationship between the dynamics of the Universe's expansion, and the density of its mass-energy constituents. In a flat Universe, it is given by:
$$H^2 = \left(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right)^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho_\mathrm{tot}$$
Here, ##a## is the scale factor, and ##\rho_\mathrm{tot}## is the total energy density of all the constituents making up the "perfect" fluid considered to permeate the Universe. (I think it should actually be ##\rho c^2##, but I'm used to using ##c=1## units, and not caring about the distinction between mass density and energy density). So anyway, since I have no curvature term in there (i.e. I'm assuming a flat Universe), it follows also that the total density is equal to the critical density i.e. ##\rho_\mathrm{tot} = \rho_\mathrm{crit}##, or ##\Omega_\mathrm{tot} = 1##. Substituting in the critical density on the righthand side, we can also derive that, at the present day (where ##H = H_0##):
$$\frac{3H_0^2}{8\pi G} = \rho_\mathrm{crit}$$
Let's file that result away for later.

Going back to the First Friedmann equation, we can break up the total density into individual constituents like matter (both baryonic & dark), radiation (photons & relativistic particles), and dark energy: ##\rho_\mathrm{tot} = \rho_m + \rho_r + \rho_{de}##. So the Friedmann equation becomes:
$$H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3}\left(\rho_m + \rho_r\right)+ \frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho_{de}$$
Now, compare this in your head to a version of the Friedmann equation that only considered a Universe with matter and radiation, but then had the cosmological constant term of ##\Lambda/3## tacked on to the righthand side as a sort of "fudge factor". (I think it's actually ##\Lambda c^2/3##. But again, factors of ##c^2## will float around as they do. I care not, for I have set them to unity). The idea here is that if the observed data showing accelerating expansion, which strongly favour non-zero Lambda, can be attributed to some actual substance or field (dubbed "dark energy") permeating space with constant density, then it follows just by comparison of the dark energy term with the Lambda one that:
$$\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho_{de} = \frac{\Lambda}{3}$$
therefore:
$$\Lambda = 8\pi G \rho_{de}$$
So you can see that ##\Lambda## and ##\rho_{de}## (what you call ##\rho_{\Lambda}##) are the same thing, up to a constant of proportionality. And they are both dimensionful constants, it's just that ##\Lambda## absorbs the extra constants of proportionality (##8\pi G##) into the density, giving the cosmo-constant term the same dimensions as the lefthand side: dimensions of "Hubble parameter squared" i.e. 1/time².

We can also relate ##\Lambda## to the dimensionless density parameter for dark energy just by applying the definition of the density parameter for a constituent. It's the ratio of the density of that constituent to the critical density. Here's where we use that result that we filed away. At the present day, this would be given by:
$$\Omega_{\Lambda} \equiv \frac{\rho_{\Lambda}}{\rho_\mathrm{crit}} = \left(\frac{\Lambda}{8\pi G}\right)\left(\frac{8\pi G}{3H_0^2}\right) = \frac{\Lambda}{3H_0^2}$$
This expression for ##\Omega_{\Lambda}## is the same as the one in your OP (up to some factors of ##c## which, again, I don't care about here). And, as we established in my discussion above, ##H_0^2## and ##\Lambda## have the same dimensions, so we know that the units cancel, leaving ##\Omega_{\Lambda}## dimensionless as expected.

Hope that helps, somewhat!

EDIT: note that ##\rho_{de}## may not actually be constant with time. We don't know for sure yet. We need more and better data to be sure, e.g. from cosmology survey telescopes that map out large-scale structure, like WFIRST/Roman and Euclid. If ##\rho_{de}## is constant, then it corresponds to the "Lambda" (cosmo-constant) term in the Friedmann equations. This is the simplest model. But if ##\rho_{de}## varies with time, then it enters into the equation in a scale-factor-dependent way.

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke, Bandersnatch and Buzz Bloom

1. What is the Λ cosmological constant?

The Λ cosmological constant is a term originally introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity to account for a static universe. It represents a constant energy density that is believed to permeate all of space and is responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. How does the Λ cosmological constant relate to ΩΛ?

ΩΛ is the fraction of the total energy density of the universe that is attributed to the Λ cosmological constant. In other words, it represents the ratio of the energy density of the Λ cosmological constant to the critical density of the universe. A value of ΩΛ greater than 1 indicates that the Λ cosmological constant is the dominant source of energy in the universe.

3. What is the significance of ΩΛ in cosmology?

ΩΛ is an important parameter in cosmology as it helps us understand the composition and evolution of the universe. A value of ΩΛ greater than 0 indicates that the universe is currently undergoing accelerated expansion, while a value of ΩΛ equal to 1 would suggest a flat universe. The precise value of ΩΛ is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

4. How does the Λ cosmological constant relate to ρΛ?

ρΛ represents the energy density of the Λ cosmological constant. It is related to ΩΛ through the equation ΩΛ = ρΛc, where ρc is the critical density of the universe. This means that the value of ρΛ is directly proportional to the value of ΩΛ.

5. How does the Λ cosmological constant affect the fate of the universe?

The value of ΩΛ, which is determined by the Λ cosmological constant, has a significant impact on the ultimate fate of the universe. If ΩΛ is greater than 1, the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. If it is less than 1, the universe will eventually stop expanding and begin to contract. If ΩΛ is equal to 1, the universe will reach a state of equilibrium and stop expanding or contracting. The precise value of ΩΛ will determine which of these scenarios will occur.